Eon energy reviews: Give your feedback

Comments

• csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Been with EON for more than a year now and recently switched my parents house to them as well as they are the cheapest of the larger companies (Including the 15 pounds Tesco points).

Their online system is easy to navigate and you can switch to a cheaper EON tariff without exit fees during the course of your fix which is great.

their App is also quite useful, although I would like to see the ability to manage multiple properties on the APP like EDF do.
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • I have been on eon duel fuel but when setting up the account they said there was no option for a 1 bedroom house. They wanted me to put down the property as a 2 bedroom house but the payments were really high, so I got them to put down a 1 bedroom flat, but now I have been hit with a bill of 500£! Is this legal??? Help please

Footprint
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I have been on eon duel fuel but when setting up the account they said there was no option for a 1 bedroom house. They wanted me to put down the property as a 2 bedroom house but the payments were really high, so I got them to put down a 1 bedroom flat, but now I have been hit with a bill of 500£! Is this legal??? Help please

Footprint

Hi - welcome to the forum. Your monthly payment is nothing more than a 'payment on account'. You will have been placed on a tariff and you will be billed for the energy that you have used. Your post suggests that this bill has come as a shock. The first thing to check is that the bill is based on an ACTUAL meter reading not an estimate. If it is an estimate, then read your meter and pass the reading on to E.on who will then raise an amended bill.

The only way to avoid ahocks is to provide the supplier with frequent meter readings. The supplier has every right to bill you for the energy used, so I am afraid what E.on is doing is legal.
  • Well our payments went up from 68£ a month to 93£ up until July 16 but we want to move house soon, they said our balance is 160£ but when u add up 93£ until July it's around 500£. Does this mean I can pay 160£ and leave eon or do I owe them 500£?

Thanks

Footprint
  • System
    edited 23 January 2016 at 7:10PM
    You need to get an accurate bill from E.oN. You can do this online. A credit/debit balance is only accurate on the day a bill is raised provided it is based on an ACTUAL meter reading. Provided that any amount owed is reasonable, then E.oN will not stop you leaving. Why switch when E.oN's V19 tariff is very competitive? Don't switch just to try to get lower payments: it's a flawed concept.

If you moving house, then E.oN will not stop you but it will want to be paid any money due.
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Well our payments went up from 68£ a month to 93£ up until July 16 but we want to move house soon, they said our balance is 160£ but when u add up 93£ until July it's around 500£. Does this mean I can pay 160£ and leave eon or do I owe them 500£?

Thanks

Footprint

If the readings are accurate, there's no way escaping your energy bill. If you used it you must pay for it like everyone else.

Moving house is not an excuse to avoid your responsibilities. Pay up like everyone else.
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • System
    edited 23 January 2016 at 7:29PM
    Well our payments went up from 68£ a month to 93£ up until July 16 but we want to move house soon, they said our balance is 160£ but when u add up 93£ until July it's around 500£. Does this mean I can pay 160£ and leave eon or do I owe them 500£?

Thanks

Footprint

Ok - let's try and work out what might be happening here. A few assumptions:

1. E.oN was billing for 12 months at £68 per month.

2. At the 6 month point, you would seem to be £150 in arrears, so E.oN has increased your payments by £25 per month for the next 6 months (which equals £150 extra)

3. If you continue to use energy at the assumed amended usage, then your debt will reduce by £25 per month.

It follows that if E.oN is right, then at the end of your contract term, your balance will be zero.

You still need to check that E.oN has used an ACTUAL meter reading to re-assess your monthly payments.

Finally, I should add for clarity that if you leave tomorrow, then you would only owe E.oN £150. Energy isn't like a Sky contract, you only pay for the energy that you use plus any exit fee.
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    csgohan4 wrote: »
    Been with EON for more than a year now and recently switched my parents house to them as well as they are the cheapest of the larger companies (Including the 15 pounds Tesco points).

Their online system is easy to navigate and you can switch to a cheaper EON tariff without exit fees during the course of your fix which is great.

their App is also quite useful, although I would like to see the ability to manage multiple properties on the APP like EDF do.

Hi csgohan4

Glad you find our website okay to navigate and the App to be useful. I'll certainly pass your feedback about multiple properties to our digital team. There's quite a lot of development going on around the App at the moment. Can't promise anything put happy to put the suggestion forward.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I have been on eon duel fuel but when setting up the account they said there was no option for a 1 bedroom house. They wanted me to put down the property as a 2 bedroom house but the payments were really high, so I got them to put down a 1 bedroom flat, but now I have been hit with a bill of 500£! Is this legal??? Help please

Footprint

Thanks

Footprint

Hi Footprint2010 and welcome to the Forums.

Already some excellent advice on here. Thought I'd stop by with some additional information. We certainly won't try to stop you moving house. That has nothing to do with us. As Hengus says, when you move, we'll issue a final bill and ask for payment of any debit balance at that time. I also agree with Hengus' breakdown of what looks to have happened here.

Payments are based on current prices and past usage. I suspect, we didn't have any history for your house/circumstances so estimated an amount based on the type of property. It looks as though these initial payments weren't covering the amount of energy being used and this led to a debit balance of £160. At the six monthly review, it appears we upped your monthly payments to cover the ongoing usage and to clear this balance by the time of the annual review. Our aim is to achieve as near as possible to a zero balance by the time of the annual review.

As Hengus says, make sure the bills are based on accurate meter readings. If they're estimated, please let us have up to date readings. We'll be happy to rebill to these and review the payment arrangement. Also, please let us have the details when you move out including the closing meter readings. We'll make sure the account is closed properly and issue an accurate final bill. Any remaining arrears will be included in this final charge. There won't, though, be any future charges of £93 per month once the account is closed.

Before you leave and to help you keep track of the payment arrangement, you can use an online tool called the 'Direct Debit Manager.' If you've registered with our website, you can use this to make changes, including to the amount, so payments better reflect usage. Provided the account is billed up to the latest meter readings, payments can be changed by up to 20 per cent up or down. By up to 5 per cent up or down without readings. Before confirming the change, we'll let you know by how much we anticipate the account will be in credit/debit by the time of the annual review if payments are changed but usage doesn't alter as expected.

I've speculated quite a bit here Footprint2010 and sorry if I'm wide of the mark but hope it helps explain.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • CeeJay80
    CeeJay80 Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 27 January 2016 at 10:56AM
    We changed in the September 15 deal and so far, Eon have been awful. We're on a quarterly pay on receipt of bill agreement (it's not the cheapest but it's how we prefer to manage our finances). We supplied readings for a bill in November (which was paid) then had a visit from a meter reader on 31st Dec. The meter reader made a complete hash of entering our readings (took him several attempts) but said that everything was fine.

A few days later, we received and email from Eon saying that our readings didn't tally and we needed to get in touch. Cue the first of MANY long phone calls (up to 45 mins on hold). When I eventually spoke to someone they said that there was some confusion over the Daytime and Economy 7 readings - the ones taken on 31st Dec didn't tally with mine taken in Nov. I was told to take readings over the next couple of hours before Economy seven kicked in and a couple afterwards, so that they could confirm that we were supplying the correct details (this despite me telling them that the meter reader was clearly the one at fault. Eon said they'd call back the following evening but didn't. I rang the next day (4th Jan, 30 mins on hold) and gave the customer service assistant my meter readings. She said that everything was fine and I need not do anything else.

Last week, Eon emailed again, saying that I needed to get in touch about my account and followed up with another email notifying me of a bill for £40. Again, I rang them (25 mins on hold) and was told that the meter readings that I supplied on the 4th hadn't been entered onto my account! This time they took the readings, assured me everything was fine now and transferred me to the complaints department who asked me not to go to the ombudsman and offered a cheque for £30 as compensation for all of the hassle and phone calls.

Today, I've received yet another email from Eon, notifying me of a bill for £160. I'm yet to try calling but I expect a long wait time and inept service yet again. I'm going to refuse to pay the bill on principle - I settled the last (accurate) bill in full and we're not due another until February. Surely they can't just bill us when they feel like it if we've signed a contract for quarterly bills?

I've never had so much trouble with a supplier (I'd tell anyone I know to avoid Eon at all costs) and intend to change as soon as possible but won't pay the £30 exit fees.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback