NST May 2018: May the odds be ever in your favour!

Options

Comments

• Kerry_Woman
    Kerry_Woman Posts: 3,133 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Can you count me in for May please.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
  • x_raphael_xx
    x_raphael_xx Posts: 4,319 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I'm in for May please. Need to rein in my unneccessary spends.

[FONT=&quot]Motivation[/FONT][FONT=&quot]:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] what is your personal motivation for joining in with the turtles? To get out of debt? Too stay out of debt? To build up savings / an Emergency Fund? FIRE? What is your personal timeline for reaching your goal? If it seems too far away, break it down. My main aims are to pay mum off, (£1800 left as of 1st May) and then put some savings away. My long term savings goals are first to put away 6 months worth of bills, then in the far faaaar future, fill an ISA.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Money[/FONT][FONT=&quot]: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]know your income and outgoings. To the penny. Know when every single DD goes out, when the annual payments are required. If you cannot cope with cash in your pocket, only use a card; if, like me, you work better with cash, then use that. Note down EVERY single spend and eliminate the unnecessary ones. Everything is always recorded in my spreadsheets. :D

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Me[/FONT][FONT=&quot] time:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] look after yourself. Get enough sleep; eat well; move; do things you enjoy. Last month we were encouraged to take up a new hobby / revive an old one. Such a good thing to do! Going to continue my 'hobby' of practicing for my music exam.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Move[/FONT][FONT=&quot]: being active benefits your body and your mind. You know that. Now do it. Find your level of activity and crank it up a notch (I’ve recently upped some of my kettlebell exercises from 8K to 12K). Get outside. Play! I've now had a good couple of weeks recooperating after my marathon. Time to get back into it and train for the 10k and half marathon we have entered this month.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Activation[/FONT][FONT=&quot]: what spurs you on to keep on the path? Does following other threads or blogs inspire you? Dedicate some time each week to expanding your reading and finding ideas that you can use – and please tell us about them. Currently its this thread, running mags and podcasts :)

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Arm[/FONT][FONT=&quot] yourself [/FONT][FONT=&quot]: you have chosen to follow a path that many mock and despise - that of ridding yourself of debt and financial constrictions in order to be free; free to choose what to do with your money and time, not enslaved to repaying or to other people. Whether you opt to work more or to spend less in order to achieve your goal, stand firm against the naysayers. Stand strong in your personal quest against consumerism and the futility of always acquiring more. I must be strong and not spend!! I would like to book in to finish my tattoo for after my half marathon, which will need a £20 deposit, but apart from that I should be good.
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]You[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. Are you happy in yourself? Know what brings you joy, what cheers your heart, what makes you pause and wonder. Don’t just stop and smell the coffee in the morning; practise stopping and looking around throughout the day. Appreciate what you have. Be grateful.
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    19 NSD: you have 12 days to spend, so use them wisely, especially with the Bank Holidays and half term this month. Petrol, medications and emergency travel needs are exempt. As are reduced items if that is all you buy.
    Foodbank/ charity donation of £5.
    Pay to your debt/savings FIRST and live off the rest.
    Plan the month: every single day: what you are doing, what you are eating, especially with the Bank Holidays and half term, birthdays, anniversaries.
    Check in every day. Short posts, long posts, ups and downs. Turtles are gregarious and friendly, they look after each other and encourage each other out of their shells.

As well as the challenge, I'm going to add another 'M'...Minimalism. I'm going to attempt the Minimalism game, get rid of 1 thing on day 1 (donate/trash/gift), 2 things on day 2 etc etc. I'm going to see how many days I can go (31 things on day 31 will be more difficult!)
    [/FONT]
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!

EF Challenger #3 £138.36 / £5000
    MFW 2024 #100 £00.00 / £10,000

MFiT #40 Jan 2025 Target - £99,999.00
    Mortgage at 30/09/22 £113,694.11 | Mortgage at 24/01/23 £110,707.87
    Mortgage at 21/04/23 £107,701.01 | Mortgage at 20/07/23 £106,979.65
    Mortgage at 04/10/23 £106,253.77 | Mortgage at 10/01/24 £105,324.57
  • mothernerd
    mothernerd Posts: 4,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I'm in please apple.
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST SEP No 1 No Debt No mortgage
  • LavenderBee
    Options
    I'm in too.

Anti-consumerism is a perfect fit with my intended low spend month!

Thanks apple
  • sashanut
    sashanut Posts: 3,252 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hi all :j

I'm in for May please!!
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 :eek:. Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE :happyhear
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Long first post for the month - daily updates will be from 'rules' onwards ;)

[FONT=&quot]Motivation[/FONT][FONT=&quot]:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] what is your personal motivation for joining in with the turtles?
    - Immediate short term - Clearing the last of the non-mtge debt (now at less than 5k) - should be this year. Medium - Then clearing the BTL mtge over the next 6-8 years (less of a fixed target there) whilst also building up savings. Want to retire early. Longer term - Ideally I'd like us both to retire at 55, but we will still have youngest (no 4) in school then and no 3 will be at uni (assuming he goes), so that is unlikely. However, 60 will see no 4 finishing uni (if he goes/ unless he chooses a long course, such as medicine) so it would be good to fully retire then. We have started looking more seriously at pension options this year. No final decisions made yet, and we are learning a lot along the way before committing to anything major :)

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Money[/FONT][FONT=&quot]: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]know your income and outgoings. I am really not very good at tracking all spends - must try harder. I do, however, know annual household bills and when they are due.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Me[/FONT][FONT=&quot] time:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] look after yourself. Get enough sleep; eat well; move; do things you enjoy. - another must try harder area. Although May and June are important months for me to do this, as they are very busy with work and I will not cope without looking after myself.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Move[/FONT][FONT=&quot]: being active benefits your body and your mind. - fits in with above.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Activation[/FONT][FONT=&quot]: what spurs you on to keep on the path? Does following other threads or blogs inspire you? Dedicate some time each week to expanding your reading and finding ideas that you can use !!!8211; and please tell us about them. - MSE. Blogs. My ultimate goal of wanting to enjoy life whilst still young enough/ physically able to do things and be able to do so financially (an occasional more expensive trip etc) Our dream goal is to own a property overseas. Being able to help out the children in some way (3 at home, 1 at uni - uni one gets full loans but we do pay for her phone and have bought all equipment (laptop etc) and she gets huge food parcels and knows we would help out more if needed (thankfully she is very sensible with money)

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Arm[/FONT][FONT=&quot] yourself [/FONT][FONT=&quot]: you have chosen to follow a path that many mock and despise - that of ridding yourself of debt and financial constrictions in order to be free; free to choose what to do with your money and time, not enslaved to repaying or to other people. Whether you opt to work more or to spend less in order to achieve your goal, stand firm against the naysayers. Stand strong in your personal quest against consumerism and the futility of always acquiring more. - We don't spend much on just random 'stuff' . Big purchases (eg the kitchen) are considered long and hard and researched. Usually very little is bought on a whim (excluding food items here) Hand me downs for the boys are made full use of, and much of my wardrobe is new-to-me, not new-new. When items are outgrown etc they are sold, passed onto someone (whether a charity or person) or recycled where possible. Very little actual landfill waste is generated from our house and food waste is truly minimal. (although we do occasionally go off-piste - we are not saints!)

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]You[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. Are you happy in yourself? Know what brings you joy, what cheers your heart, what makes you pause and wonder. Don!!!8217;t just stop and smell the coffee in the morning; practise stopping and looking around throughout the day. Appreciate what you have. Be grateful. Definitely. I have got much better at understanding this and practicing it as I have got older.

The Rules:

We start on May 1st and continue to the very end of the 31st. - Yep

19 NSD: you have 12 days to spend, so use them wisely, I am not good at NSDs:o:p:o (my OH also doesn't help with random spends!) although busy-ness at work will keep them lower. My target is more keeping to budgets than NSDs, but I do monitor them.

Foodbank/ charity donation of £5. - have monthly DD to charity but will ensure something else is also done.

Pay to your debt/savings FIRST and live off the rest. - CCs already paid on payday. Savings sto due to go out beginning of month. That just leaves the rest for us :)

Plan the month: every single day: what you are doing, what you are eating, especially with the Bank Holidays and half term, birthdays, anniversaries. - to do.

Check in every day. ok
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • indigowarrior
    Options
    Hi Apple, love the start of the thread:rotfl: Please sign me up. Was pretty unwell last month and disappeared but I am willing to get back on the wagon.
    Motivation: what is your personal motivation for joining in with the turtles? To get out of debt? Too stay out of debt? To build up savings / an Emergency Fund? FIRE? What is your personal timeline for reaching your goal? If it seems too far away, break it down.My motivation is that I have 9 months in my new supported housing. I would like to reduce my debt by a third. So from £12K to £8K. I would also like to build some savings for furniture and stuff for my new place.

Money: know your income and outgoings. To the penny. Know when every single DD goes out, when the annual payments are required. If you cannot cope with cash in your pocket, only use a card; if, like me, you work better with cash, then use that. Note down EVERY single spend and eliminate the unnecessary ones. Budget is set and I am going to set up a spreadsheet for all my expenses this month.

Me time: look after yourself. Get enough sleep; eat well; move; do things you enjoy. Last month we were encouraged to take up a new hobby / revive an old one. Such a good thing to do! I am going to make more of an effort to eat three meals a day

Move: being active benefits your body and your mind. You know that. Now do it. Find your level of activity and crank it up a notch (I’ve recently upped some of my kettlebell exercises from 8K to 12K). Get outside. Play! I am going to aim for 4 days a week excercise

Activation: what spurs you on to keep on the path? Does following other threads or blogs inspire you? Dedicate some time each week to expanding your reading and finding ideas that you can use – and please tell us about them. I follow a few blogs and will aim to seek more

Arm yourself : you have chosen to follow a path that many mock and despise - that of ridding yourself of debt and financial constrictions in order to be free; free to choose what to do with your money and time, not enslaved to repaying or to other people. Whether you opt to work more or to spend less in order to achieve your goal, stand firm against the naysayers. Stand strong in your personal quest against consumerism and the futility of always acquiring more.

Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. Ralph Waldo Emerson

You. Are you happy in yourself? Know what brings you joy, what cheers your heart, what makes you pause and wonder. Don’t just stop and smell the coffee in the morning; practise stopping and looking around throughout the day. Appreciate what you have. Be grateful.
    No Spend November 2/15 and SPC 134
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Good to hear from you indigowarrior. And good to hear that you have somewhere to live.
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thanks Apple. I'm in.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,282 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Please add me too :) I've been here before and not been very successful - but I need a focus now I have debt again.

Thank you :)
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family