PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

June 2011 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Sparkerly
    Sparkerly Posts: 144 Forumite
    :)A week into my first months grocery challenge and have spent a bit more than I would have liked, but my freezer and cupboards are full.

I have stuck to my menu plan. Have tried many times before without sucess, so really pleased about this. :j

Have menu planned for this week and all I need to get are veg, milk and maybe a loaf of bread. I know I should be making my own and most of the time I do, but the kids like a shop bought loaf every now and then.

Before this month I have just bought things in the supermarket when I see them even if they are not needed, so I am so pleased to have found this challenge as it is really making me think twice before buying. It has really made me see how much I waste each month and we are eating much healthier
    June £25 a day 850.94/750 :beer:
    July £15 a day 220/465
    LBM - 26/5/11 - Debt £33,739.62 :eek: Now -£32,893.20

Nifty Thrifty weightloss July 0/10lbs 0/£1,500
  • dark_angel_2002
    dark_angel_2002 Posts: 76 Forumite
    edited 5 June 2011 at 8:07PM
    Can I join please I would like to try for £160 for the month that's for me and dd for all food.
    Mum £3918.57 owed :mad: £350 paid :D E.on £256.45 :mad: owed £30.00 paid :D
    Rent Paid :j Council paid :j
    Total [STRIKE]£5101.14[/STRIKE] £3795.02
    June grocery challenge £93.32/£160 :D
    100 day challenge E.on [STRIKE]£256.45[/STRIKE]/£226.45
  • espresso21
    espresso21 Posts: 196 Forumite
    Well done for sticking to the meal plan Sparkerly. I find it difficult too and it's all to easy to stray but I am doing much better at avoiding temptation. My problem days are when I get home exhausted (some days I am too tired to do anything - part of an ongoing health problem, nothing serious) and those are the days when I am tempted to get takeaway even though I don't normally really like it. To avoid this, I have been stocking the freezer with ready meals that I have made myself so that I can have something on the table quickly. The problem is I don't have a microwave or much counter space to situate one so I am trying to find a really cheap really tiny microwave!

Chloris, I am assuming those were not the 'real' ecloths at that price but rather a generic brand. Do they work as well? My friend says that you have to have the genuine article but then she's not having to count the pennies quite as much as me!
  • moneytree1
    moneytree1 Posts: 105 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi all

I declare £175.94 spend so in the Green with a saving of £4.06 can I Pledge £250 for June as Half term for 2 weeks and at Haven for one of those so includes any meals out hoping to spend less than this but want to give my self room to breathe on hols.
    2016 £31138 Debt free ?
    Jan Groc £200/162.56

One step forward closer to debt freedom.;)
  • JayJay14
    JayJay14 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    espresso21 wrote: »
    Chloris, I am assuming those were not the 'real' ecloths at that price but rather a generic brand. Do they work as well? My friend says that you have to have the genuine article but then she's not having to count the pennies quite as much as me!

That brought a smile to my face - I once had a manager who was convinced that the diet where you eat two meals a day of breakfast cereal only worked if you used kelloggs:rotfl:
  • espresso21
    espresso21 Posts: 196 Forumite
    lol. It just goes to show that the advertising works doesn't it! People really do believe the brands!
  • cat_smith
    cat_smith Posts: 1,258 Forumite
    Delicious dinner. Not very OS as all bought at full price and deli prices, but sometimes its worth the extra. Chicken breast stuffed with mozarella and wrapped in parma ham. Yum.

However, I have half a ball of mozzarella left and DH hates tomatoes so can't do the normal salad. Any ideas?
    GC Mar 13 £47.36/£150
  • Chloris
    Chloris Posts: 712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    espresso21 wrote: »

Well, I am not an expert on cleaning cloths and my cloth cupboard is a jumberly-jam of hand-knitted (by my mum), old terry nappies, poundland ecloths and old flannels. Oh and I have a yellow dusting cloth. I am seriously not fussy and the poundland ones work fine for me :rotfl:.
  • Pinwheel
    Pinwheel Posts: 90 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi everyone

Just popped in to update my signature, I've spent 26.83 in Sai***rys and 8.12 in L*dl. I wrote a meal plan before I went shopping but didn't manage to get everything on my list, so instead of buying more I might try and make do with what I got. Jacket potatoes with toppings and salad won't be much good without the potatoes though! We've been to a Christening today and I put a chicken in the slow cooker before we left ready for tonight but none of us were hungry so we've got a big plate of chicken in the fridge ready for a stir fry tomorrow and a new recipe on Tuesday night using pesto, creme fraiche and cherry tomatoes (oops didn't get those!)

Anyway 3 weeks left until payday and roughly £120 left, it's going to be tight but I think I can do it.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

PWx
    June 2022 GC £372.89/£400
    May 2022 GC £439.33/£400

• JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,691 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    cat_smith wrote: »
    Delicious dinner. Not very OS as all bought at full price and deli prices, but sometimes its worth the extra. Chicken breast stuffed with mozarella and wrapped in parma ham. Yum.

However, I have half a ball of mozzarella left and DH hates tomatoes so can't do the normal salad. Any ideas?
    how about making your own burgers but wrapping the meat around the mozzarella so there is a cheese surprise in the middle? or adding to homemade tuna/smoked haddock fishcakes?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure