PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

October 2008 Grocery Challenge. Please read first two posts.

Comments

• HI all

Well another month and we're off again. MRS Mc can you put me down for £200 again . Good luck all my month starts tomorrow. Hours been cut at work so i really need to keep this budget with no excuses. I have planned a menu with what we have in the cupboards and produced a list so i only buy whats required to cover them Menu & pack lunches. BUlk buying Mince & Chicken from Costco on friday as i like the quility and price. Lidls for ham, toliet roll and couple of other bits and everything else from ASDA or Mr T's. Going to print off as many coupons as possible and see what they'll take.....Every little helps as Mt T say's.

CC
  • Piquant_2
    Piquant_2 Posts: 5,769 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper Mortgage-free Glee! Debt-free and Proud!
    I did this for the first time last month and came in £17.83 under budget and it was a 5 week month for me!

I am setting myself the same target of £200 and hoping to come in well under budget. All surplus is going to the Christmas fund.
    Total debt at October 2008: £67,213.30
    Total debt today: £0
    - debt and mortgage free 29th November 2013 :T
    Sealed Pot Challenge member 14
    Save £12K in 2014 - £6,521.90/£6K member 138

• Right, that's October kicked off with a Mr T delivery this morning of £40.38. We struggled to find room in the cupboards for everything.
    First Direct Loan @ 7.9% £13,076.03/£20,250
    Mint CC @ 18.9% £3030.29/£3100 Virgin CC @ 34.9% £651.46/£2700 Tesco CC @ 0% 1366/1500

Proud to be dealing with my debts :D - Official DFW Nerd No. 250
  • Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,939 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Just found the October thread and it's 9 pages in already, so I have no chance of keeping up with it but am still doing the challenge anyway :) Househunting means we may have a house move within the foreseeable future, so I'm planning on using up as much as possible from my freezer during October so I can empty & defrost it in November, when we hope to move house. I will try my best to keep a menu diary alongside the spending diary. Good luck to all, I've no planned spends for today and will be having beef mince, homegrown potatoes and mixed veg for dinner this evening plus we'll be eating more than our fair share of soup as I need to use up all the stock I have in the freezer :)
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Right I spent £50 out of a £100.

This month my budget will be £100 again. But I do need to do a little stocking up so I suspect I will end up spending about £75 ish this month.

Will not spend today as my wages have only just gone in the bank today. So I will start to spend tomorrow.

I have managed to meal plan this week as well :j been a bit lazy the last few weeks.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • Chell
    Chell Posts: 1,683 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    mummygems wrote: »
    Hello.

I got my big monthly shop this morning £134 but this is the staples for the month which includes 6 packs of nappies, baby wipes, baby milk........

I am also going to use up my store-cupboard things this month and then try and cook from scratch next month (although hubby is so fussy its a nightmare). He loves those pasta bake jars so if anyone knows/has a recipe for the Bacon & Tomato pasta bake which doesnt taste like "tomatoes" please could you share. The last time I tried DH said it was too tomatoey.......

Do you buy the baby things in the supermarket? If you have a Boots Advantage card then you might be better getting them there. You can get extra point coupons from the advantage card machine if shopping instore or codes for extra points/free delivery online. You might not save cash but you'd get lots of points for other things eg Christmas pressies.

Re: pasta bake, how about doing a tomato based sauced but stiring in creme fraiche before you serve it, this gives a nice creamy tomato flavour.
    Nevermind the dog, beware of the kids!
  • mumzyof2
    mumzyof2 Posts: 3,343 Forumite
    1.70 today i willpost a bit mroe later just off to pick ds up from school
    Sealed Pot dec 08 - dec 09 so far £27.67, Live off £4k Spent £330.20 GC £1,200 for 2009 Spent £50.78 PaD so far £650.07
    Debts: L/woods £154.00 C/One PAID O/D £649.90 Next £299.95 O/D PAID Gas £72.60 Electric £155.73 Mum £640.00 Orange £490.32
  • Ok, so I've been reading through some of the posts on this thread, and I was about to ask where this Mr T place is as so many of you seem to be shopping there and I've never heard of it..... but I think I've just twigged it.... is it Tescos? :confused:
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,618 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Yep. And Mr A is the green equivalent. Mr S (which I've seen a couple of times) confuses me 'cos I assume that's the orange store - but we have a different Mr S (think seasonal meadows) within walking distance. I don't think we're supposed to mention the stores by name.
    Cheryl
  • russetred
    russetred Posts: 1,334 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    This is the first month I've been able to keep up with the posts! For general interest we are 3 adults and 2 kids family.Our budget includes all food,alcohol and cleaning stuff.Eating out and any other spends are not included.Just as well i had to fork out £300 for a new washing machine and I need new towels as the old washing machine ate mine:mad:
    "Sometimes life sucks....but the alternative is unacceptable."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport