Escaping Mobile Upgrade

Bare with me.. This is long and complicated! But I am still within 14days of agreeing my upgrade.. Do my statutorily rights apply if service does not deliver point of sale request?

I recently went to Carphone Warehouse to change my phone.. Iv moved house and we have zero network coverage in our area for any network.
My only request was that a hand set would wifi call. I was happy to change network and open to any handset.
The handset suggested to me, I was told defiantly had WiFi calling options. And O2 was the best deal for me so had to be an upgrade option. Again I queried the WiFi calling, as I know O2 only releases this option to certain hand sets.
Got home... No WiFi calling available!!
Returned to store with my issue to be told it was an upgrade and they could do nothing for me. I insisted that the only reason I upgraded was on the advise of the sales advisor, under the understanding that I would have WiFi calling.
Manager 'begrudgingly' done an override exchange and swapped the device for another which was on O2 wifi calling approved list. However this new device also does not have WiFi calling settings!!!!
O2 have adviced that devices purchased thru 3rd parties will not have firmware to support O2 wifi calling.

Do I have any rights? Point of sale request was wifi calling. I feel my local care phone warehouse store are fobbing me off??

Comments

• mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    14 days is a red herring; unless it's company policy it doesn't apply in-store.

If you can prove that wi-fi calling on the hadnset was a condition of sale you could sue if they refuse to cancel everything and refund you. I have done that quite a few times with CPW regarding cashback payments, but in this case (without proof) I wouldn't go that route. It might be worth starting with a LBA to CPW's registered office - IF you have a sound case they usually cave - but a less threatening email to them first would be preferred (good luck finding an email address for them though).

Perhaps someone on here can advise on whether it is possible to do anything regarding wi-fi use on your particular handset.
  • Cisco001
    Cisco001 Posts: 4,011
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 18 July 2019 at 9:57AM
    Have you set up your phone correctly?

Have you phone install O2 firmware? My best guess is CPW do not install O2 firmware and that's why it doesn't work.

Could you bring the phone to shop and ask them to set it up for you?
    Obviously show them the instruction below and don't left until they get it work.

Edit:
    Just did a bit of google
    https://www.simsherpa.com/networks/best-wifi-calling

Can you cancel O2 contract and change to vodafone?

Vodafone seems to support phone not purchase directly from them
  • oldagetraveller
    oldagetraveller Posts: 3,653 Forumite
    "Bare with me.."
    Oooooh Matron.
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    Which phone(s) are they out of interest?
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • Exemplar
    Exemplar Posts: 1,604
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 18 July 2019 at 11:09AM
    20aday wrote: »
    Which phone(s) are they out of interest?

This.

Samsung/ Apple allow WIFI calling. Other handset manufacturers do not out of the box and some settings need to be 'fettled'.

As an example I sit here at my desk with:
    iPhone X - WIFI calling enabled
    Samsung S9 - WIFI calling enabled
    DTEK 50 - No WIFI calling - cannot be enabled without fettling

Also WIFI calling does NOT hand over to cellular, I never remember this as I walk from the office to the car and always drop calls grrrr.
    'Just because its on the internet don't believe it 100%'. Abraham Lincoln.

I have opinions, you have opinions. All of our opinions are valid whether they are based on fact or feeling. Respect other peoples opinions, stop forcing your opinions on other people and the world will be a happier place.
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    Exemplar wrote: »
    This.

Samsung/ Apple allow WIFI calling. Other handset manufacturers do not out of the box and some settings need to be 'fettled'.

Also WIFI calling does NOT hand over to cellular, I never remember this as I walk from the office to the car and always drop calls grrrr.

Looking at o2's websit:

Your device should use O2 firmware if you bought it direct from us in an O2 shop, online or over the phone.

To check if your phone’s running O2 firmware, dial *#1234# and look at the CSC entry. If this line includes ‘TEF’, ‘O2U’ or ‘OTF’ then your device has O2 firmware and you can set up Wifi and 4G Calling.
    If the CSC doesn't include one of these codes then Wifi and 4G Calling isn’t supported on your phone right now.

As for calls dropping when you move from WiFi to 4/3G that's weird because I was on the understanding it should be 'seamless' :rotfl:
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    This.

WiFi calling works out of the box for most normal brand phones, not just Apple and Samsung. Huawei, Honor, Nokia, onePlus, Sony, Motorola and many others work out the box.

In fact here’s the list of phones from the EE website:
    an EE pay monthly plan on one of these phones bought from any retailer, including EE:

Alcatel A3

Apple iPhone XS Max, XS, XR, X, 8 Plus, 8, 7 Plus, 7, SE, 6s Plus, 6s, 6 Plus, 6

Blackberry Priv, Dtek 50, Dtek 60, KEYone

Doro 8035*

EE Hawk

Google Pixel 3a XL, Pixel 3a, Pixel 3 XL, Pixel 3, Pixel 2 XL, Pixel 2, Pixel XL, Pixel

HTC U11, U11 Life, 10*

Huawei P10 lite, P10 Plus, P10, P smart 2019, Mate 20 lite, P20 lite, P20 Pro, Mate 20 Pro, P30, P30 Pro, P8*, P8 lite (2017)*, P9*, P9 lite*, P20, P Smart

Land Rover Explore

LG V50 ThinQ 5G*, G6*, G5*, G5 SE*, X Cam*, K8 (2016)*, K8 (2017)*, K10 (2017)*

Microsoft Lumia 950XL*, 950*, 650*, 640*, 550*

Motorola G7 Plus, G7 Power

Nokia 8, 5, 3, 7.1, 3.1

OnePlus 7 Pro 5G, 6T

OPPO Reno 5G

Samsung Galaxy S10 5G, S10+, S10, S10e, S9+, S9, A9, A8, A7, A6, J6+, J6, J4+, S8+, S8, S7 edge, S7, S6 edge+*, S6 edge*, S6+*, S6*, Note9, Note8, Xcover 4, A3 (2017), A5 (2017), J5 (2017), J3 (2017)

Sony Xperia 10, Xperia L1, Xperia L3, Xperia X, Xperia X Compact, Xperia X23, Xperia XA, Xperia XA1, Xperia XZ, Xperia XZ Premium, Xperia XZ1, Xperia XZ1 Compact, Xperia XZ2, Xperia Z5, Xperia Z5 Compact, Xperia Z5 Premium

Please note: phones marked with an * are only compatible when they have been bought directly from EE – in an EE store, online or over the phone.

Presumably your network hasn’t rolled out VoLTE where you are, WiFi to VoLTE and VoLTE to WiFiCalling handover should work if implemented correctly.
    ====
  • Exemplar
    Forumite
    edited 19 July 2019 at 3:41PM
    d123 wrote: »
    WiFi calling works out of the box for most normal brand phones, not just Apple and Samsung. Huawei, Honor, Nokia, onePlus, Sony, Motorola and many others work out the box.

In fact here’s the list of phones from the EE website:

Presumably your network hasn’t rolled out VoLTE where you are, WiFi to VoLTE and VoLTE to WiFiCalling handover should work if implemented correctly.

No the issue for me is I take 'secure' routed calls, that's why they drop. Frustrating.

Also interesting to see the Nokia there as a couple of weeks ago I trialled a Nokia 8 and it did NOT allow WIFI calls over Vodafone corporate.

Maybe the issue is I'm used to dealing with corporate not domestic. Last week Samsung pulled the WIFI calls for some Samsung corporate users too.

PS that's a great list

PPS - When I said other I did not mean 'All'. I'm just used to dealing with Apple/ Samsung/ DTEK (DTEK occasionally)

I have opinions, you have opinions. All of our opinions are valid whether they are based on fact or feeling. Respect other peoples opinions, stop forcing your opinions on other people and the world will be a happier place.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 19 July 2019 at 4:07PM
    No the issue for me is I take 'secure' routed calls, that's why they drop. Frustrating.

Also interesting to see the Nokia there as a couple of weeks ago I trialled a Nokia 8 and it did NOT allow WIFI calls over Vodafone corporate.

Maybe the issue is I'm used to dealing with corporate not domestic. Last week Samsung pulled the WIFI calls for some Samsung corporate users too.

PS that's a great list

PPS - When I said other I did not mean 'All'. I'm just used to dealing with Apple/ Samsung/ DTEK (DTEK occasionally)

Vodafone for some reason doesn’t allow a lot of compatible phones to work, they seem to still think it’s some sort of unique feature to keep to as few phones as they can.

Iirc, Vodafone don’t even allow SMS to work over Wificalling yet.

Three and EE have a more relaxed approach to access to VoLTE and WiFicalling, hence many more phones allowed to connect.

Your problems are more with how Vodafone have implemented the service rather than with what the service can actually do, unfortunately.
    ====
  • Exemplar
    Forumite
    d123 wrote: »
    Vodafone for some reason doesn’t allow a lot of compatible phones to work, they seem to still think it’s some sort of unique feature to keep to as few phones as they can.

Iirc, Vodafone don’t even allow SMS to work over Wificalling yet.

Three and EE have a more relaxed approach to access to VoLTE and WiFicalling, hence many more phones allowed to connect.

Your problems are more with how Vodafone have implemented the service rather than with what the service can actually do, unfortunately.

Can't change them though LOL

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure