Do I tell DWP ?

Options

Comments

• rockingbilly
    Options
    antrobus wrote: »
    The DWP has gone metric, so it's metres that count.

Are you saying that the medical reports are wrong or outdated, and that you can stand and then move using an aid, walk for 20 metres? Obviously, if you can't then you won't be able to make it from the waiting room to the assessing room without a wheelchair or similar.

Subject, of course, to the usual qualifiers.
    No both reports are fairly recent. They both state that 20 metres would be difficult as I can only walk 10 metres.
    So if I manage to walk the 20 metres to the assessing room through the pain by determination and then plopping myself down on the chair I will have proved that I can walk at least 20 metres!
    In fact it wouldn't surprise me that the actual distance from the chair in the waiting room to the chair in the assessing room is just over 20 metres - hence blowing the argument for Enhanced Mobility out of the window.
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No both reports are fairly recent. They both state that 20 metres would be difficult as I can only walk 10 metres.
    So if I manage to walk the 20 metres to the assessing room through the pain by determination and then plopping myself down on the chair I will have proved that I can walk at least 20 metres!
    In fact it wouldn't surprise me that the actual distance from the chair in the waiting room to the chair in the assessing room is just over 20 metres - hence blowing the argument for Enhanced Mobility out of the window.
    This is the reason that I will be requesting a home assessment - To prevent them from playing silly !!!!!!s with me !!
    If they say no - I will go by wheelchair and I know from previous visits that the building is not wheelchair friendly - It is a (mildly) converted house - with narrow doorways !!
  • TheNickster
    TheNickster Posts: 4,062 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    This is the reason that I will be requesting a home assessment - To prevent them from playing silly !!!!!!s with me !!
    If they say no - I will go by wheelchair and I know from previous visits that the building is not wheelchair friendly - It is a (mildly) converted house - with narrow doorways !!

Even if they are "playing silly !!!!!!s" all is not lost. You can always appeal and the appeal boards do not "play silly !!!!!!s" and will take notice of the medical reports and the pain you experience is much more likely to be taken into account.

Although getting a home assessment is by far the best option.
    Do not be fooled into believing that this society cannot be made fairer because hard work isn't necessarily all it takes.
    There are those on MSE DT who know the price of everything but the value of little.
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options
    ..So if I manage to walk the 20 metres to the assessing room through the pain by determination and then plopping myself down on the chair I will have proved that I can walk at least 20 metres!....

Then don't do it. Get a wheelchair.
    ...In fact it wouldn't surprise me that the actual distance from the chair in the waiting room to the chair in the assessing room is just over 20 metres - hence blowing the argument for Enhanced Mobility out of the window.

Likely a pecularity of that particular assessment centre. In my case the distance was more like 5 metres.
  • rockingbilly
    Options
    Even if they are "playing silly !!!!!!s" all is not lost. You can always appeal and the appeal boards do not "play silly !!!!!!s" and will take notice of the medical reports and the pain you experience is much more likely to be taken into account.

Although getting a home assessment is by far the best option.

Err yes and presumably after the measured distance between the waiting room and the Tribunal room of 37 metres has been walked by the claimant who is arguing that they cannot walk more than 20 metres!
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Unbelievable! So you can walk twice 100 yards 3 times a week, reliably, but you want them to believe that you can't do that to the point of requesting a home visit or going with a wheelchair when you don't actually need to?

You are asking if they can find out about your work because you know that if they do, they could indeed refute what you are telling them?
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    FBaby wrote: »
    Unbelievable! So you can walk twice 100 yards 3 times a week, reliably, but you want them to believe that you can't do that to the point of requesting a home visit or going with a wheelchair when you don't actually need to?

You are asking if they can find out about your work because you know that if they do, they could indeed refute what you are telling them?
    Great post and i completely agree with everything you said.
  • rockingbilly
    Options

It's 6 journeys a week of 100 metres not 3.
    The OP does 200 metres a day, 3 days a week.
  • TheNickster
    TheNickster Posts: 4,062 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 2 February 2017 at 11:55PM
    Options
    Some nasty (or thoughtless) posters appearing in this thread. They seem to have missed that you struggle to walk when these nasty/thoughtless posters presumably can easily walk 100 yards 2 or 3 times quicker than you can. He may have been able in the past to walk relatively easily when started his part time job but is now applying for the mobility component of PIP because he is now struggling to do it because his condition is now deteriorating.

Considering that ATOS has such a poor reputation in accurately reporting on medical conditions and how they affect you then it is very understandable and reasonable that you have asked what you ask - although if you were aware that there are posters on MSE who will ferret out and jump on anything they think is untoward then perhaps you should have phrased it better.

Some people would put you in a wheelchair permanently well before your time before they would allow you any help. Neither would they allow any advice to be given in how to claim. It is important to understand the DWP meaning of words and phrases such as safely, to a necessary and acceptable standard, reliably, repeatedly, in a timely manner, aids, appliances etc all have specific meanings to the DWP decision maker. The face to face interviewer is not the decision maker so it is important that accurate information reaches the decision maker and sadly ATOS interviewers do not have anything like a good enough reputation for providing that. That is why expert advice is needed when you fill out the form.

I can well understand why you wish to keep being able to walk as much as possible but you should not do so if you are exacerbating your condition. I think you said you use a wheelchair at home and amobility scooter when out and about locally. Of course using a wheelchair or mobility scooter has logistical problems when transferring from car to mobility scooter/wheelchair that is carried with you in the car which could be why you try to walk the 100 yards because using a wheelchair brings its own problems. ..
    Do not be fooled into believing that this society cannot be made fairer because hard work isn't necessarily all it takes.
    There are those on MSE DT who know the price of everything but the value of little.
  • wellynever
    Options

I can walk 100 yards 3 times a week reliably yet get the HRM,

You know very little about PIP.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family