Coming into sick work

Options

Comments

• Fireflyaway
    Options
    It's known as presenteeism. People will often go to work when they shouldn't because they fear the consequences. I suspect more people do the reverse though! Also people have different work ethics. A cold or a headache wouldn't stop me going in but I know people who would skip work for that reason. I agree it's not nice when people cough right in your face or blow their nose loudly.
  • Me2you
    Me2you Posts: 104 Forumite
    Options
    ^why the aggression? It’s cold season, I don’t want till people next to me? Why make suggestions about me abusing the system?
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    motorguy wrote: »
    Same here. No sick pay, havent needed a day off sick in 4 years....

My colleagues who do get full sick pay - off sick because of toothache, common colds, because their children are sick, etc, etc.

Toothache could be a serious dental abscess, they even need hospital treatment sometimes.

Common cold, well I wouldn't stay off for one, I admit.

Children who are sick have to be cared for, what do you expect parents to do when they get that call from the school/nursery etc?
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    Me2you wrote: »
    ^why the aggression? It’s cold season, I don’t want till people next to me? Why make suggestions about me abusing the system?
    Nobody accused you of anything - you have openly posted you only work about 60% of the time, if that. And that you lied to your employer. And if you don't want ill people next to you, move.

Everything seems, in your head, to be about you. That's another mental illness to add to your list, isn't it?
  • clairec79
    clairec79 Posts: 2,512 Forumite
    Options
    Toothache could be a serious dental abscess, they even need hospital treatment sometimes.

I do agree with this, I have a very good sick leave entitlement but am very rarely off sick - but the last time it was was for my tooth. Toothache needed an extraction which had the rare complication of ludwig's angina (requiring hospitalisation and surgery) - so had two weeks off for 'toothache' - time off before that was 18months before for surgery (in 10 years had 4 episode's of sickness - 3 have involved hospitalisation)
  • Me2you
    Options
    @Sangie you think I was bragging about not having enough work to do? I wasn’t. It’s stressful.
  • Me2you
    Options
    Sangie why don’t you stop trying to start fights and leave my thread alone?

Your last comment was very inflammatory.
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    OP - if you're that worried about your co-workers germs then you could wear a surgical mask and also have a supply of antiseptic hand gel and wipes on your desk.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Not just the common cold/cough/flu, i;ve also turned up when severly depressed and also when manic. I work 4 days a week, and you dont get paid for the first 3, so for me it would be like losing a weeks wages, that and im already on a warning for my last absence (my anti depressent was increased and i had horrendous side effects)

Sickness and diaharea i have no choice but to call in sick though, have to be off for 48hrs if i get that as i work in shop that sells food.

I;ve spent the last 3 weeks manic and was told my the doctor to take some time off but for the reasons stared above i dont feel i can (plus its my first week in a new shop and i dibnt want to seem unrealible)
  • Me2you wrote: »
    I’m sitting next to three people with colds. One can barely do her work because she’s so tired from her cold. I hear people blowing their nose loudly and coughing. They are contagious and their bodily functions I find gross.

Who may not have been there that long been there that long and who have contracts which read:
    "The company also reserves the right to extend the probationary period by the amount of time you are absent from work for any reason" 'Another contract threatened a temporary job may not go permanent due to sickness being weighted'
    Not my current employer as such but certainly I've had two contracts alone in the past year, read the above so it depends if the job tolerates it. In other people's world to go sick means the end of a job.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure