PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!

Comments

• DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    A fourth voice upraised for bandage a hand in sello the sticky side out & then, once all is clean & lovely again, concealing this comfortable new bed from Sam by engulfing coat in suitable garment cover/suit protector, on a hanger, in a closed cupboard.

Is Sam an all-time champion shredder or just seriously discriminating in his targets?!
    Mrs_Ryan wrote: »
    *cough* supportive underwear on (Spanx and a decent bra)
    Love this! How many of our best outfits are best largely due to the *cough* supportive underwear?! Plus seriously gorgeous shoes...
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,893 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    From the sublime to the ridiculous today...

Had to go into the city to do a survey at our posh new John Lewis this morning so I had a chance to have a bit of a nosy round. Lovely shop but the prices!!!!:eek: I'm not very good at the undercover stuff, secretly taking photos and talking on video in various departments. I fully expected a hand on the shoulder with 'would Modom accompany me to the security office'. Anyhoo I got away with it, I think!

Then got the bus to my usual haunts....the local chazza shops. :) First off I found a longish black chiffon smocky top with long sleeves and a subtly jewelled neckline by Christelle (Greek company) for £2. Then I spotted a white linen skirt by Pomodoro with dark purple stylised flowers on, fully lined and with a 'flippy' hem, £3.75. Just as I was leaving I decided to try on a pair of Finn Karelia (Finnish make) trousers in a camel shade not expecting them to fit or look remotely good. They had a partly elasticated high waist and were a slim fit. Ooooh aren't trousers that actually fit into your waist comfy??? I had quite forgotten!!! So I ended up buying them for £1.75. Then finally in the bric a brac they had a big basket of new soaps so I ended up with 2 bath size bars of Cussons Imperial Leather for 15p each.
  • DigForVictory
    edited 24 May 2019 at 3:25PM
    You found Bath size bars of Imperial Leather? Goes Kermit Green with envy - we didn't hear they were planning to discontinue the size & so have stacks of small bits. The young chaps of the house are simply not bothering trying to use a bit of soap you rather have to coerce into cleaning. When we get over 40 bits I am going to try to heat and compress them into a solid bar, but that's about another 3 weeks away, plus a research project.

As for John Lewis letting you wander around - if they think you might spend money they'll let you do almost anything, and these days not babbling into a mobile suggests you might be one of their vintage customers! I hope it was amusing & that you get paid promptly.

Laredouter, how's the coat & the cat?!
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,893 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You found Bath size bars of Imperial Leather? Goes Kermit Green with envy - we didn't hear they were planning to discontinue the size......

I didn't realise they were discontinued either...that explains why I couldn't find them to check the price on MySupermarket! I might have to dash back tomorrow cos they had loads of them left.
  • Towser
    Towser Posts: 1,303 Forumite
    With all these charity shop bargains, do you find you have far more than you need or want? Bordering on hoarding proportions?
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    i wanted a couple of little dishes to feed a cat we seem to have adopted..i looked in the hospice shop and found a portmerion sweet dish in botanical garden heartease for 10p...well im having that and kitty got 2 blue saucers
    onwards and upwards
  • 2 x dinosaurs to go in my Zebra childs dinosaur garden 50p each (worth gazillions more to him, bless him) and a cup for me that has oat and milk measures inside to make porridge for 1 in the microwave and as I am certainly part bear I LOVE PORRIDGE so that's another £1 well spent!
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Oh, Albert! It'll all be all right in the end but every cat needs his rat...
    My much missed old boy certainly did.
    But his were the real fur-n-claws type.
    Think lion dragging antelope home and substitute cat and rat. :eek:

Oh dear, ladies.
    I fear I've lost my mojo. :(
    Had a very tentative walk around town today.
    4 charity shops and saw nothing that I'd even donate, let alone buy.
    Maybe I'm a lost cause.
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Nah, you're just chazzered out for a bit. I am the same, and also it does seem that recently there's nothing on the shelves but rows of unwanted ornaments - some of them really naff, some quite nice, but who needs ornaments these days? As for clothes, I have more than enough to see me out.

I've been on one of my mini trips, and had a blitz in Scotland - Stirling, Falkirk, Bridge of Allan and Dunblane, over the last two days... the only things I bought were two cotton round necked teeshirts for £1 each, one navy and one "dark lilac". I didn't need them but would have regretted not buying them, and I had to bring something home!

Well done on the cat tactics Miro - hope he will be a very contented puss now in his new bed.
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• DigForVictory
    Towser wrote: »
    Bordering on hoarding proportions?
    Well, my Great Wall of China (Denby) didn't get the nickname by accident. I do deny hoarding - some bits were inherited & the Imperial Blue bought for domestic use (at the time, my hope chest) but the hunt & acquiz bit - well to the uninitiated it could look like hoarding. Just access to doors & windows remain clear. So far. Much.
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Oh dear, ladies.
    I fear I've lost my mojo.
    Say it ain't so - much more you've sharpened your judgement & the current chazzer fodder is just not up to scratch. Plus the medics haven't finished with you so can you honestly give All your attention to the hunt?

Miro! Where was this splendiferous soap? As we're away to Colne tomorrow & if I think there's a chance, I'll upend every cs in the county... If it smelt 'prettier', I might hope to find blocks as houses were cleared but I'm beginning to [reluctantly] accept the harsh realities.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure