Ultra Fast Broadband - when available?

Hi,

So I am buying a new-build house - moving at the end of May.

I have been told by the builder that we can get ultra fast broadband - yet when I check the various providers it appears the best we get is 10 mbps - yet the paperwork I have states we can get 300 mbps, as all the houses have a fibre link running from the local telephone exchange with no street cabinets.

Obviously this is not correct at the moment - so I am trying to find out when / if I will get this 300mbps.

So my question is how do I find this information out - I have asked the builder & they are next to useless!

Thanks Mark
We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Comments

• lee111s
    lee111s Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    If it!!!8217;s Openreach FTTP then it!!!8217;s when the fibre cable and all of the associated network cabling is complete.

Keep on at the builder.

You can also use the when and where checker on the Openreach site.
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,071 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    isplumm wrote: »
    Hi,

So I am buying a new-build house - moving at the end of May.

I have been told by the builder that we can get ultra fast broadband - yet when I check the various providers it appears the best we get is 10 mbps - yet the paperwork I have states we can get 300 mbps, as all the houses have a fibre link running from the local telephone exchange with no street cabinets.

Obviously this is not correct at the moment - so I am trying to find out when / if I will get this 300mbps.

So my question is how do I find this information out - I have asked the builder & they are next to useless!

Thanks Mark

Is it Openreach fibre to the premises or one of the niche 'Alt Nets' providers ?, if it's OR FTTP, not many ISP's offer service over it , so no point in checking the likes of Sky or Talk Talk, as for whatever reason they don't offer service over OR's FTTP
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    lee111s wrote: »

You can also use the when and where checker on the Openreach site.

This isn't always helpful, as our area's date for fibre was constantly put back. Then our exchange was enabled, but just our estate (excluding properties looking outwards)was excluded.

Despite being on a list of people requesting being informed when there was availability, I only found out by chance, last week, that we actually are enabled, but I've no idea how long this has been the case.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,606 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 18 April 2018 at 7:29PM
    We've just been enabled. Should have been last June, then by Xmas and eventually it seemed to be around the beginning of March although I only found out by chance whilst checking the OpenReach availability page. So you need to keep checking yourslf

Non of the providers or even Connecting Cambridgeshire who I'd registered with bothered to let me or anyone else know. It's been a hard slog though, three mucked up orders, they disconnected my landline completely for two weeks but eventually got the fibre up and running on 3rd April.

I was getting 76mbit/s indicated by several speed testers. A great improvement on the just about 2mbits that were getting.

It lasted two weeks then the Water Co dug up the verge and managed to damage the cable so we've been without BB since 16th April and there's no sign of it coming back on.

There are already seven or eight of us on it with another couple due to be connected next week and we are just a bit cheesed off at the moment. I've got a MiFi unit but it's an expensive way to stay on line.

Not everso impressed with BT as they've just demonstrated that they couldn't organise a P-up in a brewery. I don't know if any of the other providers would be much better as they would all be at the mercy of Open Reach.

However that said they probably don't have the disorganised and convoluted process that BT have got in place.

BTW, my neighbour has manage to sign up with PlusNet on their FTTP trial with what looks like a better deal than BT. He signed up on Friday and is due to be connected next week with significantly less hassle than I've had trying to do it with BT.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    matelodave wrote: »
    BTW, my neighbour has manage to sign up with PlusNet on their FTTP trial with what looks like a better deal than BT. He signed up on Friday and is due to be connected next week with significantly less hassle than I've had trying to do it with BT.
    New customers cannot sign up to Plusnet FTTP trial you have to be an existing ADSL customer to get onto the trial.
  • isplumm
    isplumm Posts: 2,204 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hi,

So I went on to the Open Reach site & get the following message:

Your cabinet is enabled for Superfast fibre however you're not able to order fibre just yet.
    This might be because the length of the line is too long to get Superfast speeds. We're actively looking at other options.

No idea what that means - but I guess it will be a long wait!

I am going to find out the email of the CEO and email him / her! Won't do any good - but it will keep me amused for a while.

Thanks Mark
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,606 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    cajef wrote: »
    New customers cannot sign up to Plusnet FTTP trial you have to be an existing ADSL customer to get onto the trial.

Yes, he is an existing customer but worthwhile knowing if you are and FTTP is available.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport