Ace Claims Management - too good to be true?

Hi

I'm after some advice please everyone.

Yesterday I had a call out of the blue from Ace Claims Management who tell me that I am due over £8,000 from the court case against Provident Finance. I did have a loan from them years ago. This all hangs together but I'm a bit twitchy about it all when there are so many scams about. They are asking for payment of £675 up front to release the funds to me, when I queried this they said it was because the have fought the case in court.

Looking on the gov.uk website they are on the claims management register and also at companies house.

is this really to good to be true?

If it's genuine, can I not claim the funds direct from provident finance myself?

And advice or guidance would be appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• If you have a genuine complaint, them make it directly.

But you almost certainly don't.

If you pay them the £675, all you will have achieved is having reduced your savings by £675.
  • Why would you be prepared to give £675 at all, let alone upfront?
    This company cannot put a figure on the amount you might receive because your financial details are not in the public domain.

Sounds like they tricked you into revealing you had a loan with Provident and are making wild claims about court cases that have not been fought, let alone won.

Keep your £675 in your pocket.
  • Hi

They had my name, mobile number, address, new I'd had a loan with Provident and can quote the exact figure due to me. I have a letter to sign in order to release the funds. All looks very genuine...

very undecided about it
  • They haven't quoted an exact figure due to you.

They've quoted a number large enough to arouse your greed.

Nothing about it looks genuine.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,309 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 12 October 2018 at 6:55PM
    Let me give you an example of what advance fee fraud looks like.....

Cold calling company you have had no dealing with plays to your greed by waving £8000 in front of your eyes. Whilst you are blinded by greed, they tell you that you have to pay £675 up front to release it. In your blind state, you believe them and pay the money and wait for a lump sum that never arrives.

If you ever watched an episode of Hustle, most of them used the advance fee fraud model as their storyline. Does any of this sound familiar to what you have had?
    If it's genuine, can I not claim the funds direct from provident finance myself?

If it was genuine, you wouldnt need to as the FCA would be telling the company to refund the money directly to you with no input required from you.

If this was a secured loan, then that info is in the public domain. Some dodgy CMCs have been buying that data and then cold calling people. The fact they know the lender, amounts etc means they sound more credible. However, it is just public domain info.

Also, a number of CMCs have data unlawfully. From ex employees or other sources.

You are free to complain to the firm directly at no cost. That is what you should do if you feel there is an issue here.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • KizzyWine wrote: »
    I have a letter to sign in order to release the funds.
    How could they "release" funds? If you pay this firm £675 then you are simply throwing that money away.

Cold callers can generally access your name, address and telephone number simply from the Electoral Roll and Directory Enquires. If they haven't accessed information about your Provident loan illegally, it's very likely they tricked you into confirming that you had such a loan and proceeded from there.

The simple thing to remember is that it is sensible never to listen to cold callers, especially ones which tell you that you are somehow "owed" money for which you must pay an upfront fee.

This has scam written all over it.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    As above, if you were 'owed' money, why would they have given it to a company you have never heard of to 'release' them to you? Why wouldnt they have given it directly to you?
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • thanks everyone, much as I thought - oh well :)
  • Dear KizzyWine,
    And anyone else who this may concern,

I am the Managing Director of Ace Claims Managament.
    Unfortunately we have recently been a victim of cyber fraud.
    We have reported this to the Fraud Team and they are investigating these scammers who are fraudulently using our company name and details.

For future reference, we would NEVER cold call our clients asking for payments.
    If you ever receive calls claiming to from ace claims management, please report to the police immediately.
  • ~Brock~
    ~Brock~ Posts: 1,710 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 17 December 2018 at 3:38PM
    S.Mumin wrote: »
    {Removed by Forum Team}

I dread to think how poor the average level of data security is within the CMC industry as a whole (bearing in mind many firms are set up to ride a gravy train with no long term idea of sustainability once the station draws near) and the potentially grave consequences for the information held relating to data subjects.

Much of this data comes from DSARs issued to banks and therefore apart from being irrelevant to the purposes of the CMC could also be extremely sensitive.

However, cyber fraud or not, the above post does not explain why the OPs data was being held in the first place if they were not already a customer......:think:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure