SSE Smart Meter WORKING on British Gas

2»

Comments

• liviboy
    liviboy Posts: 544 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    gsmlnx wrote: »
    Out of interest, exactly how many readings do BG have?

It should be at least 2, the opening reading and the newer updated one.

BG have my opening reading,

A reading I gave them about 2 weeks ago

A reading yesterday (Automatically given)

A reading today (automatically given)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks @liviboy

Interesting to see.
  • Have you asked BG to confirm the meter is working smart with them ? Maybe BG originally installed the meter many years ago. They started, I think around 2004 and they were the first to install smart electric and gas meters.Possibly the electric meter may have SSE on the meter because they are also the local district network operator. I have a BG electric smart meter and it does`nt show BG on the meter just Landys and Gyr.
  • liviboy
    liviboy Posts: 544 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi,

The meter was only installed in 2014, by SSE (I was a customer of Scottish Hydro-Electric (SSE)).

I had smart functions until June 2015 when I moved to Ovo.

Scottish Power is my distributer (through SP Energy Networks).

I haven't spoken with BG but as they don't allow me to submit readings and the fact they have accurate readings received would suggest that it's working.

My display I'm not sure about... It's Onzo (branded SSE) so not sure how the unit price is updated but I'll give it a few days in case it's something that isn't received often from the supplier if that makes sense.

My gas meter is not smart as its semi-submerged and these cant go smart yet apparently...
  • Hi, both my smart meters were installed a few years ago by SSE. I changed over to Sainsburys Energy (British Gas) around December 2017 and today I received my second energy statement. I was surprised to see that my latest readings were supplied from my SSE smart meters. When I phoned Sainsburys Energy the chap I spoke to confirmed that they were smart meter readings and got me to check manually and my readings tied up with his readings. However he was baffled as to how this could happen as he was under the impression also that this was not possible.
  • Not sure what the big news is - I've seen SSE Smart Meters working and providing readings for a number of months with BG and SE. From what I know, this isn't all SSE Smart meters, only those that are newer generation.

Hopefully in a year or less, this should be the case with most suppliers.
    Thank you all for helping me make my day by saving money!
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    There's no real reason why a smart meter from one supplier shouldn't work with another especially if its a similar meter with the same data format.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Michaelw
    Michaelw Posts: 296 Forumite
    MeterMan wrote: »
    SSE do use the same kind of meter, so its not totally out of the question. Is the DCC in your area live? It could well be that.

to know if your smart meter is working, the monitor should declare a tariff rate and should show cost information.

It might be worth contacting the supplier to see if you are on the DCC network.Many people would like to know when they are.Prepayment is interesting because not all suppliers offer this method through a smart meter as a way to pay.

https://utilityweek.co.uk/prepay-customers-losing-smart-functionality/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport