Playstation 4 Virtual Reality

Options

Comments

• Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    The PS3 (one of the most common blu-ray players) supported 3D blu-rays and the 3D blu-rays were only a few pounds more - the point was it wasn't cost that killed 3D, it's the fact it wasn't very good. VR on the other hand is much more expensive but it's already doing reasonably well despite the very high cost of entry because it has very obvious benefits that are worth paying for.

John
  • fleshandbone
    Options
    I have 2 very important words to say about VR "Motion Sickness"
  • donnajunkie
    donnajunkie Posts: 32,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Johnmcl7 wrote: »
    The PS3 (one of the most common blu-ray players) supported 3D blu-rays and the 3D blu-rays were only a few pounds more - the point was it wasn't cost that killed 3D, it's the fact it wasn't very good. VR on the other hand is much more expensive but it's already doing reasonably well despite the very high cost of entry because it has very obvious benefits that are worth paying for.

John
    we still enjoy 3d blurays. you can still find some 3d movies on skys on demand service also. for anyone interested, go to the sky cinema section then collections and you will see 3d there. we watched the walk on this in 3d and it is awesome. i wish they wouldnt look at 3d as a premium service and just include it as one of the many functions instead.
  • donnajunkie
    Options
    imagine a sonic game in vr. personally though i would love to get vr but i wouldnt pay anymore than £100 for it. the biggest appeal to me is exploring virtual worlds rather than the actual gameplay.
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options

Motion Sickness is a problem for VR but it can be avoided, it's extremely important that VR is done properly hence the high cost of the Rift and the Vive - both have screens which refresh at a high rate and dedicated tracking systems to ensure all head movements are correctly tracked. One of the big causes of motion sickness in VR is lag in the physical movement of the headset and the update on the screens inside the headset.

Controls are another problem, having a normal walking motion in VR tends to cause motion sickness as you have a walking sensation but you're physically standing still. Developers have been able to work around this by adapting the controls to avoid motion sickness, teleport motion has become quite popular in first person views.

One of the advantages with PS VR is that all games released have to pass Sony's certification rules and it's a fairly safe bet that they won't allow any badly designed VR apps that cause motion sickness. That said I haven't had any issues with motion sickness on the PC nor has anyone I've have a go with it aside from Project Cars or watching bike footage. I tried one of the original VR systems in the 90's (the huge clunky ones) and I barely managed 30 seconds before I felt too ill and had to get the headset off.

John
  • somethingcorporate
    Options
    Does anyone have the PS VR and can give an honest review?

I am tempted to buy but the price is really high for not having tested it personally.
    Thinking critically since 1996....
  • Marvqn1
    Marvqn1 Posts: 634 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Does anyone have the PS VR and can give an honest review?

I am tempted to buy but the price is really high for not having tested it personally.

I thought that PS VR requires a PS4 Pro, and that isn't released yet?
  • donnajunkie
    Options
    Marvqn1 wrote: »
    I thought that PS VR requires a PS4 Pro, and that isn't released yet?

No, it will work with any PS4. Although performance is expected to be better with the PS4 pro.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I bought the Kinect when it came out, regretted it. Not making the same mistake and going to wait a few months to see how it takes off, even then I would need a demo.
    I even know people who haven't upgraded to bluray and still watch dvds. If people are happy with what they have then in most cases they won't upgrade to something new if it costs more.

I am one of them, still do DVDs, most are like £5 more and when buying a few it all adds up. I watched Blu-Ray once on my PS3 and for me it made no difference so I stick to DVDs.

I wear glasses and watching 3D like I have done in the cinema is not comfortable.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    cjdavies wrote: »
    I wear glasses and watching 3D like I have done in the cinema is not comfortable.

I'm the same, thought it was just me. 3D just hasn't interested me yet and I don't think it will.

I don't have a TV that's worth watching blu rays on so will stick to DVD's for the time being.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure