Genuine Work from Home Jobs

I was wondering if there are any genuine work from home jobs out there? I have multiple chronic illnesses but I am one of those people who can get no help - not sick enough apparently. But there is no way I could hold down a job as I would be absent more than I was there. However I do feel I could do a typing from home type job as I can literally lie down and type should I need to.

Is there anything genuine out there. I’ve been looking on all the job seeking websites and can’t really find anything. Both my children are in full time school now so I have a few hours a day I could dedicate to something computer based. I’ve tried starting a blog but that doesn’t appear to be going anywhere yet.

Thank you!

Comments

• Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Another recent thread with exactly the same title - might be useful (no point people repeating what they've said): https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5777401

Give your blog time - it takes hard work and effort plus a bit of luck for one to succeed.
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Is there anything that the OP is competent/experienced at, that they could train people online, or offer a support (technical) service, where you log onto other people's systems and troubleshoot or problem solve?
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    andygb wrote: »
    Is there anything that the OP is competent/experienced at, that they could train people online, or offer a support (technical) service, where you log onto other people's systems and troubleshoot or problem solve?
    No-one should ever do this, it's used by scam artists and is very VERY dangerous
  • The most frustrating thing for employers when we are recruiting for home workers is that the majority of candidates seem to be looking for MLM opportunities rather than a "normal" job thats just carried out at home rather than in an office.

Last week I posted a number of ads on social media "work from home forums" offering PT up to FT hours, with good OTE and benefits and we hardly got a sniff. Yet on the same forums a post from some Great Granny in Walsall offering a chance to "join me in the crypto currency block chain congo party - this is not a scam" must have had a hundred PM'd you babe replies.

strange times :money:
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    heyalexa wrote: »
    The most frustrating thing for employers when we are recruiting for home workers is that the majority of candidates seem to be looking for MLM opportunities rather than a "normal" job thats just carried out at home rather than in an office.

Last week I posted a number of ads on social media "work from home forums" offering PT up to FT hours, with good OTE and benefits and we hardly got a sniff. Yet on the same forums a post from some Great Granny in Walsall offering a chance to "join me in the crypto currency block chain congo party - this is not a scam" must have had a hundred PM'd you babe replies.

I call them out whenever I can. Last week one had and I quote: Average earnings £25 per hour.

I questioned this and another team member replied saying she worked 6-8 hours a week and made £200 a month, so it wasn't a scam and I was talking rubbish. (clearly maths not a strong suit there)....

The rest of the cabal soon turned up and I was a troll, a hater etc etc.

I reported it and moved on, but it's crazy how people are blinded by the cr*p.
  • Kit1
    Kit1 Posts: 422 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    heyalexa wrote: »
    The most frustrating thing for employers when we are recruiting for home workers is that the majority of candidates seem to be looking for MLM opportunities rather than a "normal" job thats just carried out at home rather than in an office.

Can l ask what sort of job you were advertising please and was it in a certain area or can it be done from anywhere in the UK?
    Stash Busting Challenge 2016 6/52
  • CakeCrusader
    CakeCrusader Posts: 1,118 Forumite
    A lot of forum/moderator jobs are home based, they just want people who have attention to detail. Hours vary depending on the company. Some recruit 'freelancers', some recruit PAYE staff (so they have better rights).
  • jonnygee2
    jonnygee2 Posts: 2,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    . But there is no way I could hold down a job as I would be absent more than I was there. However I do feel I could do a typing from home type job as I can literally lie down and type should I need to.

Generally, at home or not work can be stressful and exhausting. Office jobs can be high pressure. The fact you can post in forums or write a blog while lying down doesn't necessarily mean you can work.

If your illness restricts your mobility, then looking for WFH positions might make sense. But if the reason you need to lie down is tiredness / fatigue then I don't think WFH is an option.

If it is going to work - maybe approach local businesses to see if they need help with admin? Another option is to look at being an online PA - a friend of mine does this freelance now and earns very good money, all from home (but it's incredibly stressful and demanding).
  • heyalexa wrote: »

Hell, I know I could feel quite envious of the Home Workers for our company - just for the simple fact alone they can have their computer structure how ever they like! No squeezing a multitude of systems/platforms and the script and the telephone all on one screen if nothing else! wasn't half tempted to get a few months in and be making a work from home request just to get two cheeky screens!!

Apologies for going off topic. :o

OP - Insurance call centre's can do home work. Not sure on rate of pay. I imagine it maybe slightly under then being in a physical centre.
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Comms69 wrote: »
    No-one should ever do this, it's used by scam artists and is very VERY dangerous

What on earth are you talking about?
    Have you ever worked in an office based environment, where you use a computer?
    Have you ever worked in an office where the software is specific to that industry sector?
    Have you ever used a computer - well the answer to that is quite obviously "yes", because you are on this forum;)
    Have you ever been trained on work specific software?
    Have you ever trained someone on work specific software?
    There are large, respected software companies who use people working from home (like myself), who are very experienced and can provide online support to their clients, helping them in their time of need and sorting out problems, providing training.
    Now, would you like to rethink what you have said?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback