Free School Meals - change hours lose eligibility or protected?

Options
michaels
michaels Posts: 28,004 Forumite
Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
edited 21 September 2018 at 11:15AM in Benefits & tax credits
WE have 3 kids (hence still on tax credits not moved to UC) and due to income below the threshold and no WTC due to hours worked, qualify for free school meals.

There is a possibility my hours will increase to the point where I start getting wtc and therefore in theory lose eligibility for FSM which would make us worse off.

However this gov doc suggests that currently anyone who has FSM will be protected until 2022 if their circumstances change although in general it seems to relate to UC not tax credits so it is unclear to me what the situation would be for us. Ie are you only protected if you lose FSM due to being switched to UC (which has different criteria for FSM than tax credits) or is it all recipients of FSM who are protected?
Transitional protections
From 1 April 20182, transitional protections will be implemented for those pupils who might otherwise have lost free school meals following the update to the eligibility criteria.
The transitional protections will be awarded as follows:
• Any pupil who is in receipt of free school meals immediately prior to 1 April 2018 will continue to receive free school meals whilst Universal Credit is rolled out. This applies even if they no longer meet the eligibility criteria during that time.
• Any pupil who gains eligibility for free school meals after 1 April 2018 will continue to receive free school meals during the Universal Credit rollout period. This applies even if they no longer meet the eligibility criteria at a subsequent point during the rollout period.

Thanks for any help or suggestions of who to contact for clarification.
I think....

Comments

• Cheeky_Monkey
    Options
    michaels wrote: »
    WE have 3 kids (hence still on tax credits not moved to UC) and due to income below the threshold and no WTC due to hours worked, qualify for free school meals.

There is a possibility my hours will increase to the point where I start getting wtc and therefore in theory lose eligibility for FSM which would make us worse off.

If you are going to receive more wages and WTC, how will you be worse off?
  • michaels
    Options
    If you are going to receive more wages and WTC, how will you be worse off?

Because school meals for 3 kids at 2.70 per day is expensive compared to a few more hours at nmw and a very small amount of wtc (withdrawal rate plus tax plus ni means I only get 27% of any extra wages)
    I think....
  • heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,554 Ambassador
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    You will be earning more money so not worse off.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • brewthebear
    Options
    What your really saying is you still want free school meals but think it is unfair to earn more money and then some of it being taken.

You cant have it both ways !!
  • michaels
    Options
    2.5 hours per week at nmw = 1k gross pa, 680 pa net

£16k pa income gives £40 pa wtc

Total increase in income = £720

3 children x £2.70 per day x 195 school days pa = £1579.50

Net cost of 2.5 hours per week extra £859.20 worse off.

Which both ways am I looking to have it?

Does anyone know if the transitional protection for free school meals covers all recipients or only those who lose their entitlement due to the introduction of UC?
    I think....
  • unforeseen
    Options
    You can provide them with a packed lunch for a lot less than £2.70 per child
  • w06
    w06 Posts: 917 Forumite
    Options
    on the gov.uk website it says 'If your child is eligible for free school meals, they’ll remain eligible until they finish the phase of schooling (primary or secondary) they’re in on 31 March 2022.' https://www.gov.uk/apply-free-school-meals which would suggest that they'll stay entitled
  • michaels
    Options
    unforeseen wrote: »
    You can provide them with a packed lunch for a lot less than £2.70 per child

Of course, my packed lunch is either leftovers or some dodgy processed meat in a couple of slices of bread but I would rather my kids ate better and didn't commit social suicide by looking like their lunch cost 20p.
    I think....
  • Icequeen99
    Icequeen99 Posts: 3,775 Forumite
    Options
    w06 wrote: »
    on the gov.uk website it says 'If your child is eligible for free school meals, they’ll remain eligible until they finish the phase of schooling (primary or secondary) they’re in on 31 March 2022.' https://www.gov.uk/apply-free-school-meals which would suggest that they'll stay entitled

My understanding is that only applies to UC transition cases, not to someone in tax credits already who moves outside of entitlement as the OP is doing.

IQ
  • Darksparkle
    Options
    On the gov page before you open that document it says "Guidance about free school meals and transitional protection arrangements for them under Universal Credit."

So that document doesn't apply as you aren't transitioning to universal credits.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure