Thousands will lose benefits as harsher medical approved

Unity
Unity Posts: 1,524 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
edited 14 April 2010 at 10:43AM in Disability money matters
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I hope that the following will prove useful, including the links. Steve Donnison has given his permission to use the article so long as it is reprinted in full - or I might have been tempted to edit it down a little :D.[/FONT]

I am not canvassing for people to join, I'm not actually a member myself - I just read the free articles to keep up to date with new and proposed legislation ;).

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Thousands will lose benefits as harsher medical approved[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]13 April 2010[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Once again, a bombshell that could cause huge financial hardship to tens of thousands of claimants has been dropped, virtually unnoticed, by a government minister.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The shock plans, for ‘simplifying’ the work capability assessment for employment and support allowance (ESA) include docking points from amputees who can lift and carry with their stumps. Claimants with speech problems who can write a sign saying, for example, ‘The office is on fire!’ will score no points for speech and deaf claimants who can read the sign will lose all their points for hearing. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Meanwhile, for ‘health and safety reasons’ all points scored for problems with bending and kneeling are to be abolished and claimants who have difficulty walking can be assessed using imaginary wheelchairs. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]These changes, and many more, have already been approved by the secretary of state for work and pensions but have not yet passed into law. They will affect both ESA claimants and the 1.5 million incapacity benefits claimants waiting to be assessed for ESA. Read more in:[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Even harsher new ESA medical approved (This article is members only)
http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/news/members-only-news/1207-even-harsher-new-esa-medical-approved[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]If you’re not a member, you can find out more, comment on the plans and learn how to try to prevent them happening in our new blog:[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Thousands to lose benefits as harsher medical approved (This article is open access)
http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/blogs/2010/04/13/thousands-will-lose-benefits-as-harsher-medical-approved/[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]DLA AND AA SAVED?
Thanks to the enormous outcry led by Benefits and Work members, disability living allowance and attendance allowance are safe – for the course of one parliament at least. It’s a victory worth remembering as politicians now launch their attack on ESA and incapacity benefit claimants instead.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Read more in: DLA and AA safe for one parliament (This article is open access)
http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/news/latest-news/1208-dla-and-aa-safe-for-one-parliament
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]WILL YOU BE VOTING?
Benefits claimants are faced with a tough task at the coming general election: finding any party you can vote for with enthusiasm or even a glimmer of hope for better treatment in the future.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Visit our blog and let us know who you’re planning to vote for - or whether you’ve given up on the whole political process.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Is there anyone claimants can vote for? (This article is open access)
http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/blogs/2010/04/12/is-there-anyone-claimants-can-vote-for/
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]50+ ORGANISATIONS THAT FIGHT FOR CLAIMANTS
More than 50 new and existing member organisations have so far taken advantage of our offer of half-price professional membership of Benefits and Work in return for letting us list their names on the site.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The list includes advice agencies, welfare rights teams, solicitors, law centres, ME support groups, housing associations, national charities, disabled people’s forums and more. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]You can read a full-list of the agencies in: 50+ organisations sign up for half-price membership (This article is open access)
http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/news/latest-news/1209-50-organisations-sign-up-for-half-price-membership
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Remember, the offer is now open until 30th April, so it’s still not too late to get your agency’s professional membership for just £47.50. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]And, if you’re still not sure about joining, here’s what Helga Collier, Senior Benefits Advisor at Coventry MIND has to say about the site:[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]“This website is the most valuable source of Benefits information that we have ever come across. The information that you provide is far more comprehensive and helpful than any other website."[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]VOLUNTEERS WANTED
We’re looking for people who would be happy to spend the odd few minutes a day helping out on the site on a voluntary basis. As mentioned elsewhere, we’ve started a blog and we’re expecting to have to deal with lots of spam and inappropriate comments from some visitors. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]We need people to check through comments before they’re published. There’s no set times you have to be available, you don’t need any benefits or technical knowledge and we’ll give you full instructions and support. You do need to have been a subscribing member of the site for over a year, however. If you’re interested in getting involved, please drop us an email at: [EMAIL="info@benefitsandwork.co.uk"]info@benefitsandwork.co.uk[/EMAIL][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]AND FINALLY
Finally, we do apologise for the late publication of this newsletter. A combination of food poisoning, setting up our blog software and wading through the hideous review of the work capability assessment left us far behind schedule. In particular, our apologies to all of you who sent us emails about how DLA has changed your life, we’ll now be publishing the winning submissions in the next newsletter.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Good luck,[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Steve Donnison[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]TRAINING
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]There's still time to sign up for some of Mark Perlic's DLA and AA training courses running in London, Birmingham and Manchester. Find out more here:[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/training/open-training[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif](c) 2010 Steve Donnison. You are welcome to reproduce this newsletter on your website or blog, provided you do so in full.[/FONT]
Some people hear voices, some see invisible people. Others have no imagination whatsoever :D

Comments

• Trialia
    Trialia Posts: 1,108 Forumite
    I saw this this morning. Disgusting. What is it about politicians that they always target the weakest members of society rather than going after the people who evade income tax, for example, who cost the country billions more than those who are on benefits? Actually, no need to answer that, I know that's where a lot of the parties' funding comes from.

This makes me sick.
    Homosexual, Unitarian, young, British, female, disabled. Do you need more?
  • Antispam
    Antispam Posts: 6,636 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    They attack the weakest because they are the easiest to target, less likely to fight back

You never know whats around the corner, you might be fit and well one day and next ill unable to work
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 13 April 2010 at 4:42PM
    It does look to me - like another government mistake that will backfire in their smug, money grabbing faces - if they can save money - who do they pick ?
    The Disabled are an easy target ......

So - what are we going to do ?
    I recommend that we all start writing to our MPs - let them know our feelings about the situation - they are going to be out of a job soon if they don't do what we want !!
    It appears to "only" mention those on I.B being transferred to ESA via WCA ?
    I don't think that it is planned retrospectively to affect those of us, already on ESA - Although I may be wrong ?

Yvette Cooper - In May 2009, it was revealed that together with her husband they 'flipped' the designation of their second home three times in a 24-month period, despite being warned several times by expenses officials that their claims were excessive. Yvette Cooper and her husband, Labour minister Ed Balls, bought a four-bed house in Stoke Newington, north London, and registered this as their second home (rather than their home in Castleford, West Yorkshire) in order to qualify for up to £44,000 a year to subsidise a reported £438,000 mortgage under the Commons Additional Costs Allowance. This is despite both spouses working in London full-time and their children attending local London school...

Need I say more ??
  • I got this in an email as well,and the important point to note is that these PROPOSALS,havent yet been passed into law,and considering we are in the middle of an election it will be some time before they are,if they ever are.
    I used to be a member of b&w but i eventually realised that they often work to their own agenda,and often put a slant on announcements to encourage people to join and cough up 20 quid for help that is FREELY avaliable elsewhere,this looks very much one such example.
  • 21Twinkle wrote: »
    It does look to me - like another government mistake that will backfire in their smug, money grabbing faces - if they can save money - who do they pick ?

I recommend that we all start writing to our MPs - let them know our feelings about the situation - they are going to be out of a job soon if they don't do what we want !!
    I don't think that it is planned retrospectively to affect those of us, already on ESA - Although I may be wrong ?

Yvette Cooper - In May 2009, it was revealed that together with her husband they 'flipped' the designation of their second home three times in a 24-month period, despite being warned several times by expenses officials that their claims were excessive. Yvette Cooper and her husband, Labour minister Ed Balls, bought a four-bed house in Stoke Newington, north London, and registered this as their second home (rather than their home in Castleford, West Yorkshire) in order to qualify for up to £44,000 a year to subsidise a reported £438,000 mortgage under the Commons Additional Costs Allowance. This is despite both spouses working in London full-time and their children attending local London school...

Need I say more ??

as for retrospective issue,as wca will happen far more often than pca ever did I dont suppose that will be an issue,IF these proposals become law
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    woodbine wrote: »
    I got this in an email as well,and the important point to note is that these PROPOSALS,havent yet been passed into law,and considering we are in the middle of an election it will be some time before they are,if they ever are.
    I used to be a member of b&w but i eventually realised that they often work to their own agenda,and often put a slant on announcements to encourage people to join and cough up 20 quid for help that is FREELY avaliable elsewhere,this looks very much one such example.

I would echo this, especially considering the scaremongering that they produced over the DLA/ AA changes that never transpired.

We should always remember that not everything we read in the media is wholly accurate!
    Gone ... or have I?
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    21Twinkle wrote: »

Need I say more ??

We do not actually have MPs at present, parliament has been dissolved.

The MP expenses situation has absolutely no relevance to changes to ESA.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • Molly41
    Molly41 Posts: 4,919 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    "Meanwhile, for ‘health and safety reasons’ all points scored for problems with bending and kneeling are to be abolished"

Well thats good anyway. I fell flat on my face when asked to bend over! Frightened the life out of the doctor!
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. When it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    When the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
  • lolababy
    lolababy Posts: 723 Forumite
    Maybe some people will see this as scare mongring but still take heed as they are the site who moniter thease things.
  • they are also a site who manipulate these things to suit their own agenda,if they suggest that a major change is about to happen it might encourage people to spend £20 on joining them,dont get me wrong they do have some excellent advice,but most if not all of it is avaliable for nowt elsewhere.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure