PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Evicting tenants via court and bailiffs

Please help!
Newbie here so please be gentle, I’m at my wits end and need some advice!

Background - I rented out my house just over a year ago to a young couple, every month bar the first they struggled to pay the rent, but managed up until feb this year to stay up to date. Then fell behind and basically never caught up, although made minimal payments for a few months), payments amounts were never agreed , I was just keen to get something! Payments then stopped totally back in June. I obviously verbally threatened eviction.

Once the debt was 2 full months I wrote giving notice, followed by a section 8 notice, which was ignored. I then took them to court, terrifying experience! They didn’t show up, debts then added up to 3 months rent arrears. Judge ruled in my favour, ordering them to pay the arrears, pay the court costs, plus I keep deposit, and giving a date for them to leave (this week)

I wrote to them again asking for payment , as per court order. Ignored. They are basically holding out for a council house, and I’ve tracked down there council housing officer who basically advises them to stay put until bailiffs come when they will he officially homeless and then they’ll be rehoused.

I’m literally in tears. I’ve done it all right and by the book and I still can’t get them out! I’m under no illusion I’ll see a penny from them, despite billions of promises. I’ve now filled in a court form (N325) at more expense to me, and presume the court will now write and give a weeks notice if bailiifs knocking on the door and I’m guessing even longer before bailiffs can actually visit and kick them out

The tenants are basically laughing in my face, living in a free house, clocking more debt then know they’ll never pay, then will get given a lovely spanking council house, cheap!!!

I’m so upset.

Can anyone help with advice on how long from applying for a warrant of possession to when bailiffs can visit then, and if they’ll get them out soon?

I now want to sell the house and give up, it’s left me struggling for cash, but realistically can I find a buyer quick enough

Comments

• Mela322
    Mela322 Posts: 149 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I don't have any advice for you but there should be some type of protection for landlords that are put in these positions.

When we rented privately and paid our rent on time every time for 10 years...out of the blue, our landlord felt we weren't good enough for their house anymore and advised us to go into council housing! She then said that her previous tenant asked if she would evict them making them homeless so they could get council housing. Then advised the same for us! I can't believe how many are told to stay put destroying the lives of landlords. These people stop paying rent or do other things to be evicted and made homeless. How is that not deliberate?

I'm sorry this is happening to you.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I'm afraid apart from following the eviction process there's little else you can do.

If you know where they next end up you can continue pursuing them. Whether you'll ever recoup your losses......
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Another reason why I will not touch a BTL with a barge pole, it's not all roses renting properties out

Op I hope it works out for you
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • Are you able to get a current lead time for baliffs in the area as it can vary across the country

Maybe something like a CCJ but from the sounds of it unlikely to get much money back

It's annoying if they are following the instructions/guidance re council house but if that's the only way they get help unfortunately it doesn't help the person in your situation

Good luck!
  • Thank you everyone for listening!

Sadly, it seems the council and all others involved (cab, StepChange etc) all side with tenants in cases like this. It’s unbelievable that they all advise tenants to sit tight and wait for bailiffs, and that then they’ll get given a council house!!

It’s an awful situation as an honest landlord
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Flossied wrote: »
    Can anyone help with advice on how long from applying for a warrant of possession to when bailiffs can visit then, and if they’ll get them out soon?

In the case of the Chav from Hell the other side of a wall from us, three weeks. "Couldn't get the right type of van, couldn't get a female bailiff"; who the hell cares? The consensus around here is she was a prostitute yet it was and always has been all about her and to hell with the hell she put us/the neighbourhood through.
  • corell
    corell Posts: 56 Forumite
    I watch a lot of "Can't pay, we'll take it away" :o and it seems from that, once the landlord has the possession order they can then choose to take it to the high court and have high court enforcement officers come to the property and evict there and then. Might be something to look into?
  • anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,279 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    corell wrote: »
    I watch a lot of "Can't pay, we'll take it away" :o and it seems from that, once the landlord has the possession order they can then choose to take it to the high court and have high court enforcement officers come to the property and evict there and then. Might be something to look into?

See post 4, however the L does not decide, they have to ask the Court to transfer to HCEO.
  • The best thing you can do is to engage bailiffs - either county court bailiffs or HCEOs - as soon as possible. HCEOs might be quicker but come with additional cost.
    Flossied wrote: »
    Sadly, it seems the council and all others involved (cab, StepChange etc) all side with tenants in cases like this. It’s unbelievable that they all advise tenants to sit tight and wait for bailiffs, and that then they’ll get given a council house!!

If this couple leave before they have actually been evicted by bailiffs, they may be classed as "voluntarily homeless" and not given housing support by the council. So if the tenants don't have any money it may be a very difficult situation for them too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure