Dunster House Log Cabnis, nice cabin shame about the ingrained dirt

Comments

• leona71
    leona71 Posts: 618 Forumite
    Well all i can say is i'm glad i read this thread, will seek out another Company for our summer house :)
    Envy is the most stupid of vices, for there is no single advantage to be gained from it.:A
  • trjohn
    trjohn Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 17 January 2012 at 9:09PM
    While writing this post, I realised that it was too long and rambling, so I've tried to shorten it.
    Placed and received a correctly printed acknowledgement.
    Came to pay pre delivery, they tried to charge several hundred pounds more than the order acknowledgement. Sorted out on phone.
    Delivery, two lorries, three men, one man pleasant and competent, one man arrogant and loud mouthed, and had to be told not to swear in front of me by pleasant one, one incompetent, the last two wanted to use my inside toilet within ten minutes of arriving. Impossible to check all the parts, but obvious I had five sets of barn doors instead of the three sets of up and over doors on the order acknowledgement. Attitude of arrogant one, nothing to do with me guv., no I can't give you a number to ring, you gotta email customer services.
    Customer services took a day to agree to order the right doors, but I was to keep the wrongly delivered doors safe, no date could be given for delivery of correct doors, but could be up to four weeks.
    After five weeks with not contact, I emailed CS again, eventual told an approximate date when the doors would be in stock, this date comes, local depot, no not in, trouble with supplier, ask for managing directors name, not company policy to say, Email CS asking for MDs name, not company policy to say.
    Search internet get directors names, three, all called Murphy, email CS addressed to MD asking where are doors, and saying if not delivered in weeks time will inform credit card co.of failure to deliver, get impersonal reply from CS saying they "can't deliver doors they haven't got!" Get phone call from depot day before deadline to say delivery next day.
    Redelivery, same arrogant loud mouth, with less effectual minder, who I try to advise that he is a bad representative for his company, he gets the hump I order him to leave my property, his minder not interested, not my problem guv.
    Doors now in place, overall the basic log cabin is ok, the personal doors are complete rubbish and will have to be replaced, the supplied roofing felt is also rubbish as is customer services and the delivery operative.
    The really ironic twist is that the up and over doors come from a well known manufacturer only15 miles from me, who I'm sure had them in stock all the time
  • My father purchased a summer house from Dunster House based in Bedford after reading their website and good reviews, which in his own opinion,and experience, and reading complaints on other forums appears to be fabricated.

On arrival of the summerhouse, the item was not as specified,parts broken which could not be seen immediately as in so many pieces, the sizes and dimensions were incorrect to the extent that the item could not be fitted together.
    Upon visiting them and having to sign in to gain entrance, no technical person, or anyone that could assist my queries. Upon calling by telephone, I was responded with"put all queries in writing". I explained I was in the process of putting together and that someone could easily help me on the phone, but was again advised, "put in writing". After reading other forums of a similar nature, I have had to resort to Trading Standards and a legal approach to resolve the problems that could have easily have been rectified, but customer service and support from this company is atrocious. Buyers beware!
    We have just had a Dunster House log cabin built.

It is beautiful, except when you step inside and see the dirt on some of the timber which does not come off easily. The builders tried to hide it as much as possible especially as it was a double skin wall so as to place the dirty side out of sight, but there are still some eyesores left.

I contacted Dunster asking what to do about it - expecting some suggestions on how to clean it. Instead came a get out saying we signed a delivery note so we cannot reject the materials and a standard disclaimer reply saying "Our log cabins are supplied as garden buildings and to the standards normally associated with this type of product. We do not claim or charge to supply and construct a product similar to more expensive joinery manufactured timber products fitted into domestic houses. We sell thousands of these Log cabins too many satisfied customers and all have the same standard."

So to all of you who have bought a log cabin, whether from Dunster or not....

1) The materials delivered was a whole lorry load, I would say more than 200 pieces of timber. Is it reasonable to expect the consumer to inspect each and every one on BOTH SIDES looking for dirt. It was hard enough trying to spot the damaged pieces (there was one and this was only spotted as the plastic covering was pierced where the fork lift truck must have missed the underside of the pallet and it got inside instead). If this went to court, have I waived my rights by signing the delivery?

2) Is it 'normal' and are other customer's satisfied with their brand new log cabins if the timber has black marks on it with ingrained dirt? Are we being too fussy?

Any comments appreciated
  • BEWARE OF DUNSTER HOUSE. I ordered a children's 'fort' only to have to cancel the following week. Despite using this as a sales point on their website, using their own delivery drivers is simply a way for them to save money. I was informed when I called back that someone would need to be present on the day of the delivery to actually help the driver unload the vehicle. When I explained that I am currently 7 months pregnant and that my husband works 6 days a week, instead of guaranteeing a Sunday delivery for instance their response was to 'ask a neighbour'. Now not only can you not ask a neighbour to wait in all day for your delivery, they won't specify a time, the chances of having a male neighbour around again is quite slim. Let's face it, the majority of neighbours who are likely to be available are mums who are off for a reason, looking after their children! The very helpful evening manager happily cancelled my order stating that if I wanted an extra delivery driver it would cost them more money and therefore me more money so unless I was willing to pay they would not deliver. When I explained that I had never encountered a company who were not able to unload the products, he genuinly seemed shocked and asked how I normally had goods delivered...now I know that I am not unique in this instance, but when I pay for delivery (yes, you still have to pay for delivery with Dunster House even though they will only supply one driver to delivery kerbside) I expect the company delivering to unload and delivery to if not the room itself then at least the front door. Again, he was genuinly shocked when I explained this.
    I was so upset as this was due to be my son's birthday present, so the next day I sent an email to customer services requesting them to reconsider as I very much liked the look of their product. I heard nothing. So, I called in and spoke to two employees who informed me that I would hear back from Customer Services. I am still waiting for that response.
    HONESTLY, THE WORST EVER SERVICE I HAVE RECEIVED. THERE IS A REASON THEY ARE CHEAPER THAN COMPETITORS AND THAT IS BECAUSE THEY DO NOT INVEST IN THE DELIVERY OF THEIR GOODS AND CLEARLY THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE AND MANAGEMENT STAFF.
  • MDC_3
    MDC_3 Posts: 1 Newbie
    I totally agree with all the previous posts. The company is very unhelpful and what should have been a pleasant purchase became both stressful and unpleasant. Phone around befor buying and ask these people if you do buy from them all the questions the other people posting have raise.
    I would never deal with them again and would definately NOT recommend them.
  • geoffky
    geoffky Posts: 6,835 Forumite
    Sounds like a company to avoid...customer service ! whats that guv...
    i hope wasters like these go bust..

I wonder if its the guy who used to do the kitchens but was chased by trading standards?
    It is nice to see the value of your house going up'' Why ?
    Unless you are planning to sell up and not live anywhere, I can;t see the advantage.
    If you are planning to upsize the new house will cost more.
    If you are planning to downsize your new house will cost more than it should
    If you are trying to buy your first house its almost impossible.
  • Gazzza
    Gazzza Posts: 6 Forumite
    On balance to some of the issues posted here, I recently ordered a couple of forts and bridges to connect them, from Dunster. To be fair to them, if you read their t&cs and delivery info on their website they are pretty clear about what they will won't do re. delivery and technically their T&C's are kerbside only.

When I ordered I did try and push the sales guy for a more specific answer about the amount of help we would receive as it was my wife taking delivery, and he did say the deliver driver "should" help though he wouldn't really commit. When it actually came to it, they gave us a very approximate indication of when it might come on the day (though wouldn't guarantee) and in practice the driver was really helpful - for most of the easy to carry pieces he off loaded from the truck to the driveway whilst my wife ferried the items to the garge, and for the larger pieces they carried them together to the garge. After unloading he went through the delviery note pack by pack, kit by kit and identified off all loose items. It was all actually pretty efficient, and the components were well packed and laid out.

One major component was missing from the delivery. The driver was very apologetic gave us a short delivery note. They did want us to email customer services when we phoned which is a bit annoying, but to be fair they pretty efficiently despatched and supplied the missing piece within a week, so thumbs up there, but really in my opinion they need telephone support too.

The basic tower kits go up fairly easily if you are building them per the instructions. The floor of each tower and the two roof pitchs are pre-built which is good. We spotted a couple of errors in the intrustions (the maxifort tower quotes the wrong sized beam in one instance - the component list show 70x35 when you receive and need 70x70, so a bit confusing). Couple of the other instructions are a bit vague in places, but generally they are ok to get the job done with some thought and common sense.

The website says you can swap and change the position of components on the towers to suit. You can to an extent, however certain things like the monkey bars and bridges seem to be designed to go on one way and if there you try and put them 90 degrees around the tower they don' fit. eg. the bridge wants to come out of the slide entrance opening side of the tower - if you want to use the next side round the tower you will find there is nothing to attach the bridge walkway sides to. So if you want your own layout of linked towers/bridges you need to do some carefull planing and be prepared to do some adaptation to make it work.

Our layout didn't use one of the rockwalls and one of the small fort side walls, so we were able to use these components to make and entry door way with part tower walls and supports for the bridges to link up into. We got there in the end and I'm pleased with the result, but as the website says components can be postioned as required they should, in fairness, supply the timber you require to do this.

On the swings, the smaller beam was almost impossible to get the wrap around swing hooks on, although now they are on they are incredbibly secure. Strangely the larger beam swing hooks were loose to slide on and it and it is secured by a very light weight short screw and the supplied washer was bigger than the hole in the swing hook so we had to use our own. In use there is a fair bit of movement in these and I wodner if I will need to use some heavier duty screws at some point. Will wait and see.

The bench table is a bit flimsy as designed but a few extra longs screws in the right place has resolved this.

Most of the kits had spare screws (mostly of the smaller sizes). They ought to, but didn't, provide spare bolt covers as we had a few of these break.

All in all on balance I'm fairly happy with them and so far I'm really pleased with the product. I did have to spend about an additional £10 in the diy store on some additional long screws so we could make the bridge side supports and to strengthen the picnic table bench.

Note you do need a decent ratchet and bit set and you will want a decent power screwdriver and drill. Their website is keen to point out they sell to competent DIYers, and having built a couple of towers and linked them I now understand why.
  • An_angry_customer
    An_angry_customer Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 26 April 2012 at 8:21PM
    Bought a maxi fort frontier, delivered 14 march 12. Delivery driver ticked off as he brought items to back of lorry, my husband and I carried items to the back garden. Started building bank holiday weekend, found instructions were missing for one section. Emailed on the sunday, got an email back on bank holiday monday with missing instructions. Found then that there was a load of bits missing. Then emailed them again they asked me to list what was missing. Eventualy after having ping pong emails all week they said I would need to pay for additional bits that were missing as I had not reported it within a reasonable time from delivery (3 weeks!) Have had been hung up on by very rude customer service department. Emails ignored. I must add that I have not been rude at all.

I have gone to office of fair trading, they said I must send a recorded delivery letter stating that I am covered by sales of goods act and give them 10 days to respond. Its day 10 today and no respone! not even an acknowledgement of my letter recieved. I will call office of fair trading tomorrow to find out what to do next.

Has anybody had any joy by going down this route? I too was blurred by great reviews on website, wish I had found all the complaints before I spent £660 on a climbing frame. The more you google them the more you find how bad they are. How can a company who has so many complaints still be allowed to operate, they should be shut down or fined severly. If it was in another industry they would.
  • Having just been through an appalling time with this company....I say again BEWARE. We ordered a log cabin £3000's worth. Everything seemed to be smoothly going along till I emailed them to say that we were having bad flooding here and would delivery be okay. That the the beginning. They never replied to me...I only emailed out of concern and courtesy. Then I received an email 2 days later saying they had not been able to contact me. Which was rubbish because on the invoice sent to me by them my phone numbers were written there in black and white. The email was wanting to know their confirmation of the delivery date (THEY DON'T READ THERE OWN EMAILS). The next thing I did was ring them as they had so bluntly asked me. I spoke to a different person this time who didn't know anything about anything!!....eventually I was put through to accounts...they were ready very quickly to take my money (the balance)...whilst speaking to them I asked for roofing felt to be added....that of course was another department and I was transferred. Of course they wanted me to put it in an email...so I did. a couple of more days went by so I rang them again. Nobody knew of any phone call by me any email either by me or themselves!!! This is very worrying people...!! My husband also spoke to them (a different person each time). Continuing the saga I was sent another email asking me about shingles....I had never mentioned the the word shingles....just that I wanted roofing felt! Today there were many more emails and phone calls by me...I cancelled the order (Distance Selling Regulations) and told them I wanted a complete refund immediately (Deposit)....I wasn't stupid enough to pay up front the whole amount. The last man I spoke to put the phone down on me.....he was extremely rude!! I was told a refund would be given within 28 days......I asked for confirmation of the cancellation and refund on email......it was only an hour ago...but lets see how long it takes them. You have to be tough and ruthless with these people otherwise they will walk all over you. I did in fact take legal advice (my friend is a Lawyer)....I now await the elusive email and my refund!!.....I will keep you informed of my progress. If I had not sent the first email about the weather conditions....none of this would have happened....I wouldn't have found this forum....and I would never have found out what sort of people you are dealing with.....once again people be very very careful when dealing with this company............
  • Having a look around, there has been a lot of poor reports, but due to the price, decided to have a go under the security of paying by credit card.

Overall, I must say the experience was excellent, though had to bring them back (and pay extra) as the original concrete base was not level enough - my builder's fault. I bought a 3x4m corner cabin, and got them to install it.

They completed the job in 2 days, working late in to the evening to complete the job. The 2 guys working were friendly and helpful. Admittedly it has only been a couple of weeks since construction, but despite the wet weather we have treated the outside and the inside and it looks very smart. I cannot advise on the long term outcome as yet, but will keep people informed.

From my experience so far, I cannot fault the services provided in the Dorset region and would use them again. I can only assure people in writing that this is an unbiased opnion and I do not work for this company!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure