Employer discount schemes (for multiple stores)

Options
boliston
boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
My employer has a discount scheme where you can get discounts on a good variety of supermarkets and chain stores - I was quite surprised that hardly any of my colleagues ever actually use the scheme as they were not really sure how to use it (it requires an app to easily use, although you can use it via a website on a pc) - I mainly use it for sainsburys (5%) and m&s (7%) and it works by pre-loading a gift card at the discounted rate. Does anyone else here use a scheme like this?

Comments

• payless
    payless Posts: 6,957 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes ... it’s great
    Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as (financial) advice.
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    We have a similar benefits offer, it never occurs to me to use it for supermarket shopping but I did get 10% off my engagement ring through a jewellers on this deal!
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • rawhammered
    Options
    Tbh most people on proper jobs get similar discounts through their works schemes. This is nothing new or exciting I’m afraid.
  • HonestJohn
    HonestJohn Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I get this through my energy supplier, UtilityPoint.
    Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein
  • boliston
    Options
    HonestJohn wrote: »
    I get this through my energy supplier, UtilityPoint.

I have a utility point account, but am about to leave them - what discount do they offer on supermarkets such as sainsburys? Is it better than 5%?
  • Trina90
    Trina90 Posts: 541 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We have that, and I use it a lot for general shopping, but haven't bothered to use it for grocery shops yet. Really good for Cineworld as 2 of us can go to see a film for a total of £7.50.
    Mortgage started 2015: £150,000 2016: £130,000 2017: £116,000 2018: £105,000 2019: £88,000 2020: £69,000 2021: £51,195 2023: MORTGAGE FREE!
  • HonestJohn
    HonestJohn Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    boliston wrote: »
    I have a utility point account, but am about to leave them - what discount do they offer on supermarkets such as sainsburys? Is it better than 5%?

it is the same, 5%.
    Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein
  • boliston
    Options
    HonestJohn wrote: »
    it is the same, 5%.

When you compare it with nectar that only gives you 0.5%.

I guess if I add up 5% discount scheme + 0.5% nectar + 1% credit card cashback, it gives me 6.5% total discount
  • ouraggie
    ouraggie Posts: 291 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I have the scheme via Utility Point aswell. I love it. I use the Love2Shop card in Wilko, TK Maxx, Iceland, Superdrug, Argos etc almost every day.
    Check if making a large purchase as for some shops you get a better % discount if using the Love2Shop card rather than the store's own reloadable card/vouchers. Also, if you load up the card and use it to buy ordinary gift cards in eg Wilko, you can effectively get a 7% discount in various other retailers that aren't in the scheme.
  • Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    Options
    Yes my husband gets it through his work. It's brilliant. We've not been using it for long but have made good savings so far. We probably use the tesco card the most.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure