not looking disabled?!

Comments

• jetta_wales
    jetta_wales Posts: 2,168 Forumite
    When me my other half and a friend or two get out of the car and go to tesco or wherever we certainly get looks, all young and no white stick but on bright days (which is when we use them) my eyes are clamped shut as I can't see jack sh*t and it hurts really bad but I'll be damned if I'll ever let it show. Cebe sunglasses a cap and holding my OH's arm and when we're in doors then I can relax more and we just hold hands like any other couple. There's a real lack of awareness with many many people still who think that you can see all disabilities and if we don't want to show every single struggle we deal with then clearly we can't be dissabled. Oh and especially young people we definatly can't be dissabled unless we have a chair or white stick etc.

People with tunnel vision can actually get abused of pretending to be blind because they can't see their feet and see where they're going so some often need a cane but can then sit down on a bus and read a newspaper with no difficulty because through the area of sight that they do have in the centre they can see well. But that just looks ridiculous to somebody who's never known of it before.
    "Life is what you make of it, whoever got anywhere without some passion and ambition?
  • I am considered fairly attractive, youngish (40 oops) and appear mobile - I have to use disabled parking bays, disabled toilets and have had continued hassle with my Disability Support Officer at University because I don't LOOK disabled - I've even had hassle from people who call themselves my friends at school because they've lost a free parking space as I need the only disabled bay - after alot of hassle, upset and tears I contacted an Independent Disability Awareness Service who advised me that these continual jibes are termed 'Disability Hate Crime' - I'm in the process of finding out the legal implications of these situations (especially the formal school situation). Now I know what to expect when I park or leave a disabled toilet I anticipate hassle and life is too short for that. I carry on as normal and at the slightest whiff of hassle - I turn, flutter those eyes and smile a sweet smile...then walk away. First impressions aren't always the true reality - especially when you have mutiple hidden disabilities. Your day isn't worth carrying their grief.
    OOOhhh, im really upset, :(
    I was again challenged by some passers by after i parked in a disabled bay, clearly displaying my badge, but because im young (ish) mid 30s, and have a young baby, (i assume this is the reason people scowl and pass comment) people seam to get upset.

so, i intend to put a little note to display next to my badge, just need help with wording.
    anyone else do this to hopefully stop a public arguement?
  • rev229
    rev229 Posts: 1,045 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper Mortgage-free Glee!
    I get looks all the time when out with DD12. She looks normal but had Autism, Severe learning difficulties and Epilepsy. she is unable to walk for any length of time. She has the mental age of a 4 year old! If anyone would like a child like mine with the added stresses they are welcome to walk a few miles in my shoes!!! I woild do anything for her not to need the badge and be a normal 12yr old! She will never grow up and live independantly!
  • As a BB holder myself I say if anybody queries you, ask them what authority they have to query you - are they from the blue badge enforcement team? Yes there is one. Assuming they are not then I would politely tell them it's none of their business. You do not need to put a note beside your blue badge, it's nobody else's business!:D

I find my biggest problem is that the bb holder bays are full of non bb holders. When I point that out these people returning to their cars that they're preventing me from being able to park and get my shopping I usually get a mouthful of abuse :mad: I just tell them that I hope someday they don't need a BB cos then they will know what I mean! ;)

Always walk away and don't get stressed by all the ignorant people out there!:)
  • jizzler wrote: »
    i cant wait personally until this new law comes in

This shows your ignorance of the different types of disability people can have. Wheelchair users need a wider space to get in/out of a car. Other people, such as myself, are very limited in the distances we can walk, hence the BB. Maybe wheelchair users should have dedicated parking spaces further away from the area where people such as myself can park.
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Not only wheelchair users. People who use a two door car because the doors are a lot wider need the extra space so they can fully open the door in order to get out of the car. If I opened the front door fully in my two door I'd be putting a nice crease down the car next to mine if I was using a standard width space.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • sunnyone
    sunnyone Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    jizzler wrote: »
    i cant wait personally until this new law comes in

This shows your ignorance of the different types of disability people can have. Wheelchair users need a wider space to get in/out of a car. Other people, such as myself, are very limited in the distances we can walk, hence the BB. Maybe wheelchair users should have dedicated parking spaces further away from the area where people such as myself can park.

And this post shows your ignorance, get a wheelchair if you cant walk, that what other people do when they have no choice because they cant walk at all.

or self propel in my case because unlike you three of my limbs dont work, Im in constant pain and need meds 80x's stronger than morphine just to move at all.
  • sunnyone
    sunnyone Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Errata wrote: »
    Not only wheelchair users. People who use a two door car because the doors are a lot wider need the extra space so they can fully open the door in order to get out of the car. If I opened the front door fully in my two door I'd be putting a nice crease down the car next to mine if I was using a standard width space.

Thats one of the things that the regional mobility center's goes over when you have your assessment to drive, they even suggest vehicles that would work with your disability which I found very helpful, without this and the assessment as a whole I would never have driven again even though I wasnt driving when the crash happend.
  • jizzler wrote: »
    i cant wait personally until this new law comes in about not being able to have a blue badge unless you ACTUALLY have to use wheelchair to get about in. should of been brought in years ago.

Any links to that Jizzler or are you scaremongering?
    There was a consultation last year and it was to sort out if

• Letting people who find it very hard to understand things, and who are not safe near roads, to get a Blue Badge.
    • Letting people who cannot walk very much and whose condition will last for at least 1 year get a Blue Badge.

So unless you can provide a link I shall deem you trolling.
  • MrsManda
    MrsManda Posts: 4,457 Forumite
    edited 16 March 2011 at 8:50PM
    Any links to that Jizzler or are you scaremongering?
    There was a consultation last year and it was to sort out if

• Letting people who find it very hard to understand things, and who are not safe near roads, to get a Blue Badge.
    • Letting people who cannot walk very much and whose condition will last for at least 1 year get a Blue Badge.

So unless you can provide a link I shall deem you trolling.

The changes can be found here:
    http://www.dft.gov.uk/transportforyou/access/bluebadge/reform/
    There doesn't seem to be anything saying that the eligibility criteria is being tightened to only people who have a wheelchair. But it does say that by 2012 there should be greater use of independent mobility assessments to determine eligibility.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure