Dismissal / Redundancy / Non Renewal

Options
Question, but first a little background.

Work for a project nearing it's end. Will have been here four years when it finally finishes.

The culmination of the project is a massive restructure of local public service providers. Suggestion seems to be that some teams are going to lose 25-35% of their workforce, due to a joined up approach between previously separate organisations.

I'm employed by one of these organisations, working on the project which is funded from central funds - and not being funded beyond Apr 2018. (Most of the rest of the people on the project are either on secondments, or been here less than 2 years) - so it seems that I'm the only one who's substantive post is coming to an end, but has full employment rights. (in the project team)

My role wont exist, though other similar roles will - in the new restructured single team.

Questions:

1. When this restructure happens roles will be terminated - am I entitled to be considered for roles in the new single team? (the employer would be the same entity as I currently have now)
2. if yes, am I entitled to be considered ahead of others who do not have 2 years service (I suspect no, but wanted to clarify)
3. The organisation offers enhanced redundancy. As my role is being made redundant, I would qualify, unless a suitable alternative is offered. (seems unlikely when 25% of workforce for certain depts. is being terminated) - Is it wise to mention this early on?
4. I understand that with such big plans the unions will no doubt be involved, what kind of action or proposals are they likely to try get for their members (I'd estimate that 100-300 staff are potentially being lost)

I am in a union, and have made them aware of the potential issue. Just want to have a good understanding myself before contacting them again. It's been hinted that contract non-renewal letters will be sent around Christmas (thanks boss!)

Comments

• Ozzuk
    Ozzuk Posts: 1,884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Can't help, but a word of caution on 'enhanced redundancy'...I know a company that has that as a policy and has used it in the past. However, that company is now facing more cuts (potentially 80-100 roles) and the first offer was only statutory, no mention of the enhanced scheme!
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ozzuk wrote: »
    Can't help, but a word of caution on 'enhanced redundancy'...I know a company that has that as a policy and has used it in the past. However, that company is now facing more cuts (potentially 80-100 roles) and the first offer was only statutory, no mention of the enhanced scheme!

NHS - agenda for change. National policy.

But thanks, I do appreciate it
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    edited 8 December 2017 at 10:34AM
    Options
    With major projects for change the usual stratagy is to know what will be needed once implemented and be sure you are top candidate for one of the jobs by positioning yourself for the roles you want.
    If you don't want to be part of the restructured place you distance yourself but look for other opportunities, maybe the next project for change.

Do the trusts/areas involved have job vacancies and redeployment pools that may be the transition option to getting rid immediately.

the important thing in these situations is to decide what you want and steer in that direction by being proactive rather than just waiting to see what happens.
  • Comms69
    Options
    Thanks, you’re absolutely right.

Unfortunately the 25-35% loss in some teams has only just been announced. So whilst I know I’m suited to a number of roles, I’m very much the outsider and suspect management will be looking to retain as much of their own team as possible.

Certainly that is one option, work we’re doing is years ahead of other areas and a major selling point on my cv.

Off the record conversations I’ve had are that i’lll be receiving a non- renewal letter. Which suggests that the new structure won’t feature myself- for whatever reason.

I guess i just want to find out what my baseline legal position is, and use that as a stepping stone.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Management will also be looking to cut the dead wood

If you have a level of mobility I would look for the next region to engage in this change or anything similar, use the experience to try and get a better job on the next project.

how/who conceived the project if external they may have the next one lines up already if internal talk to the high ups that drove it they will likely know what other things are happening that might be of interest and use your skills.

The first part of the process if they already know will be to advise of non renewal and that triggers consultation the idea being to find something, 4 months is a long time.

If it is the kind of change that may require ongoing support from the project team for those in post (time to adapt/train etc.) is there any chance that could happen and extend the roles of some people.
  • Comms69
    Options
    Management will also be looking to cut the dead wood

If you have a level of mobility I would look for the next region to engage in this change or anything similar, use the experience to try and get a better job on the next project.

how/who conceived the project if external they may have the next one lines up already if internal talk to the high ups that drove it they will likely know what other things are happening that might be of interest and use your skills.

The first part of the process if they already know will be to advise of non renewal and that triggers consultation the idea being to find something, 4 months is a long time.

If it is the kind of change that may require ongoing support from the project team for those in post (time to adapt/train etc.) is there any chance that could happen and extend the roles of some people.

All good ideas thanks- guess I was looking at it quite negatively, concerned obviously about what I’m doing in April.

I will use the next couple months to get in touch with my contacts in the exec teams and make sure my name is being mentioned.

Thanks for the practical advice
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport