Everest Windows - 'The Worst' - Grateful for advice please

Options
FreebirdUK
FreebirdUK Posts: 10 Forumite
edited 2 August 2018 at 9:53AM in Consumer rights
We signed up for all windows and one door to be fitted by Everest on 3rd May 2018, total cost to be £16,094. We paid a deposit £4,828. The agreement gives a Target Installation Date of 9 to 10 weeks (although the small print states that this is not a term of the agreement). I also received a letter from their Customer Service Team confirming that the installation would take three days and would start on 1st August 2018. The letter states that should there be any delay they would contact us immediately.

Yesterday (1st August) we prepared the house, moving furniture etc, and rescheduling 3 days of appointments. But no one turned up.

I phoned Everest and asked what was happening and I was told that the job was not being done that day, she said she was looking at the contract and cant see anywhere that its booked for 1st August, she said they had not even got parts in yet and the job was booked in for 8th October. I told her I had a letter confirming 1st August 2018 and it seemed she didnt believe me, in fact she might as well have been on the mountain Everest as she was cold and entirely unsympathetic. I think she said that they wouldnt have the parts until 30th August, I felt this was unreasonable having to wait 23 weeks instead of the 9 or 10 on the contract (even though apparently the small print says that was not a term of the contract), she said I would not be allowed to cancel the contract at this stage and that I would be liable. Also that I would have to follow their complaints procedure.

To be honest this call did nothing for their customer service and the tone and content of the call led me to believe that they were used to customers complaining, even though this wasnt a line for complaints. She asked for a copy of the letter giving 1st August as the installation date and I emailed a scanned copy to her, requesting a read receipt and I also asked her to confirm receipt. I did not receive a read receipt and she did not acknowledge receipt of the email. This only adds to my deep distrust of this company.

I will start the complaint today but I am not letting this drag on for weeks, also I wont be sweet talked or threatened and will be looking at trading standards or whatever customer protection there might be these days. If necessary I will cancel and lose the deposit even though its a lot of money, I wont be fobbed off and messed about by cowboys. I will try to get the money back after and I will ensure I give multiple (true) reviews on the web as these people arent the best just a shabby bunch of con artists.

I would be most grateful for any ideas as to what my rights are, especially in regard to cancelling the contract and getting our deposit back, we are pensioners with a limited income and dont have money to spare, we saved hard for these windows. But I will not be ripped off by anyone. We would never have signed if we knew it would take 23 weeks.

Phil Sherry

Comments

• photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Not sure what you can do but I agree its shocking service and unless you live in a very large house its also a lot of money.

Did you get quotes from local firms who will mostly come in, give you one price take it or leave it rather than the hard sell most of the nationals do

Thats a big deposit to lose though
  • FreebirdUK
    Options
    Thanks for your reply photome. We had some other quotes but I was outvoted by my wife as she believed their ads about being 'the best'. I agreed as they had the windows she wanted but I am absolutely shocked by what has happened.

I did get a reply this morning from the girl I spoke to, profuse apologies and said she and a collegue had spent all day trying to figure out what went wrong as the appointment was made in error. Just an apology. Not good enough. I have initiated a formal complaint to Everest but I wont let it drag on for weeks.

If I have to I will cancel and try to get the deposit back legally after. Whatever the outcome I will not be ripped off by people like this. If I lose out so will they.
  • powerful_Rogue
    powerful_Rogue Posts: 7,517 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    FreebirdUK wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply photome. We had some other quotes but I was outvoted by my wife as she believed their ads about being 'the best'. I agreed as they had the windows she wanted but I am absolutely shocked by what has happened.

I did get a reply this morning from the girl I spoke to, profuse apologies and said she and a collegue had spent all day trying to figure out what went wrong as the appointment was made in error. Just an apology. Not good enough. I have initiated a formal complaint to Everest but I wont let it drag on for weeks.

If I have to I will cancel and try to get the deposit back legally after. Whatever the outcome I will not be ripped off by people like this. If I lose out so will they.

I'd be looking at sending them a "Time is of the essence" letter.
    https://www.cripps.co.uk/commercial-disputes/time-essence-mean/
  • FreebirdUK
    Options
    powerful_Rogue thanks very much for that information, I wasnt aware of it. I may not be able to use it as their small print states that the target installation date of 9-10 weeks is not a term of the contract. But I am not sure yet if they can get away with that.
    Thanks again
    Phil
  • gcrookes26
    Options
    We are experiencing the same. Ordered a conservatory on 28 May 2018 told work would commence early Sept. Now told 12 Nov START DATE !
    Tried to cancel today toly they are not in breach of contract and that we would lose our deposit and may also have to pay Everest damages on top.
    Any advice would be gratefully received.
  • FreebirdUK
    Options
    I got the feeling this was standard procedure for them when I phoned them, totally not bothered. To be honest I didnt think I could fight them and had to swallow it. They phoned yesterday to confirm ours being fitted in 2 weeks.
    The only thing we can do I believe is publicity, lots of it. I will be watching our installation like a hawk.
    These people dont deserve a repuation of 'the best' and people need to know.
    Im sorry I could not be of any help to you.
    Phil
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    It all went downhill once Ted Moult left.

220px-Ted_Moult_1984.jpg
  • FreebirdUK
    Options
    After I replied to your post I opened a letter, it was from Everest. It confirms that the installation is confirmed for October 8th. BUT, and get this, it says that due to the high level of product they supply there can be delays in the manufacturing process. Should a delay occur it may be that they will need to re-schedule the installation.
    That would be a delay too far. They cant take your money then tell you they will do the installation sometime in the future which it would amount to.
    Then i would have no choie but to see what action i can take against them.
    I will let you know what happens
    Phil
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    After the first delay you should have sent a "time is of the essence" letter given them a last date you'd accept for installation. If they missed that date then you could look to cancel the contract, and they would have to sue you for any monies they felt they were owed.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    DoaM wrote: »
    After the first delay you should have sent a "time is of the essence" letter given them a last date you'd accept for installation. If they missed that date then you could look to cancel the contract, and they would have to sue you for any monies they felt they were owed.

Although as they already have £4828 of the OP's money he's still going to be very out of pocket if they don't refund - of course, if he paid by card (and hopefully credit card) that gives other options to get the deposit back.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure