Mortgage application bank statements

Hi,

I am in the process of getting my first mortgage and am getting close to where I will need to submit bank statements (authough I hear some only ask for payslips?).
Whilst I have no issue with affordability and am never in an OD I am just feeling really uncomfortable that they will ask me to discuss and justify everything I choose to spend my money on. Is this what they really do? Or it's it more high level like can I afford it, is there anything I haven't declared etc. Surely I don't have to justify every pair of shoes or days out I choose to send my money on?

Thanks all.

Comments

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Mr_M_Cox wrote: »
    Is this what they really do?

No, they are looking for unusual, excessive or undeclared activity. Not mundane day to day expenditure.
  • amnblog
    amnblog Posts: 12,442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    As Thrug says, they won’t be asking why you went to Starbucks and Costa in the same day.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Smevchenko
    Smevchenko Posts: 102 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    If it makes you feel any better, I had numerous betting transactions on the first 2 months statements they requested, I was a little concerned about this, but nothing has been mentioned and have had a mortgage offer from the lender, so I wouldn't worry too much.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure