NPower complaint with ombudsman - chasing for money

Hi,

I am after some advice as a little concerned.

I have had a complaint with Npower ongoing for a while (one complaint of MANY I have had over the years with them! )

The complaint was I had an old account for my old address that I had an outstanding amount due after I moved. I agreed an amount to pay every month to clear this and when I was able I paid £510 to clear it in last September. Npower decided for some reason to split this payment between my old account and account for current address!? I then had another complaint with them as I had a faulty metre and waited in 3 times for engineer who never came. Eventually they replaced metre and they calculated usage. They sent me letter stating I was actually in credit. This was in May. I decided to switch providers since Npower are so awful and they sent me a letter advising I owed them £200!? They admitted their error that they had back in September credited wrong account and now I was due them money. I disputed this as my argument is that they cannot expect people to budget their money and then be left to pay large amounts because of their errors - They did this to me at my old address where they said the account was clear then sent me a letter 4 months later for £1000!! This is what I agreed to pay monthly until I cleared

Anyway they refuse to clear the £200. I am putting my foot down as I truly feel Npower need to be held accountable for the continual mess ups. The amount of time I have spent on phone calls and letters is ridiculous ! It has gone to deadlock and I spoke to ombudsman yesterday who have set up a case. Npower are now sending me red letters chasing money and my query is - will this go to debt collectors and affect my credit score? For as much as I want to make Npower pay for what the have put me through I absolutely do not want it to affect my credit rating !

Any advice much appreciated :)

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Yes it will effect your credit score. However, if you have an open complaint that has gone to deadlock and been referred to the ombudsman they should absolutely not be sending you any debt letters or progressing their collections process, at all. They should have applied blocks to your account.

Inform the ombudsman asap.
  • Thanks for response.

Just contacted Npower who said they postpone collection activity for 10 days from deadlock letter.

Does this sound right?

Thinking I should just pay as really don't want impact on credit rating ��
  • wavelets
    wavelets Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Suppliers generally suspend collection activities if there is an ongoing complaint/dispute over the amount being demanded.

Once the matter goes to dealock, the supplier does not consider the complaint/dispute is ongoing (as they have given you their final response)

However, once you have a deadlock letter, you can take the matter to the ombudsman. If the ombudsman agrees to investigate, then the complaint is live once more.
    Before agreeing to investigate, the ombudsman will contact the supplier to get their side of the story.

It will be that confirmation by the ombudsman to the supplier that they have received a complaint you wish ombudsman to investigate to the supplier that informs the supplier the complaint is still live (and hence collection activities should be suspended)

Presumably, the supplier allows 10 days "grace" for you to lodge the matter with the ombudsman and for the ombudsman to inform the supplier you have done so.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure