Dunster House Log Cabnis, nice cabin shame about the ingrained dirt

Comments

• itsadoozy
    itsadoozy Posts: 12 Forumite
    I just posted on another 'Beware' thread.

To answer the last post, the only way to find out it to call their sales. I bought a log cabin approx 4 yrs ago, and I have since moved house and want to get another cabin. I called and asked if they give discounts to returning customers, and they said yes, I think it was 15% but don't quote me, as it was over 6 months ago. I'm still saving for the cabin I want.

When I bought my first log cabin (Deluxe Severn 500) it had a higher pitch roof than the current models, due to changes in planning rules. I installed myself, with help from neighbour and a couple of family members. It too a dry weekend to erect, on top of prepared concrete slabs, which I had let settle for a week prior.

I added felt to the wooden roof before tacking the shingles. I used extra tar type sealer under each shingle. It looked great and never leaked.

I found the erection simple, and once fitted with Kingspan insulation, and plasterboards, was decorated and worked as my all year round home office. The only heating needed in winter was a portable oil filled radiator I bought from Costco. I used to set this to 21 degrees C and it would keep the ambient temp just right for office working, with a couple of computers running.

I bought the cabin for around £2500-£3000 and 4 yrs later sold my house with an additional £10,000 value added due to the home office at the bottom of the garden. So a wise investment, I want to repeat again.

My dealings with DH were problem free. The product was of great quality, and simple to build. The delivery was by a polish driver who was built like a brick cabin ;-) and he filled my car port with all the planks by himself in record time.

So I can't speak for anybody else's experience, but my first dealings were excellent, and I am a happy customer very likely to buy again.

When I do get my second cabin, I wil post my experience here, as I appreciate my dealings were 4yrs ago, and things may well have changed. DH do seem to have more locations, and have expanded, so that may have affected customer service and quality ??

One thing I can recommend to anybody who works from home or has flexible working, is that a home office compared to working in a spare room, is a world apart. I have had to revert to a spare room in my new house, due to lack of log cabin, and I hate it. Having a separate building where you can call work, helps balance family and work life. Plus, any man who wants his own domain, needs a man shed ;-p I'm sure ladies don't need such a space, as they have the entire house :-)
  • I read this thread while considering Dunster House for a log cabin and was very worried about placing an order based on some of the comments. So have signed up to let people know my experience.
    As I couldn't get the same spec for the same pice elsewhere I decided to go to the Bedford branch and have a look round / talk to the sales guys. When you get there you can't look around on your own, the staff are obviously on comission and they dont want you to leave without placing an order. The cabin I wanted wasn't there but the same style in a different size was. The sales guy was helpful and showed me what I wanted to see. When I said I wanted to talk about placing an order we went into a sales type room and I asked him about customer service, delivery etc, the bad reviews where brushed off but he made it very clear that it was "roadside delivery only" for an able bodied person. He said all after delivery issues needed to be via email. And obviously that most of the customers where happy! I went on a Sunday and it was busy there. The sales guy didn't even bother to try and sell me the "extras", he told me that their wood treatment was cheaper online and what it was, he also said that if I was going for roof felt and guttering to go to Wickes. I decided to take the chance and place an order so paid a deposit. I was told conformation email would be with me in a couple of hours and that delivery would be about 3 weeks.
    The email didn't come, I had to chase that up the following day by emailing the sales guy direct who sold me the cabin. I got a reply and conformation within the hour of my email. Next I heard was a phone call about a week later to arrange delivery. It was just over 3 weeks following the order date.
    Delivery is between 8:30 and 6pm. Mine was delivered at 4:45 so a long day waiting for it but I guess somebody has to be last. As people have said the driver was polite enough but was not leaving the back of the flatbed lorry and passed me log peice by piece. It took almost an hour and was hard work. I don't think my wife would have managed on her own. They leave all the rubbish with you! There is simply too much to check that its all OK so I had to sign delivery note that it was OK. I made a point of checking the glass and loose parts such as door handles screws etc.
    On to building the cabin the following weekend and I had a few spare logs, one log was a little bowed but I didn't need to use it. Some did have slight damamge to end of the T&G but I was easily able to position these where they would not be seen. People that said the instructions are not clear may have a point as they are generic and apply to all cabins, but it you are quite handy and do a lot of DIY you will have no problems with them, I hardly looked at them to be honest.
    I have now built the cabin and finished treating the outside today, it looks great, next job is the floor. I glad I chose Dunster House despite some of the comments, maybe I was lucky I don't know.
    Time will tell how the cabin lasts.
  • The reviews of Dunster House here are, on the whole, quite negative, and a bit scary for someone about to spend another £5,000 - £6,000 with the company. We will go by our own experience, which has been largely positive.

We ordered the Deluxe Avon Plus 300 ( 3m X 3m)log cabin in the summer of 2011. It was the first time we had ever built anything like it, and could only work on it at weekends, so it took a very long time. As others have commented, the instructions are a bit vague. However, once the base was laid, the slotted timber system made it possible for our two children (then 7 and 11) to help out in building the inner and outer walls. My husband laid the concrete base and did the bigger jobs of cutting in the windows and doors and slotting in the insulation and we covered it all under a big tarp during the weekdays. It all came together eventually. We painted it, put down laminate flooring and had electricians wire in the circuit box. We bought our decking, guttering, lighting, laminate flooring and paint from B&Q. I moved in the first week in November, 2011. With all this, it probably cost about £5,000.

This building has changed my life! Both my husband and I work from home, in separate businesses, and I needed my own space after several years of working out of the kitchen. It is my art studio, my "office", my children's homework and tutoring room and generally, my haven. It has been used, comfortably, every day since, 12 months a year. The floor, though insulated, can get a bit cold, but nothing a little rug couldn't fix. The only issue with the building itself has been a little settling of the interior timber planks, leaving a few gaps, but nothing too troubling.

If I had it to do over again, I would have ordered 1) a larger building and 2) one with a larger overhang in front. Therefore, we are about to order our second Dunster House log cabin; this time it will probably be something like the Deluxe Severn 400 (5m X 4m with a 1m overhang in front). We will need someone else to build this one. I will move in there, and my husband will move into my present studio.

As far as customer service goes, my impression of Dunster House is that it's less than warm and friendly and not proactively helpful. You have to work hard to get what you want/need. However, that is unfortunately my impression of most British companies.
  • redlorry919
    redlorry919 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 11 October 2013 at 9:38PM
    I'd strongly advise against using Dunster House. We recently spent over £6,500 with them and had issues with broken parts, long wait times for replacements then even incorrect replacements turning up!

On top of this they only have email for customer support, no telephone line! Although they have one for sales. When you're trying to get your 6.5k log cabin water tight with replacement parts you really need to speak with someone, not wait for a response on email. In addition, it didn't help that their email service went down one Monday with my emails bouncing from their site.

There's a number of other big issues I've had with them that I posted on a review site, but their legal team has had the post removed and are threatening to sue me. Hence I wont duplicate here. This is really far from what I had hoped after spending so much money.

In my opinion I'd recommend to entirely avoid using Dunster House.
  • drarchie
    drarchie Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 4 February 2014 at 7:18PM
    Here's a copy of an email I sent to Dunster House 'Customer Services' and their reply. They would not give me a phone number so I had to send an email. Their reply sums up their attitude towards customers, once the money is in their bank account. If only I had read this forum before buying...

Dear Sir/Madam, I recently bought a Deluxe Modetro 350 with Sidestore (Order no.XXX), which you installed in my back garden between the 7th and 9th January 2014. Whilst I am generally happy with the product, there is a problem which you need to resolve. Namely, the door to the sidestore is stuck shut and will not open despite my best efforts. Please note that I have had no problem in opening the doors to the main Modetro building itself and so this problem cannot be attributed to the recent heavy rains. The door needs some sort of adjustment. Also, after your installers left, I noticed that a 3.5 m long wooden board had been left behind the Modetro. This is identical to those which form part of the back wall of the main Modetro building. I did not check behind the building at the time as I trusted your installers and leaving this board behind was probably an oversight on their part. Please could you remove this large wooden board from my garden. Finally, I have noticed that a small dark patch has developed on the floor of the Modetro, but this is not due to either leakage from the roof nor a mark from somebody's shoes. I would like to know the cause of this patch. I look forward to hearing from you in the near future and trust you will be visiting to resolve these problems. Yours faithfully,

Dear XXXX, Thank you for your email. It sounds as though the timber in the door has expanded in the recent weather causing the door to stick. We would recommend attempting to lift the door when trying to open it. If this does not work you may need to use a lever action with a crowbar or similar in order to force open the door. Once this is done you will likely need to adjust the hinges of the door in order to re-fit it. Please see the following video guide for instructions on how to do this: <video link>. Regarding the spare timber left on site, we do supply our cabin with spare timbers in case any parts are required to be cut on site. The spares are considered a part of the product and left on site in case they are required in the future. Please use this timber as you wish, we will not be returning to site to collect this part. Yours sincerely Keith Customer Services Dunster House Ltd
  • drarchie
    drarchie Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 4 February 2014 at 7:38PM
    Here is my experience of Dunster House Customer 'Service'. They don't seem to have improved since negative comments were made in the past. Has any had a similar experience? My advice would be to avoid this company.
    [FONT=&quot]Dear Sir/Madam,[/FONT][FONT=&quot]I recently bought a Deluxe Modetro 350 with Sidestore (Order no.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]SO067761), which you installed in my back garden between the 7th and 9th January 2014.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Whilst I am generally happy with the product, there is a problem which you need to resolve. Namely, the door to the sidestore is stuck shut and will not open despite my best efforts. Please note that I have had no problem in opening the doors to the main Modetro building itself and so this problem cannot be attributed to the recent heavy rains. The door needs some sort of adjustment.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Also, after your installers left, I noticed that a 3.5 m long wooden board had been left behind the Modetro. This is identical to those which form part of the back wall of the main Modetro building. I did not check behind the building at the time as I trusted your installers and leaving this board behind was probably an oversight on their part.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Please could you remove this large wooden board from my garden.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Finally, I have noticed that a small dark patch has developed on the floor of the Modetro, but this is not due to either leakage from the roof nor a mark from somebody's shoes. I would like to know the cause of this patch.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]I look forward to hearing from you in the near future and trust you will be visiting to resolve these problems.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Yours faithfully,
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Dear XXXX,[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Thank you for your email. It sounds as though the timber in the door has expanded in the recent weather causing the door to stick. We would recommend attempting to lift the door when trying to open it. If this does not work you may need to use a lever action with a crowbar or similar in order to force open the door.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Once this is done you will likely need to adjust the hinges of the door in order to re-fit it. Please see the following video guide for instructions on how to do this:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] XXXXXXX[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Regarding the spare timber left on site, we do supply our cabin with spare timbers in case any parts are required to be cut on site. The spares are considered a part of the product and left on site in case they are required in the future. Please use this timber as you wish, we will not be returning to site to collect this part.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Yours sincerely[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Keith[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Customer Services[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Dunster House Ltd
    [/FONT] [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Dear Keith,

In my initial email I pointed out that the problem with the door stuck shut in the sidestore is not due to the recent heavy rains, since there was no such problem with the main Modetro building. You have completely ignored this point.

Under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 goods must be fit for purpose. As the door to the sidestore will not open, I am unable to store anything and so the sidestore is clearly not fit for purpose. This being the case, the trader (Dunster House) is obliged to repair or replace the goods (sidestore) at their expense. You installed this cabin less than a month ago and so I don't want to hear any excuses about bad weather or, for that matter, any quotes from your reams of Terms and Conditions.

As regards the 3.5 m long plank of wood, I did not ask you to leave it in my garden, I have no use for it whatsoever and so I expect you to remove it in the near future.

Yours sincerely,

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Dear XXXX,[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Thank you for your email. The cabin is constructed of timber which is an unpredictable material and can expand and contract in unanticipated ways. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]When we completed the build, you signed the completion certificate to state that all of the windows and doors on your cabin were fully functional; please see below:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]We do not know what has happened to the door since we erected the building, but due to the extreme amount of rain that the country has received it is highly likely that the timber has expanded as I stated previously. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] As I stated previously we will not be returning to collect the log as it is a part of the cabin kit.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Yours sincerely[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Keith[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Customer Services
    Dunster House Ltd[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Dear Sir,

The signed build completion certificate you sent me is completely irrelevant. For example, if I bought a washing-machine and signed it off as working for the delivery men but it broke down within 3 weeks, I would entitled to either a repair or a refund, regardless of what I had signed.

Also, it is an insult to my intelligence to say that the 3.5 m plank dumped in my back garden was left there as "a part of the cabin kit".

Calling yourselves 'Customer Service' seems a complete misnomer; 'Customer Excuses' would be more appropriate.

From my research on the internet, it is evident that there is no point whatsoever in my continuing to request you to resolve these two issues. The following comment about Dunster House Customer 'Service' being typical:
    XXXXX
    Instead, I have already written about your attitude towards customer service in the MoneySavingExpert.com Forum and shall now do the same in as many other fora as possible.
    In addition, I shall now be seeking legal advice since, under the Sale of Goods Act 1979, goods must be fit for purpose.

Prior to contacting Dunster House Customer Services I would have been quite happy to recommend your company to friends and family, as I am pleased with the basic quality of the building.
    However, after being treated in such a shoddy and dismissive manner (despite spending more than £7,400) over problems you should have resolved, I am not now in a position to do so.

Yours faithfully,

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Dear XXXX,[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Thank you for your email. Please find the full document attached, please note the first page where you signed to state that you understand that the natural movement of timber is the responsibility of yourself to monitor and make necessary adjustments to counteract. I am happy to advise you further on performing these adjustments but we will not be returning to your site to perform them for you. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Thank you for informing us that you will be posting reviews of our service Thank you for your email. Please be advised that in the event that you make any libellous or slanderous comments about our Company, products or services then we will pass the case on to our Legal Department and seek third party advice.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Yours sincerely[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Keith[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Customer Services
    Dunster House Ltd[/FONT]
  • sol1
    sol1 Posts: 1 Newbie
    I am so pleased I saw the reports about the delivery regarding this company.

I was about to order a log cabin from them!! I eventually found their terms and conditions right at the bottom in thin writing and unlike other companies, the customer has to sign on delivery that everything is there and not damaged before the driver leaves. How is this possible with a large item? Other companies give you 7 days or at least 24 hours to check.

Looking at their colourful and interesting website this was the last thing I was thinking about. They must really rely on people like me!! Other companies list on the left-hand side how long you get to report loss and damage and that they will refund if they cant replace, as one of their selling points. All the other facts about bad customer service, etc. I only picked up from here. I thank all the people who contributed to this discussion.
  • jamesperrett
    jamesperrett Posts: 1,009
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Just thought I'd update my previous post about Log Cabins Online as it seems they keep an eye on the forum and mentioned my previous post when we went back for another cabin.

We've had a second, smaller log cabin from them for over a year now with no problems. We ended up getting them to build it for us as they were able to offer a much better deal this time - probably due to the site being level rather than on a slope as before. The cabin itself is smaller and made of thinner logs so it loses heat a bit faster than the bigger one but my wife enjoys working in it and we'd still go back to them in the unlikely event that we'd need another one.

James.
  • JooFox
    JooFox Posts: 111 Forumite
    I'm on the verge of ordering from Dunster house, and got slightly disturbed by the reviews I've found. I noticed that they are all from users who have 1 or 2 postings so I'm hoping that they aren't genuine.

Anyone else got any experience of them?
  • being the gullible fool that I am, I've just taken delivery of a dunster house log cabin before reading the reviews on this site :(

to keep it short these are my experiences;

1) delivery - no time given - had to wait in all day, very frustrating but was made aware of this before ordering
    2) delivery guy - very helpful pleasant guy
    3) the product - (advised by builder friend) - good quality
    4) installation - unless you are a top diyer do not even think about it - the sales guy gave the impression that even my 65yr old dad could do it. I used 2 builders I trusted who erected it in 2 days and much cheaper than dh labour costs

so far all very very positive.... however my 2 doors both had nasty cracks on them which made them unusable and virtually unrepairable. at this stage I was so pleased with dh this didn't even worry me. I dropped them a quick email with pics attached and even offered to drop the doors back when I collected the replacements as the Bedford site was only 45mins away......

however dh had different ideas. refused to accept anything was faulty, kept sending me copies of [EMAIL="t&#64;cs"]t@cs[/EMAIL] and refused to take any of my calls. after several days and many emails nothing is resolved

the cabin looks fantastic, is solid and was a very good price.... BUT because of the after sales service my advice to everyone is DO NOT BUY FROM DUNSTER HOUSE
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure