PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Bogof_Babe wrote: »
    Nah, you're just chazzered out for a bit.
    Hardly.
    I've only just started venturing out after 10 weeks of enforced feet up.

I think DFV has it right, just nothing to take my fancy. :)
    I do however have a pile of stuff to go to the hospice when I feel able to take my shopping trolley out.
  • Pollycat
    Towser wrote: »
    With all these charity shop bargains, do you find you have far more than you need or want? Bordering on hoarding proportions?

I have a regular clear out and redonate the stuff I'm no longer bothered about.
    I don't think it would be practical to keep everything I buy indefinitely.
    I look on it a bit like a library:
    take something out, wear it a few times then return it.
    I have a varied wardrobe and the charities benefit.
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,899 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 24 May 2019 at 11:00PM
    Pollycat wrote: »

Oh dear, ladies.
    I fear I've lost my mojo. :(

Oooooh nooooo! If you are anything like me, when I start to lose heart after a couple of fruitless weeks, all it takes is one splendiferous find to reignite my enthusiasm....'positive reinforcement' I think it's called :)
    Bogof_Babe wrote: »

Well done on the cat tactics Miro - hope he will be a very contented puss now in his new bed.

Albert still refuses to use his new bed in my presence. :( However, last thing at night I make sure Ratty is ensconced in there, along with a few Dreamies and, strangely, the Dreamies have disappeared by morning, Ratty is the other side of the room covered in slobber and the thin layer of orange cat hair has got a little thicker in the bed. Very odd. ;) I will need to use the Sellotape shortly.
    Miro! Where was this splendiferous soap? As we're away to Colne tomorrow & if I think there's a chance, I'll upend every cs in the county... If it smelt 'prettier', I might hope to find blocks as houses were cleared but I'm beginning to [reluctantly] accept the harsh realities.

Twas in the community chazza in a place called Meanwood on the outskirts of Leeds. They had all sorts of the 'older' types of soaps (e.g. Pears, Knights Castile, Yardley's English Lavender)....looked as if someone had done a spot of bulk buying!! It was selling fast tho, especially the larger sizes.
  • Miró
    With all these charity shop bargains, do you find you have far more than you need or want? Bordering on hoarding proportions?

It is an addiction for me I admit....but hey ho....there are worse things to be addicted to and at least a charity benefits. I would feel worse buying loads of stuff from proper shops. Like Pollycat I feel as if I am just borrowing stuff temporarily as I do regularly have a clear out and re-donate. I can still see the floor tho and make my way to the cooker! The wardrobes and cupboards are a bit rammed tho at the mo. :o
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Mir! wrote: »
    From the sublime to the ridiculous today...

Had to go into the city to do a survey at our posh new John Lewis this morning so I had a chance to have a bit of a nosy round. Lovely shop but the prices!!!!:eek: I'm not very good at the undercover stuff, secretly taking photos and talking on video in various departments. I fully expected a hand on the shoulder with 'would Modom accompany me to the security office'. Anyhoo I got away with it, I think!

Then got the bus to my usual haunts....the local chazza shops. :) First off I found a longish black chiffon smocky top with long sleeves and a subtly jewelled neckline by Christelle (Greek company) for £2. Then I spotted a white linen skirt by Pomodoro with dark purple stylised flowers on, fully lined and with a 'flippy' hem, £3.75. Just as I was leaving I decided to try on a pair of Finn Karelia (Finnish make) trousers in a camel shade not expecting them to fit or look remotely good. They had a partly elasticated high waist and were a slim fit. Ooooh aren't trousers that actually fit into your waist comfy??? I had quite forgotten!!! So I ended up buying them for £1.75. Then finally in the bric a brac they had a big basket of new soaps so I ended up with 2 bath size bars of Cussons Imperial Leather for 15p each.

I know what you mean about the trousers, DD wears high waisted ones all the time and I recently bought a pair and it feels like I am in the trousers rather than spilling out over the top of them, very comfy.

Absolutely yes, it's crazy. I am like a woollens rehoming centre, I just need to get charity status and then I will be able to pay myself a salary for running it.

2 x dinosaurs to go in my Zebra childs dinosaur garden 50p each (worth gazillions more to him, bless him) and a cup for me that has oat and milk measures inside to make porridge for 1 in the microwave and as I am certainly part bear I LOVE PORRIDGE so that's another £1 well spent!

I'm the same with porridge, I would happily eat it for 3 meals a day, I will be on the look out for one of those cups now.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Mir! wrote: »
    If you are anything like me, when I start to lose heart after a couple of fruitless weeks, all it takes is one splendiferous find to reignite my enthusiasm....'positive reinforcement' I think it's called

I think my psych tutor called it the Vegas Effect as "variable ratio reinforcement schedules" whilst correct and harking straight back to Skinner, his rats & Operant Conditioning (ulp, but effective!) took a while to say & write whereas even the most insular students had (soon) heard of Vegas & (more importantly) could spell it.

Plus, (side order of neurochemistry alert), it's the wanting more than the liking that boosts dopamine production. It's released more often in anticipation that something might happen. Chemically you have more fun on cs the doorstep than you do holding your finds at the till. (I have absolutely no intention of letting a med student chase me with needles to test this, but if they wanted to demonstrate it with an ECG, blood pressure monitor & assorted boxes of Denby, they could sell tickets, So Long as I Kept The Denby.)

Finally (sorry, son doing exams recalled this from QI) you are likely to do better in exams if you have been chewing shortly before. Enhanced "mastication-induced arousal" is a Genuine Medical Thing, so if anyone wants to try a chewy mint (gum if you absolutely must) then cs hunting, I'd be intrigued to know.

We're not hoarders, as such. We're just driven by conditioning & arousal & other things not wholly within our control...
  • Towser
    Towser Posts: 1,303 Forumite
    Oh dear, ladies.
    I fear I've lost my mojo.
    Had a very tentative walk around town today.
    4 charity shops and saw nothing that I'd even donate, let alone buy.
    Maybe I'm a lost cause.

Yup sounds like me at this time of year. Therefore, do you think when the carboot sales start up, is there less stock (the good stuff) going to the chazzers? or do the demographics not affect it. What do you think?

We're not hoarders, as such. We're just driven by conditioning & arousal & other things not wholly within our control...

Yup sounds like me, thank goodness I am not a hoarder then. The house is still functional just a little full.

Originally Posted by Mir! View Post
    If you are anything like me, when I start to lose heart after a couple of fruitless weeks, all it takes is one splendiferous find to reignite my enthusiasm....'positive reinforcement' I think it's called

Yup sounds like me, too.
  • Miró
    I think my psych tutor called it the Vegas Effect as "variable ratio reinforcement schedules" whilst correct and harking straight back to Skinner, his rats & Operant Conditioning (ulp, but effective!) took a while to say & write whereas even the most insular students had (soon) heard of Vegas & (more importantly) could spell it.

Plus, (side order of neurochemistry alert), it's the wanting more than the liking that boosts dopamine production. It's released more often in anticipation that something might happen. Chemically you have more fun on cs the doorstep than you do holding your finds at the till. (I have absolutely no intention of letting a med student chase me with needles to test this, but if they wanted to demonstrate it with an ECG, blood pressure monitor & assorted boxes of Denby, they could sell tickets, So Long as I Kept The Denby.)

Finally (sorry, son doing exams recalled this from QI) you are likely to do better in exams if you have been chewing shortly before. Enhanced "mastication-induced arousal" is a Genuine Medical Thing, so if anyone wants to try a chewy mint (gum if you absolutely must) then cs hunting, I'd be intrigued to know.

Somebody somewhere must have written a thesis on 'Intermittent Positive Reinforcement/Vegas Effect and charity shop shopping' :rotfl:
  • Pollycat
    Yup sounds like me at this time of year. Therefore, do you think when the carboot sales start up, is there less stock (the good stuff) going to the chazzers? or do the demographics not affect it. What do you think?
    As I posted earlier:
    Pollycat wrote: »
    I've only just started venturing out after 10 weeks of enforced feet up.
    so I think in all honesty, it was a half-hearted look rather than a serious 'I hope I find something nice'.

In previous years I'm pretty sure that start up of car boots hasn't had much effect on stock - or at least I've never noticed.
    I do think ebay has something to do with it.
    I'd guess that some shops might well list the higher end donated goods on there.

I started listing some of the stuff I would normally take to the hospice shop on ebay towards the end of last year and have just started listing again.
    I list for a week, let it run for 4 listings and if it's not sold by then, off to the hospice shop it goes.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I couldn’t possibly be a hoarder. I’ve Walked Away from a Greenwheat teapot £4, a Whisper teapot £5 & a Dauphine coffee pot at £8 & am feeling shocked but virtuous. It can’t last!
    Did get a Langley brown coffee pot for a pound. Having walked past a dozen geeenwheat bowls & 2 butter dishes (I really am not a fan even if more discriminating collectors are!) and a Langley Lucerne teapot cups & saucers intrigue - for £12!
    Turned my back on more baroque - well £25 for 6 cups 5 saucers milk & sugar... (Denby galore in Skipton, just not at Aquiz Committee rates! I’m spoiled.)

Eyeballed a scarab occult terminator & thought I’d stick to the council as needed. (These warhammer models are fearsome pricey!)

Two foot by 18” square wooden trunk for £15 - beautifully dovetailed & hinged & with a neat catch & useful handles. Likely we’ll get the paint off then cosset the wood - pale but fine grained, not pine...

Now to go get the groceries as visiting Ma-in-law next 2 days... one son charmed as he hates charity shops & car boots as knows he’ll end up as pack animal & hasn’t mastered picking out his CDs...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure