ITV and BBC to launch £6/mth streaming service - MSE News

Comments

• buffman
    buffman Posts: 436 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Interested to know whether it will work abroad. One of the advantages of Netflix over iPlayer is that you can watch content wherever you are.
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Many people went to streaming because its cheaper, more choice, watch when you want to and get box sets. Everyone is jumping on the bandwagon now, not many people will pay for more than 1 or 2 streaming services. Piracy started to go down also because of streaming now it will only increase because unless your very wealthy and can afford so many services you either do without or go and get another way to watch your program/film
  • buffman wrote: »
    Interested to know whether it will work abroad. One of the advantages of Netflix over iPlayer is that you can watch content wherever you are.

There are location based variants of Netflix.

People can use some VPNs to access different ones.

I am sure people will try VPNs with this new service when abroad too.
    Things that are differerent: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid

• donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    So what will ITV 2,3 and 4 show?

They are all repeats of shows originally on ITV 1.
  • buffman
    buffman Posts: 436 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    There are location based variants of Netflix.

Indeed, but Netflex has a good offering in many locations without the need of a VPN. Would be nice if BritBox does too. May go some way in justifying paying for it.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Farway wrote: »
    My bold, I suspect you're right, dip in & out as required, subscribe for a month or so, then take a break. I do this with Netflix

They haven't confirmed yet whether it's a fixed term or rolling contract. I'd be flabbergasted if it is a fixed term but ITV at least are capable of messing anything up. If they've had a hand in making the app expect loads of issues and even more adverts.
  • tghe-retford
    tghe-retford Posts: 982 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Browntoa wrote: »
    Say goodbye to free content on BBC iPlayer and ITV hub then ?
    No. At least not yet.

Though I do understand the BBC Director General this week was suggesting a move to abolish the licence fee and move to subscription. That would not just get rid of iPlayer but also Freeview and Freesat as the BBC being major partners in both, make it nigh on difficult for the other partners to continue, particularly as pay TV operators, seeing off major OTT providers (over-the-top, as in Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, et al) will dangle cheques in front of the other free-to-air broadcasters that will be too tempting to refuse to keep their pay TV businesses afloat. The BBC moving to subscription would also likely spell the death knell for DAB as the BBC (a key driver of DAB adoption) moves to 5G and online behind a paywall and the commercial sector follow suit, marking a potential end of free-to-air radio.

Which will ultimately end up with people paying more for media consumption should that future unfold. The precise opposite of what licence fee opponents advocate for. And I haven't started on the consequences for public service broadcasting yet...
  • pphillips
    pphillips Posts: 1,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    That would not just get rid of iPlayer but also Freeview and Freesat as the BBC being major partners in both, make it nigh on difficult for the other partners to continue, particularly as pay TV operators, seeing off major OTT providers (over-the-top, as in Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, et al) will dangle cheques in front of the other free-to-air broadcasters that will be too tempting to refuse to keep their pay TV businesses afloat.

It's very difficult to follow what you're trying to say when you write excessively long sentences.
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Cant see how BBC can get rid of free content we pay for that content. Also BBC if they get rid of free iplayer then thats surely going to be bad for watching any 4k content in future as I cant see freeview adopting it unless they get rid of a load of crap channels thats full on there. Its bad enough some HD content not as good as it use to be some years ago. I never watch sd content at all on any media. Now I gone to 4K slowly but surely I can see hd being less useful at least for me might take few years but 4k is where most content will be in streaming at least in next few years.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 20 July 2019 at 7:26AM
    Though I do understand the BBC Director General this week was suggesting a move to abolish the licence fee and move to subscription.
    To be fair, he was not "suggesting" this in a positive light, but describing the potentially negative impacts of one potential form of a subscription model.

It's sad to see one of the main professionals involved in UK broadcasting resorting to this kind of narrow thinking, and seemingly forgetting the major presence in the UK of Channel 4 (publicly-owned/commercially-funded) which proves that this model CAN work.

Britbox is an add-on service. It is intended to provide competition to Netflix and Amazon. Any effect on iPlayer and ITV Hub is a long, long way down the line (if at all). The idea that it will see the immediate demise of free catch-up doesn't really make sense - it is akin to thinking that when UKTV Gold started, it would see the abandonment of BBC comedy production - the reality being that Gold can only exist when there is BBC comedy production to keep it supplied with content.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure