Financial Connections?

Hi all, first time poster long time worrier.

I have a squeaky clean account. Never gone overdrawn, no need for an overdraft, loan, credit card etc.

However my partner does not. A while ago she took out an Argos store card and defaulted and has gone into an IVA which is now being monitored.

I noticed my credit score has plummeted and upon looking at my "financial connections" on Clearscore it is evident the card was taken with my name on it too - therefore my main "negative" is that I need to try not to have any further defaults or repossessions! I am incredibly frustrated, I'm trying to open a simple current account with Starling or Monzo but I am being declined. I know this is down to my credit score.

The only other negative on my report is to try and increase my credit limit. I don't have credit cards. I am unsure how I am meant to improve my credit score with this hanging over my head due to no fault of my own.

Is this something someone will be able to rectify or is this a conversation I need to have at home?

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hi all, first time poster long time worrier.

I have a squeaky clean account. Never gone overdrawn, no need for an overdraft, loan, credit card etc.

However my partner does not. A while ago she took out an Argos store card and defaulted and has gone into an IVA which is now being monitored.

I noticed my credit score has plummeted and upon looking at my "financial connections" on Clearscore it is evident the card was taken with my name on it too - therefore my main "negative" is that I need to try not to have any further defaults or repossessions! I am incredibly frustrated, I'm trying to open a simple current account with Starling or Monzo but I am being declined. I know this is down to my credit score.

The only other negative on my report is to try and increase my credit limit. I don't have credit cards. I am unsure how I am meant to improve my credit score with this hanging over my head due to no fault of my own.

Is this something someone will be able to rectify or is this a conversation I need to have at home?

Dont fret as it isnt down to your score since only you can see it. Lenders, banks etc see your credit history.

You say the card was taken with your name on it, so its in your name too, maybe you can try and get your name taken off the card account.
  • Thanks - trying not to fret but I am currently solely supporting a family of 3 with a wedding coming up! I know the actual numerical score doesn't have an impact but clearly something is impacting my financial position as those aforementioned banks won't entertain giving me an account and I will not even be considered for a small O/D with my bank (more of a safety net if anything).

I can try and get my name removed from the card however I don't know if this will fly on the basis my partner has clearly had my name on there from the start - her showing as a financial connection on my report looks like what is preventing any movement.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    There's no such thing as joint credit cards in the UK. I don't think you can apply for an Argos card in joint names either. I know with credit cards there is a principle card holder and it's their credit files the the card is reported to because they are the only person who has liability for the card. Secondary card holders can be added but as they have no liability whatsoever for the debt the card is not reported to their credit files.

Are you absolutely positive that the Argos card is not solely in your name?

Do you have any joint accounts or other financial products, forgetting about the Argos card for now, with your partner?
  • No other financial products with my partner which is part of my frustration. Based on what you have said it seems likely this has been taken out in my name only but surely this would have flagged up to me somehow? I have had no emails, no phone calls or letters, never physically used or even SEEN the card and my bank account has never been charged - is it even legal to take out a card in your partner's name on the basis you live at the same address?
  • Pixie5740
    No other financial products with my partner which is part of my frustration. Based on what you have said it seems likely this has been taken out in my name only but surely this would have flagged up to me somehow? I have had no emails, no phone calls or letters, never physically used or even SEEN the card and my bank account has never been charged - is it even legal to take out a card in your partner's name on the basis you live at the same address?

If your partner applied for the card online then she could have entered whatever email address and phone number she liked, the card issuer isn't going to know they're not yours. Then all your partner had to do was get to the post before you and set up paperless billing. No, none of what I am describing is legal. It is fraud and identity theft regardless of who has done it.
  • I have just spoken to Argos card services (from whom I believe the default has originated) and they have no record of a card under my name (and of course can't divulge anything further). Without the card number itself I cannot request any resets or anything either.

Thanks for listening, I must sound incredibly naive.
  • Pixie5740
    If there is no account in your name then it should not be getting reported to your credit files. There is the option with each credit reference agency to challenge things showing on your report. I did it recently with Call Credit (via Noddle), Experian (via MSE Credit Club) and Equifax (via ClearScore).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure