CCJ on credit score from ex wife

I have received notification that I have a ccj on my credit report generated by my ex wife. I knew nothing of this ccj, dated 5th July 2018, until I checked my credit report. I have had no contact with ex wife since 2006. I have no financial ties with her. After contacting Equifax, their reply is to "contact ex wife" to agree that this is nothing to do with me. I know this will never happen. she will not do anything to help me at all, not a friendly break up. What can I do to get it removed.

Comments

• CCJ’s are issued to named individuals.

So if this is your wife’s then how is it under your name?
  • You might need to clarify the nature of the CCJ. Is this a debt in your ex-wife's name that is appearing on your report? Or has she taken you to court herself and taken out a CCJ against you for some unpaid debt?

Double check your files with all three CRAs to make sure there aren't any joint financial products still open in joint names. As you say you are unlikely to be able to contact her, so your best bet will be to contact the court that has issued it for details - they will be able to remove it from your file if it has been added in error.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I suspect the OP is referring to credit taken out in his name by the ex-wife. Which, if he knew about it and signed it, is his debt, not hers.
    However, the fact that the CCJ is dated 12 years after the date they parted company makes me think otherwise?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • That is what is puzzling me. I had issues where she used my address for credit years ago, but this is out of the blue. However no support or easy method to get rid of this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • Doesn’t matter what address she used - credit is tied to a person as an individual.

So she must have taken something out in your name, or, it is indeed YOUR debt
  • Only problem is finding the company name, police won't do anything. Court fee is £255 to attempt to clear this CCJ. lots of running around and no further forward. How do I find company who issued CCJ? without paying lots to companies to search what I should be able to know if I had anything to do with it? it's annoying. And definitely not my debt!!!
  • Ask the court who issued it.

If not check your credit files as it may show on there as well
  • PaulW922
    PaulW922 Posts: 1,037 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    As others have said, until you have clarified what this is about it is difficult to give firm advice. It may be that you are still financially linked to your ex at the credit agencies. If that is the reason the CCJs are appearing out is easily dealt with. If however the CCJ is against your personally that is another matter and you will need to address it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure