UPDATED: Air Source Heat Pumps/Air Con - Full Info & Guide, is it cheaper to run than mains gas?

Comments

• richardc1983
    richardc1983 Posts: 2,157 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I know but he has already pointed out that the loft remains warmer than the outside air even when the system is running constantly. So this loft must either have quite a high heat gain or there is a high airflow through it.

I was thinking exactly the same as you Sam but the manufacturer actually states airflow ammounts in the manual.

he has said that he monitors temps in the loft whilst the unit is on with a remote thermometer.
    If you found my post helpful, please remember to press the THANKS button! --->
  • Andy_WSM
    Andy_WSM Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Uniform Washer Rampant Recycler
    Hey guys, I'll let you know if I run into problems - I have nothing to gain or lose here, if it needs moving, so be it and I'll be the first to moan about it and let you know but at the moment it is working perfectly whether the temps be sub zero or double figures. This is new technology to us all, so someone needs to be a guinea pig! I've only done what the manufacturer said you can do - and it does what it says on the tin at the moment...

This morning the loft is actually 0.5C colder than the outside temps, but that's not enough to make me worry again!

Current temps: Outdoor 8.5C, Loft 8.0C, House, usual 22C.

I did notice that the unit ran a lot less last night as it was mild out and the overall power consumption / cost for the past 24 hours is: 12KW/h = £1.35 (11p/kwh)
  • richardc1983
    Andy I would make sure that your reading the temperature from the air inlet side of the unit where the coil is this will give an accurate reading as to whether the unit is short cycling cold air.

Measure your outside temperature in the shade too.
  • Very interesting installation by Andy_WSM.
    The tiled roof area, as well as the inevitable heat transfer through the upper floor ceiling, will have an effect of transferring heat into the loft space if it is being cooled by the heat pump.
    Anyone care to calculate how this could influence the operation?
  • Andy_WSM
    Anyone care to calculate how this could influence the operation?

Someone feel free to do the maths.

I heat the living area to 22C 24/7. I have cavity wall insulation, double glazing and 12" of loft insulation, excepting for a walkway through the loft which is only insulated to 6" for reasons of practicality. All pipes in the house & loft are insulated and the hot water tank is pre-lagged and wearing a jacket.

Current outdoor temp tonight 7.5C, Loft temp 8.2C.
    Todays outdoor high 10.9C, Loft high 15.8C

Cost of running heat pump today (reset 13 hours ago) = 75pence. I have had a shower and washed up the cats dishes in the kitchen, so used the best part of a tank of water :D
  • Andy_WSM
    Andy I would make sure that your reading the temperature from the air inlet side of the unit where the coil is this will give an accurate reading as to whether the unit is short cycling cold air.

Measure your outside temperature in the shade too.

I am pretty confident of my outdoor temps - in fact, I run a weather station :)

I'll move the loft sensor on the weekend. I could even cable tie it to the back of the unit so that it is in the flow of air being drawn through the unit.
  • albyota
    albyota Posts: 1,106 Forumite
    Andy, just a thought, if your roof is well ventilated, (as is Mine) then on very windy days, where small fibres and dust get whipped up, what would stop the coil from eventually getting blocked...I'm sure youv'e thought of this.....
    There are three types of people in this world...those that can count ...and those that can't! ;)

* The Bitterness of Low Quality is Long Remembered after the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten!
  • Andy_WSM
    albyota wrote: »
    Andy, just a thought, if your roof is well ventilated, (as is Mine) then on very windy days, where small fibres and dust get whipped up, what would stop the coil from eventually getting blocked...I'm sure youv'e thought of this.....

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on this. Probably no worse than the spiders webs, leaves and Seagull poo that gets picked up by my A/C unit outdoors ;) Nothing a soft brush and Henry Hoover won't sort hopefully.
  • albyota
    albyota Posts: 1,106 Forumite
    Nuff Sed, cheers.:beer:
    There are three types of people in this world...those that can count ...and those that can't! ;)

* The Bitterness of Low Quality is Long Remembered after the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten!
  • richardc1983
    Andy_WSM wrote: »
    I am pretty confident of my outdoor temps - in fact, I run a weather station :)

I'll move the loft sensor on the weekend. I could even cable tie it to the back of the unit so that it is in the flow of air being drawn through the unit.

THats what I have done with mine. Cable tied it to the grille at the back of the unit where the coil is. I notice that when the unit comes on the air temp drops as its pulling air in from across the garden ,closer to the house is always warmer.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback