The London Mint Office - scam?

Comments

• My late father appears to have spent a fortune on these coins from the London Mint Office - they persuaded him to set up a direct debit - and they took increasingly large sums of money and sent him piles of worthless coins... he was conned.
  • ceegel
    ceegel Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 26 May 2010 at 11:37PM
    WARNING BEWARE!!!!
    Do not get involved with this outfit. They will send you items you did not order, and even if you return the item(s) they will still invoice you for them.
    Another of their antics is to send you an invoice for goods you have not received. Not big bills mind you, somewhere within the range of £20 - £40.00. Their hope is that you will associate them with the Royal Mint, and because the amount invoiced is fairly small, that you will pay it. ….DON’T! The telephone numbers on the invoice are non-functional, and there is no land address. The address on Google is Jessica House, Red Lion Square, London, SW18 4LS, however, don’t bother writing to them there because like every thing else about them, the address too, is BOGUS.
    If you receive an invoice for goods that you have not received, or merchandise that you have returned DON’T PAY IT!! Do not worry, nothing will happen to you. If you do pay, it will keep these rogues in business, and they will continue to frighten people - especially the old and venerable, because these are the people most at risk.
    This warning will be marked “Abuse” as soon as one of this company’s operatives see it. just like every other message about this lot. That must tell you something.
    YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. I can do no more than this.
  • Please people DO NOT get involved with this company. They are a nightmare. I ordered a 'free' coin (stupid I should know better!). I said no to receive other offers as I responded to their glossy tv advert. They then sent me the free coin and another coin and an invoice for £32. I immediately sent the full package back recorded delivery and the package was received fine confirmed by Royal Mail delivery.
    Next they try implying that the package was tampered with and trying to say the other coin worth £32 is missing.
    I am trying to get Trading Standards involved but it is a major hassle can do without. They are simply conmen - please do not get involved and get stung by these conmen.
    Any advice on how to nip in the bud would be great - but my worries are they have written a reminder invoice that mentions incur charges for late payment. Its starting to get worse now.
  • aconsumer wrote: »
    Please people DO NOT get involved with this company. They are a nightmare. I ordered a 'free' coin (stupid I should know better!). I said no to receive other offers as I responded to their glossy tv advert. They then sent me the free coin and another ..........

I did exactly the same, and they tried the same scam on me. As long as you have your recorded delivery receipt, they are STUFFED! It is not part of the contract that YOU have to get "witness statements" or employ the services of legal proffessionals as evidence and/or proof of precisely what you have packaged for return! So the risk is all theirs. Dont give these scammers a single penny. Yes, they will huff and puff and attempt to bully and intimidate you into handing over money because thats what conmen do! They are HOPING you will give in and pay up because they havent got a case. Unfortunately many do give in and thats why they are a "business" with a £200M turnover.

In my situation, they begrudgingly agreed to write of the fictitious debt as a so called "goodwill gesture" after I wrote a two page letter telling them that I wasnt going to take any crap. "Goodwill gesture" my a&%$ ! No apology though!

Anyone who deals with these clowns needs to keep a file for all documents, receipts and correspondence so that you've got amunition for when they come after you. Even after you have ended the contract with these idiots, you still need to KEEP THE FILE (just in case)!
  • In yesterday's Daily Express these poeple are advertising The 2010 Lone Soldier coin, yours for just £1 + P&P and the £1 goes to the Help For Heroes charity.

In the small print it says if your application is successful ... further coins in the series "Great British Heroes" will be sent at the regular price of £29.95 + P&P for an unspecified number of monthts.

Rather surprised (and disappointed) that Help For Heroes are lending their endorsement, but £1 x a limited edition of 50,000 talks.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • anewman
    anewman Posts: 9,200 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Rather surprised (and disappointed) that Help For Heroes are lending their endorsement, but £1 x a limited edition of 50,000 talks.
    £1 for a charity, £30 for them, coin value couple of quid if that. Something seems wrong somewhere.

There are two points that make The London Mint offers a scam. These are impersonation of an organisation http://www.actionfraud.org.uk/fraud-az-impersonation-of-officials trying to make you believe they are official like the Royal Mint. Also, I notice they are now trying to sell Gold coins as an investment in their adverts when the gold coin is pretty much worthless in the scheme of things http://www.actionfraud.org.uk/fraud-az-goods-sold-as-investment

If the coins sold themselves they wouldn't have to resort to sending coins in the post to people and demanding payment. The Charity thing only adds to the scam I would suggest.
  • anewman wrote: »
    £1 for a charity, £30 for them, coin value couple of quid if that. Something seems wrong somewhere.
    ...... The Charity thing only adds to the scam I would suggest.

I no longer have the original advert, but I don't think it clearly and unambiguously said that the charity would continue to receive donations for subsequent coin purchases. :(
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Hi folks

I've received a number of letters in the past couple of months from this organisation to my house. However, I've never had any dealings with them and received nothing from them and as they've been addressed to someone else - someone I've never even heard of and I've lived here for 6 years and this wasn't purchased from this person - I've not been opening them and have been meaning to send them back as 'unknown at this address'

Having actually gotten fed up of this junk, I've actually opened one and found within it a final demand for £45.35 as apparently payment hasn't been received.

Now I've typed 'The London Mint Office' into the search forums and found this thread.

Anyone have ideas of
    1. Why they've got my house address linked to this person?
    2. How I can stop this junk coming in future? - I'm supposed to be on the preferred postage list so that junk doesn't get delivered
    3. What I should do about the old letters from them i still have and what i should do with this demand? I'm certainly not going to be paying for something I didn't ask for and haven't received anyway!
  • KiKi
    KiKi Posts: 5,377 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    trenners wrote: »
    Hi folks

I've received a number of letters in the past couple of months from this organisation to my house. However, I've never had any dealings with them and received nothing from them and as they've been addressed to someone else - someone I've never even heard of and I've lived here for 6 years and this wasn't purchased from this person - I've not been opening them and have been meaning to send them back as 'unknown at this address'

Having actually gotten fed up of this junk, I've actually opened one and found within it a final demand for £45.35 as apparently payment hasn't been received.

Now I've typed 'The London Mint Office' into the search forums and found this thread.

Anyone have ideas of
    1. Why they've got my house address linked to this person?
    2. How I can stop this junk coming in future? - I'm supposed to be on the preferred postage list so that junk doesn't get delivered
    3. What I should do about the old letters from them i still have and what i should do with this demand? I'm certainly not going to be paying for something I didn't ask for and haven't received anyway!

1. No idea - maybe the person called up and gave them a false address because he was fed up with the post!

2. You can't - it's not junk because it's an invoice for a scheme someone 'signed up' to, it's just addressed to the wrong person

3. You could try calling them to make them aware, but it's unlikely they'll do anything. The only thing you can do - and MUST do - is to keep sending them back, saying 'Not Known At This Address.'

You don't have to pay for anything - it's not addressed to you. However, DO NOT send back the final one you've received, as you've opened it and (petty as it may seem) it's illegal to open post that isn't addressed to you. It might imply that you are the right person if you send it back, seemingly opened.

Just keep sending it back, Return To Sender. You can't do anything more other than calling them, but I suspect it would make no difference. You *could* write a letter, Recorded Delivery, with an instruction that the address is wrong - but keep a photocopy of the letter and the Recorded Delivery receipt.

KiKi
    ' <-- See that? It's called an apostrophe. It does not mean "hey, look out, here comes an S".
  • Looks like a scam, smells like a scam, walks like a scam ....
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback