PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Rental wear and tear?

Hi, our tenants have just moved out of our rented flat as we’re selling it. The oven and dishwasher are both not working - the tenants say they don’t know how both broke. As the dishwasher and oven are both 15 years old I wonder if we should just lump the costs to replace or whether we should charge them out of their deposits? Thanks

Comments

• Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Sinbad35 wrote: »
    Hi, our tenants have just moved out of our rented flat as we’re selling it. The oven and dishwasher are both not working - the tenants say they don’t know how both broke. As the dishwasher and oven are both 15 years old I wonder if we should just lump the costs to replace or whether we should charge them out of their deposits? Thanks

I'm not entirely sure I believe the tenants. Did they report the oven or dishwasher when they stopped working or was this just discovered at the end of the tenancy? Not that it really matters since the value of 15 year old appliances is the square root of naff all and you are not entitled to betterment.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    On what basis would you be charging the tenants?
  • Are you aware of the concept of betterment? After 15 years, you'd struggle to claim that either had any expected lifespan left in them. You also cannot claim 'new for old'.

http://www.propertymark.co.uk/advice-and-guides/landlords/fair-wear-and-tear.aspx

Yes, lump the costs to replace
  • Sinbad35 wrote: »

How much are you proposing to charge them for your 15 year old appliances, assuming you are not a WUM.
  • Hi, thanks for the responses.
    They only informed us when they were moving out.
    I wasn’t sure how much to charge them if anything. I guess it would be the cost to repair them.
  • Also the tenants lived at the property for 2 years
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If you're selling the property then just remove the appliances, if they're not easily repairable. Buyers can replace to their own preference, and are unlikely to pay you anything like the cost of new ones.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I think I would replace the oven and then sell the property without the dishwasher. People buying it will want to have their own appliances and most people when they sell take them with them so not having a dishwasher shouldn't make any difference. The oven might because people expect to get an oven.
  • You want tenants to take responsibility for the failure of appliances that could do their GCSEs next year? Love it.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    They were old. They were old when the tenants moved in.

No charge.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport