MSE Poll: Should 1950s WASPI women be compensated?

Comments

• dragged their feet while simultaneously kicking the can down the road.

That must be quite difficult to do? :)
  • The money should come from the pot of money STOLEN from these ladies.
    The politicians have no problems using OUR money for expenses.
  • rafbase wrote: »
    The fact is that we 50's women paid into a pension pot to receive our state pension at the age of 60. Just like you would with a company pension.

No you didn't. There is/was no pot. State pensions are paid out of taxation at the time the pensions are paid.

IOW, any NI you paid back then was used to pay for people who were pensioners then.

Just as whoever's paying NI when you claim your pension will be paying for yours when you draw it.

Given the conclusions you draw in the rest of your post are based upon that flawed premise, I won't bother fisking the rest of it.
    limetree wrote: »
    The money should come from the pot of money STOLEN from these ladies.

See above. What pot?
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
  • That must be quite difficult to do? :)

Well I think what happened is that they promised to do one, but reneged on that promise and did the other instead.

Figuring out which one is which is left as an exercise for the student...
  • Sorry, but the claim 'I paid in so you must pay out' is getting to be very tiring.

Someone who earned the average wage (currently about £26K) for all of their working lives will only have paid in enough pension NI to cover the first 8 years of retirement. After that, it's all 'free'.

The average length of retirement is now 20 years. Something had to give.
  • If women and men were paid their state pensions starting at the same age, women would still benefit, on average, for an extra four years longer. If anything they should wait four years more than men for true equality, not bleating on about losing years a few years less than men's pension entitlement age. Another group that demands equality but only when it's in their favour!
  • Well I have to say that I'm shocked and amazed at the number of people, of both genders and all ages, who have voted for 'full compension'

Would some of these people like to post where they think this largess should come from? NHS? Education? Extra taxes for all?

I am seething in anger at your ignorant comment

These women have paid in for their pensions all their working lives, they are owed this money

It was stolen from them by the lib dems and conservatives

Many were given no notice at all, they were not told - this was deliberate by the government

Some are living with no money now at all, relying on friends and family to live - many have committed suicide

They retired believing they were going to get their pension then discovered the gov had taken it

This is the same gov that have given billions in tax cuts to companies that don't pay any tax

The conservatives have given over £5 billion to private rail companies - these companies are making a profit, why is this corrupt gov giving taxpayers money to private companies in profit, just ask yourself that question first

There is a lot of money in the conservatives pockets, like the £1.5 billion given to the DUP

They can always find money for what they want
  • No you didn't. There is/was no pot. State pensions are paid out of taxation at the time the pensions are paid.

IOW, any NI you paid back then was used to pay for people who were pensioners then.

Just as whoever's paying NI when you claim your pension will be paying for yours when you draw it.

Given the conclusions you draw in the rest of your post are based upon that flawed premise, I won't bother fisking the rest of it.

See above. What pot?

So when you retire at 75 and find you've got no pension and the gov say oh we've changed the law, you'll have to wait 7 years for any money at all, you're not entitled to anything at all to live on in the meantime, you're not entitled to any benefits either, you won't mind then?!
  • Astonishing financial illiteracy and pig headedness being displayed by so many who 'voted' in this.

The original proposal was well founded on both financial and demographic grounds, it was made giving ample time for those affected to adjust to it (bar arguably a very small group to a limited degree).

The sense of 'entitlement' beggars belief.....and clearly equality is fine as long as its asymmetric. The court judgement was correct on legal, moral and commonsense grounds.

This ill thought out, uncosted and opportunistic proposal should go straight in the bin. Where is the money to come from for this - no doubt 'the rich' again.....well you can only shake that money tree so often.

Labour party is not fit for purpose.

These women were given NO notice

Many were totally unaware of the change until they retired, how were they meant to adjust their pensions if they didn't know?

They're not allowed any pension or any other benefits to live on - many cannot get jobs because they're considered too old and those that have are in very low paid jobs, many have no money at all - you're ok with that are you?

I sincerely hope the same happens to you

You retire, find you've got no money at all to live on and are told you're not entitled to any benefits - the law changed, tough

Many have committed suicide because they were left in poverty and too embarrassed to ask anyone for money

People like you with your sickening attitude make me so angry

This should never have happened to these women, their treatment has been abysmal

I would never vote lib dem or conservative because of this, these politicians just don't care about anyone but themselves

I really hope labour get into gov on Dec 12th to right so many wrongs that exist in this country now because of the heinous and corrupt government we have in power now
  • So when you retire at 75 and find you've got no pension and the gov say oh we've changed the law, you'll have to wait 7 years for any money at all, you're not entitled to anything at all to live on in the meantime, you're not entitled to any benefits either, you won't mind then?!

Nope. I won't mind.

When I retire at 53, I fully expect the state pension I'm currently being promised at 68 to either have moved, be means tested, or removed altogether. Anything better than that will be treated as a bonus.

You see, I've been keeping tabs on what the government has been doing and planning accordingly, not sitting here feeling entitled with my head happily in the sand.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family