Free school meals

2»

Comments

• Lachk
    Lachk Posts: 16 Forumite
    And s/e do not have to earn NMW in their first year of trading if they can justify start up costs etc in their forecast. I have looked into things quite in depth.
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    A couple must work 24hrs between them (with one working at least 16hrs) to claim WTC unless your partner has a disability or is over 60 or you are incapacitated or receiving carers allowance.

The first 12 months of trading you refer to is for UC, not WTC. WTC can question your self employment at any time.
  • Lachk
    Lachk Posts: 16 Forumite
    My partner is disabled and receives PIP. £7k and 16 hours per week is above NMW.

I have spoken to WTC and if the start up costs are included in the business plan that they MAY ask to review that SHOULD be fine as long as revenue (minus start up costs) does reflect a sustainable business providing adequate revenue, but as I said £7k p.a. at 16 hours per week is above NMW anyway.

You seem determined to find a way for me to be wrong. I have checked everything properly and if WTC appear happy with my situation and plans then that will do for me.

I did not write a seven page post describing the ins and outs of all my personal business, circumstances and abilities because I did not need to just to ask my original, very simple, question.

I simply wanted some clarification on new legislation and if it was solely for UC or also applicable to WTC, I got that. I didn't need or ask for advice on WTC, working regulations, NMW, disability working rules or anything that you were determined to tell me about.
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Lachk wrote: »
    My partner is disabled and receives PIP. £7k and 16 hours per week is above NMW.

I have spoken to WTC and if the start up costs are included in the business plan that they MAY ask to review that SHOULD be fine as long as revenue (minus start up costs) does reflect a sustainable business providing adequate revenue, but as I said £7k p.a. at 16 hours per week is above NMW anyway.

You seem determined to find a way for me to be wrong. I have checked everything properly and if WTC appear happy with my situation and plans then that will do for me.

I did not write a seven page post describing the ins and outs of all my personal business, circumstances and abilities because I did not need to just to ask my original, very simple, question.

I simply wanted some clarification on new legislation and if it was solely for UC or also applicable to WTC, I got that. I didn't need or ask for advice on WTC, working regulations, NMW, disability working rules or anything that you were determined to tell me about.

Youre awful defensive! I'm only trying to help out by making sure your claim is correct, that's what I do on here. At no point have I said you are wrong, chill!
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 27,991 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    It does seem strange that if your benefit is called uc you get fsm but if you get similar benefit with the same circumstances but it is called wtc then you don't
    I think....
  • carpool72
    carpool72 Posts: 217 Forumite
    I'm a bit confused... we got free school meals last year but this year I was told I don't qualify. My circumstances haven't changed, I'm a single parent in Scotland on about 13k and I receive both CTC and WTC. Did I get the free school meals by mistake last year? Was scared to ask anyone official in case they ask me to pay something back! It's already going to be hard enough to find the extra £100 a month.
    £2 savers club - £62

Relaunched grocery challenge:

March target: £150 on food, £50 on other stuff - still not doing very well at keeping track...:o

:hello:
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,928 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    carpool72 wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused... we got free school meals last year but this year I was told I don't qualify. My circumstances haven't changed, I'm a single parent in Scotland on about 13k and I receive both CTC and WTC. Did I get the free school meals by mistake last year? Was scared to ask anyone official in case they ask me to pay something back! It's already going to be hard enough to find the extra £100 a month.
    If your circumstances were the same last year and you claimed WTC then yes you shouldn't have been entitled to free school meals. See this link it states providing you weren't entitled to WTC

https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/free-school-meals
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,041 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Does this apply? https://www.mygov.scot/school-meals/
    Every child in Scotland at a local council school can get free school lunches in primary 1, 2 and 3. This applies to all children in these years - your family's financial circumstances don't matter.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    michaels wrote: »
    It does seem strange that if your benefit is called uc you get fsm but if you get similar benefit with the same circumstances but it is called wtc then you don't

It is inevitable that there are anomalies during a transition. The rules are changing and it takes time for them to take place.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure