Clydesdale: "Your brand new Internet Banking is here!"

Clydesdale have a programme of moving batches of users from their old system to a new system. Today, when I tried to login, I was presented with an invitation to login to the new system. Sadly, it failed to login successfully with either my or my partner's login credentials. A call to their 08003457365 helpline elicited the following information:

1. The Clydesdale knee-jerk response to login failure is to recommend using Google's Chrome browser - when I said I'd close my account rather than install Chrome, the discussion seemed to lead to the conclusion that it's Chrome or nothing! Backtracking later in the discussion, it was more "You can try other browsers but Clydesdale have decided to support only Chrome".

2. We can still access the old login and account display system using a link near the bottom of the login front-page displayed as "Login to existing Internet Banking". But this is a limited-life option - it'll disappear soon. [I can report that the link to the old system works and I successfully completed what I wanted to do today.] I have been given an assurance that Technical Support at Clydesdale will get back to me with an indication of how long the old system will remain available so that I can transfer funds out of my Clydesdale accounts and do an orderly closure of the accounts in due course.

3. The Clydesdale support then spotted that the error message I'd got at the unsuccessful login was due to a failure by the new system to recognise my customer number. Some customer numbers have not been transferred correctly to the new system* and will have to be re-entered manually which would be done today. So if you're using Chrome (or some other working browser) when you get an error message "Sorry, we're no longer able to assist you online
Please get in touch for further assistance", you'll have to ring Clydesdale and get them to add your customer number to the new system.

I have this afternoon succeeded in logging-in to the new system using my customer number (presumably now correctly re-entered). I used Firefox v52 (but v31 fails to login correctly) but don't try to change user preferences with Firefox v52, I just got a blank page and nowhere to go but to close the browser; but the accounts and money transfer pages displayed without problem. The new system is loaded with more javascript and has a totally different display and layout, with much larger font sizes. The old system had a very 'old-fashioned' basic appearance, very reminiscent of the data processing world of the 1970s which I was comfortable with and worked well once familiar with it - other customers will, of course, have different preferences....

* PS: Jokes about "Have you been taken over by TSB?" don't seem to go down too well....

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,298 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Can't see the problem with installing chrome , my only browser of choice..

Not unique to Clydesdale , creation finance won't allow me to log in via a mobile and only in chrome on my iPad
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,938 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Browntoa wrote: »

Not unique to Clydesdale , creation finance won't allow me to log in via a mobile and only in chrome on my iPad
    Just because it's your browser of choice (and many other people's to be fair), that isn't an adequate justification for a website of a major commercial organisation to be programmed on the assumption that everyone will use Chrome!

There's always a trade-off between portability, usability and supported browsers, but the vast majority of websites will be supported on a choice of browsers across a range of devices and operating systems, so if Clydesdale really are saying that their new site is only supported on Google Chrome that would be pretty poor....
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,298 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Not condoning it , just pointing out it's not unique

There are other financial institutions who play the " we only support xxxxxx browser"
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • scoot65
    scoot65 Posts: 470 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    After reading the previous posts, I decided to try to log in using my usual browser Safari. Logged in OK, had to confirm a few details, but otherwise all very painless. Looks totally different, but seems to be working OK for me
  • Shakin_Steve
    Shakin_Steve Posts: 2,700 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Browntoa wrote: »

I can log in to creation with safari on my iPad.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    It worked with Chrome (as expected) or Firefox but not Edge.
    They do still have a link to the old version on the website.

I found their new Android app to be fine - it's basically a clone of B app without the multiple colours and budgeting features. I suspect this new internet banking will be along similar lines.
  • CarolynCh
    CarolynCh Posts: 62 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Yorkshire Bank rather than Clydesdale (think the IB is the same anyway), but I have just tried to log on to the new internet banking using Chrome and got the message "Sorry we are no longer able to assist you online". This was after I had logged in, accepted terms & conditions and completed my email address as requested. I then tried again and got the error after just entering the customer number. Tried on Internet Explorer and it worked fine without any error messages, but still won't work on Chrome, even after clearing cookies.

Certainly looks like Clydesdale/Yorkshire are having similar problems to TSB with their wonderful new internet banking and apparently this appears to have been going on for months.

I have logged an enquiry/complaint.
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,683 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    CarolynCh wrote: »
    Yorkshire Bank rather than Clydesdale (think the IB is the same anyway), but I have just tried to log on to the new internet banking using Chrome and got the message "Sorry we are no longer able to assist you online". This was after I had logged in, accepted terms & conditions and completed my email address as requested. I then tried again and got the error after just entering the customer number. Tried on Internet Explorer and it worked fine without any error messages, but still won't work on Chrome, even after clearing cookies.

Certainly looks like Clydesdale/Yorkshire are having similar problems to TSB with their wonderful new internet banking and apparently this appears to have been going on for months.

I have logged an enquiry/complaint.

As far as I recall it worked fine on chrome for me last week. Do you run adblockers, tracker blockers etc? And have you tried it with those switched off?

Whatever the issue is I really don't think it's remotely comparable to the TSB situation. If it was there would be loads of complaints here - and this thread hasn't been added to since May, and even then it was only 7 posts long! TSB, by comparison, has multiple threads active with hundreds of posts..

In this case, it's far more likely to be a temporary glitch or a problem at your end.
  • tempus_fugit
    tempus_fugit Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    It works fine in Chrome for me too, but it is a crap system, one of the worst out there IMO. For exporting transactions, for example, it only offers CSV and not OFX or QIF. There are other issues too.
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.
  • Ergates
    Ergates Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    CarolynCh wrote: »
    I then tried again and got the error after just entering the customer number. Tried on Internet Explorer and it worked fine without any error messages, but still won't work on Chrome, even after clearing cookies.

Did you phone the support number?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport