Ogden ruling - do we need to increase Public Liability cover?

DH is trustee for a small voluntary organisation. Their insurance broker has sent a leaflet through suggesting that the government's change to the Ogden rate leaves organisations at risk of being under-insured.

They say the previous 'standard' values of £1, £2 or £5 million cover for Public Liability are no longer adequate.

Does this sound reasonable, or is it scaremongering? I work for a medium charity myself, and it's not crossed my radar at all.
Signature removed for peace of mind

Comments

• da_rule
    da_rule Posts: 3,618 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 16 June 2018 at 6:50PM
    As it seems you know, the new Ogden rate of -0.75% came in during March 2017. The previous rate (since 2001) was 2.5%.

The following worked example is a good illustration of the impact of this change"

Based on the Ogden rate of 2.5%, a 21 year old male who has been injured and is looking at a future of nursing care and loss of earnings totalling £9,072,028, with the new rate of -0.75% the nursing care and loss of earnings increases to £20,023,103. As you can see from this example, the change in the Ogden discount rate from +2.5% to -0.75% reflects a significant increase in the total settlement of a claim.

Therefore the old £10million cover would have been sufficient under the old rate, whereas it would still leave a gap of more than £10million under the new rate.

There was rumblings at the tail end of last year that the rate would increase so lower the payouts again, but I cannot see that this ever actually materialised.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,018 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Thanks. So, not scaremongering, it is something they need to factor in.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport