DPD lazy driver

Comments

• calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    TonyMMM wrote: »
    You get what you pay for - as consumers we now expect free (or very cheap) delivery. All these companies are working to very low margins so any notion of customer service is not something they are really interested in - just volume & cost.

Thats the problem the consumer blames everyone but themselves.

At one placed I worked we did mail order. And our courier driver was paid something like £1.75 to collect from us. And that was from 1 parcel to a couple of hundred in the rush up to christmas.

Got to do a lot of deliveries and collections to make any money. But as long as I get free delivery and I earn a decent wage why do I care about anyone else!!!!

Yours

Calley x
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • SMCG
    SMCG Posts: 87 Forumite
    The consumer IS NOT TO BLAME for DPD destroying parcels. Your point in somehow blaming the consumer is way off.
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,056 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    SMCG wrote: »
    Amazing but with the odd abusive driver.

I said generally. I deal with delivery companies a lot, apart from that one occasion over a number of years I have never had a problem with the company.
    In my book, they are crap. Generally amazing with an odd abusive driver = crap. They broke my blind and ripped my picture. 2 out of 2 deliveries over 4 weeks. IT ALL EQUALS CRAP.

That is you’re opinion and experience, I won’t dispute it.

99% of the time they are absolutely fine though, much better than another firm that comes to mind overall.

That said, not getting out of the van to check is unacceptable. OP has had one of those experiences, which doesn’t mean everyone working for the company is bad.
    💙💛 💔
  • paulfoel
    paulfoel Posts: 5,819 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Well I did complain to DPD and got a reply from the executive team.

If you remember the issue was that the driver didn't bother knocking the door, or putting a card through, he just took a photo and drove off. Probably because he saw no cars in the drive way and couldn't be bothered. My MIL saw this happen.

DPDs response was that their drivers would NEVER do something like this and I must have lost the card and my MIL was mistaken.

Its comedy gold. I want a job with DPD you can get away with murder.
    Cymru am Byth !!! :j:j:j
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    paulfoel wrote: »

If you remember the issue was that the driver didn't bother knocking the door, or putting a card through, he just took a photo and drove off. Probably because he saw no cars in the drive way and couldn't be bothered. My MIL saw this happen.

DPDs response was that their drivers would NEVER do something like this and I must have lost the card and my MIL was mistaken..
    I had a similar response from Hermes when their courier claimed and insisted that they had tried to deliver and no one was in despite us being in all day.

They changed their mind when I pointed out that we had security cameras which I had checked and no one had been near our property all day apart from the postman, one is pointed at the drive and immediate road outside and another pointed at the garden and front door.
  • paulfoel
    They've told me now that drivers get paid per successful delivery but don't get paid for non-deliveries so they won't do this - i.e. not bother.

But then surely if you're looking to maximise successful ones and you see a house with no cars you know there is probably no-one in so why not move onto the next one asap? I guess they get to know that 95% of the time no car means people in work so its a numbers game for them. Worth taking a chance to get going again. All DPD management check is the GPS and that the driver took a photo.

Get the impression though that DPD know this happens. Its all over twitter so they just turn a blind eye. They know they can drivers to deliver for peanuts so dont mind putting up with this sort of thing.

Would be interested to hear from any delivery drivers on here who might like to give some insight?
  • K80_Black
    K80_Black Posts: 466 Forumite
    First Post
    I had a similar problem with Royal Mail. They have different postpeople doing letters and parcels in my area. Apparently my property was 'inaccessible' the day an important parcel was meant to arrive - unfortunately, my usual postie managed to deliver some letters and leaflets just fine a few hours before, proving it was definitely accessible!

An annoyance, but thankfully I was able to take delivery the next day.

I don't think people are wrong to expect stuff to arrive on time - Amazon prime costs £8 a month last I checked, and most 'Free' delivery is with minimum spends so the shops absorb the cost of postage from the extra tat you end up buying to make it up to £20/50 whatever.
  • paulfoel
    Seems to be a lot of delivery companies let they're staff get away with murder. DPD are not even the slightest bit interested....
  • Mrs_Ryan
    Mrs_Ryan Posts: 11,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 21 October 2018 at 12:50AM
    I ordered some Ugg slippers for my mum for Christmas and I paid extra to specify the delivery date as I knew I would be in all day. This is particularly important as I have an alcoholic neighbour who has a penchant for stealing anything valuable left with her and selling it to buy alcohol, she has stolen tickets left with her in the past and sold them on so I didn’t want her getting her hands on this parcel.
    The DPD driver didn’t even knock- just left the parcel with some random person over the road! First I knew was when I heard something come through the letterbox and it was a calling card. The usual driver knocks long and hard on the door as he knows I am hard of hearing- when I rang to complain the CS rep suggested ‘perhaps I hadn’t heard him knocking’ until I pointed out that my fiance has hearing like a bat (he often jumps out of bed because someone is knocking at our neighbour’s front door and thinks it’s ours- I can’t hear it) and he said categorically no-one knocked. Disappointed- I’ve usually found DPD to be good.
    *The RK and FF fan club* #Family*Don’t Be Bitter- Glitter!* #LotsOfLove ‘Darling you’re my blood, you have my heartbeat’ Dad 20.02.20
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Mrs_Ryan wrote: »
    I ordered some Ugg slippers for my mum for Christmas and I paid extra to specify the delivery date as I knew I would be in all day. This is particularly important as I have an alcoholic neighbour who has a penchant for stealing anything valuable left with her and selling it to buy alcohol, she has stolen tickets left with her in the past and sold them on so I didn’t want her getting her hands on this parcel.
    The DPD driver didn’t even knock- just left the parcel with some random person over the road! First I knew was when I heard something come through the letterbox and it was a calling card. The usual driver knocks long and hard on the door as he knows I am hard of hearing- when I rang to complain the CS rep suggested ‘perhaps I hadn’t heard him knocking’ until I pointed out that my fiance has hearing like a bat (he often jumps out of bed because someone is knocking at our neighbour’s front door and thinks it’s ours- I can’t hear it) and he said categorically no-one knocked. Disappointed- I’ve usually found DPD to be good.

So lets break this down. You think its quicker to go to your door,and a neighbours door before finally returning to your door?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure