Cashback scam, Argos.

Options
I just bought something from Argos online for collection. About to Sign Out when a cashback offer appeared that would have paid for the item. I am always suspicious about these offers, so I scrolled down a little. They wanted my card details, so I scrolled down a bit more. It was an agreement to bill me £15 a month from my card, in order to provide me with cashback offers! SSSSCAAAAAMMMMM!!!!

The site is in the USA and the address is:

one-time-offer.com

Probably operating on other online outlets besides Argos by now. Let's be careful out there!
I think this job really needs
a much bigger hammer.

Comments

• teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It's not a scam if they do what they promise, but it's up to you to decide whether the offer is worthwhile. ( It's obviously not, if you aren't a regular customer.)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Robisere wrote: »
    SSSSCAAAAAMMMMM!!!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

It's not.
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It sounds like a total scam. I've seen similar "offers" online. There's so little you can get cashback on that no one would save money by using them. They rely entirely on gullible people not reading the small print.

That makes it a scam in my book.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    esuhl wrote: »
    It sounds like a total scam. I've seen similar "offers" online. There's so little you can get cashback on that no one would save money by using them. They rely entirely on gullible people not reading the small print.

That makes it a scam in my book.

You may call it a scam but what you have described most people would just call it "poor value for money".
  • Autumnella
    Autumnella Posts: 605 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    It's not a scam. I signed up for this this week. You get a months free trial, a £15 welcome bonus when you e-mail them the receipt and a £15 monthly bonus when you buy something else from Argos and send the receipt.

After the months free trial if you don't cancel you get charged £15 per month. The website it's through is called Complete Savings.

So I now have £30 in my bank account already which I wouldn't otherwise have for buying items I was going to purchase anyway and have cancelled the free trial. I would recommend this to anyone who has the sense to read the conditions and cancel before the free trial ends.
    Make £10 per day-
    June: £100/£300
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Its not a scam, you just need to remember to cancel, many posters scream scam when they forget to cancel.
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    How many people do you know, who would just ignore the 'cancel' bit and carry on losing £15 a month? I apolgise for warning people about a possible loss of money, within a Money Saving Site!
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • London50
    London50 Posts: 1,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Robisere wrote: »
    How many people do you know, who would just ignore the 'cancel' bit and carry on losing £15 a month? I apolgise for warning people about a possible loss of money, within a Money Saving Site!

I nthink there is a big difference between anyone NOT reading the full t & c's before signing up to a possible savings or {as you have thread headed your post " cashback scam,Argos".
    Perhaps "just a warning re "Cashback Argos,warning" or some such heading MAY have been better advise.;)
  • fozmcfc
    fozmcfc Posts: 3,098 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    This is a flashback from yesteryear. I thought these cashback things were a thing of the past. I haven't seen or read about one of these offers for ages.

I seem to remember them being offered on lots of sites at one time, Interflora being one such site (IIRC) in the past. I remember a number of quite heated discussions about them on these forums, when people hadn't noticed or known what the £9.99-£14.99, that had been billed to them sometimes for a year or more was for and people saying seriously, you really need to look at your bank account or credit card statement, more often.

I do remember though a lot of people, saying they got 6 or more months refunds, after speaking to someone in the USA.

Not a scam, but certainly, relying on people not noticing the reoccurring subscription and therefore being charged for many months.
  • Pound
    Pound Posts: 2,784 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    So they tell you up front what you're getting and how much you need to pay?

Where's the scam?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport