MSE News: Barclays offers switchers double rewards for a year

Options

Comments

• beefturnmail
    beefturnmail Posts: 906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    To update on my post - I got 2 texts messages at the same time yesterday - one saying my switch was being processed, the second saying it had been cancelled as they could not proceed with it. I phoned the switch team to find out what was going on. Turns out that when I went in to branch the advisor had initiated on second switch in addition to one I had initiated online and it was this second switch which had been cancelled.

Raised the question of what is the purpose of the branch visit? My ID was not even checked whilst I was there (though they did ask my to put my debit card PIN into their reader - can they verify ID by doing this?)
  • gocat
    gocat Posts: 5,905 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Need to go to bank to show ID (got passport for that)
    For proof of adress Im sure it said can take old style paper driving license. But on the email it said , it says card only style.
    Havent got any other proof of adress, all my bank etc accounts are online and it says doesnt accept printed off statements.
    What is one to do
  • Mchambers
    Mchambers Posts: 1,054 Forumite
    Options
    I have a current account with Barclays and am getting Blue rewards.

I phoned banking and spoke twice. First call I spoke to an Indian agent. She told me that I was not eligible for the incentive as I was already getting blue rewards. I told her she was talking rubbish.

Second call 30 mins later, I spoke to another Indian. I asked to speak to someone in the UK. I was transferred to UK agent, who confirmed that I was eligible. Told me to go to my local branch with my Barclays debit card (no other id is needed) and details of my N/wide account.I then just sign a switching agreement.

I am going to complain about the first agent that I spoke to.

Nice and easy.
  • beefturnmail
    beefturnmail Posts: 906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    gocat wrote: »
    For proof of adress Im sure it said can take old style paper driving license. But on the email it said , it says card only style.
    Havent got any other proof of adress, all my bank etc accounts are online and it says doesnt accept printed off statements.
    What is one to do

Go in to branch anyway - they didn't ask to see my ID when I went in
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Options
    Went to the branch today with my Halifax debit card they took down the details asked me to choose a switching date and sign and all done so I will switch my Halifax account at the beginning of June

I asked about the card reader in order to make payments they said it is called pinsentry and although I can order a card reader the function is also within the Barclays banking app so I will use that
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,556 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 18 May 2018 at 3:07PM
    Options
    I certainly showed my ID docs and the banking advisor (still can't remember what they are called!) photocopied them to be sent to 'somebody!'

My Barclaycard is up and running.
    I'm planning to spend small amount each month - £10 max. The DD will be one of the 2 needed to earn the £7 bonus plus Barclaycard will give me £1 pm for 24 months. Bit of a no brainer really......

I don't have smart phone (mine is simply a phone!) so need the card reader.
    At this point heard a thump on the floor and the c.r. has just arrived in a jiffy bag.
    This week the phone pass also turned up.
    Think that's everything done and dusted.
    Ready for May 29th
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
  • gocat
    gocat Posts: 5,905 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    What is one to do
    Go in to branch anyway - they didn't ask to see my ID when I went in
    Now Ive received a letter with a "specimen Signature card" to sign and return. Also received a letter saying my "account is now open and eady to use"
    Will I still need to go to the bank?
    tia :)
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,556 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 18 May 2018 at 3:29PM
    Options
    What is one to do
    I would discuss this with the switching team as you can't be the only person with this particular problem, see if they have any suggestions
    If you don't have the number it is: 0333 202 7458

I see the old paper licence has both address and signature. (I keep mine so that I don't lose the card!) Surely it's only recently that the paper one became invalid?
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
  • keef-WhatStandards
    Options
    Mchambers wrote: »
    I told her she was talking rubbish.
    LOL!

Whilst I often want to do this, I find it better to ask for proof that what is being said is true via T&Cs or website URL. ;)
    Keef - Sheerness, Kent UK
  • Herbalus
    Herbalus Posts: 2,634 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    LOL!

Whilst I often want to do this, I find it better to ask for proof that what is being said is true via T&Cs or website URL. ;)

Depends what the adviser says. Theres no point talking to some advisers, and with Barclays I can well believe it. One adviser told me to initiate a switch to Barclays I would have to make the appointment in a NatWest branch....

No point reading T&Cs at that point. Hang up and try somebody else.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure