Have you ever been upgraded on a flight? Poll results/discussion

Options
Poll Started 2 June 2008:

Have you ever been upgraded on a flight?

It’s the holy grail of all travellers to hear those glorious words “we’re upgrading you" - yet how often does it really happen? Have you ever been upgraded from economy to premium economy, business, or even first class?

Which of these is closest to your experience?

Never/rarely fly - 19% (1701 votes)
I fly enough, but never been upgraded - 50% (4379 votes)
Been upgraded once - without asking - 19% (1652 votes)
Been upgraded once – we asked - 4% (374 votes)
Been upgraded once – as compensation for not going on overbooked flight - 4% (312 votes)
Get upgraded regularly - 4% (388 votes)

Voting has now closed, but you can still click 'post reply' to discuss below. :)

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• sdooley
    sdooley Posts: 918 Forumite
    Options
    Another option - fly only on budget airlines...
  • Tojo_Ralph
    Tojo_Ralph Posts: 8,373 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It’s the holy grail of all travellers to hear those glorious words “we’re upgrading you" - yet how often does it really happen? Have you ever been upgraded from economy to premium economy, business, or even first class?

And just how are the poll results going to answer the question? :confused:

Never/rarely fly....
    So that's zero upgrades out of near zero flights.

I fly enough, but never been upgraded....
    So that's zero upgrades out of an unknown quantity of flights.

Been upgraded once - without asking....
    So that's one upgrade out of an unknown quantity of flights.

Been upgraded once – we asked....
    So that's one upgrade out of an unknown quantity of flights.

Been upgraded once – as compensation for not going on overbooked flight.
    So that's one upgrade for a specific reason out of an unknown quantity of flights.

Been upgraded more than once.... (Had it been included)
    So that's an unknown quantity of upgrades out of an an unknown quantity of flights.

Get upgraded regularly....
    So that's an unknown quantity of upgrades out of an an unknown quantity of flights.

So how often do upgrades actually occur? :confused:
    The MSE Dictionary
    Loophole - A word used to entice people to read clearly written Terms and Conditions.
    Rip Off - Clearly written Terms and Conditions.
    Terms and Conditions - Otherwise known as a loophole or a rip off.
  • t_fairy
    t_fairy Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    I have recently been upgraded for the first time in my flying career!
    My family have lived in various countries so I have probably flown long haul about 30 times in my life, and on a recent work trip to NY I got upgraded on my outbound flight from economy to premium economy.
    3 of my colleagues were also on the same flight and they all got upgraded too, and the only thing we have in common is that we hold Virgin Silver cards, and as far as Virgin knew, we were individual passengers.
    I think from my understanding they had overbooked economy and had upgraded their "loyal" customers.
  • Plum_Pie
    Plum_Pie Posts: 1,285 Forumite
    Options
    I make 1 round trip by plane per year have been upgraded once, in 2005.

I'd bought a bargain flight from London to Shanghai via Travelocity, economy class in Air France and arrived very late for my return flight (I was flying in the evening and beer is very cheap in China :o). I was in a right state as I thought I might have to buy a second ticket. (I'm not a very experienced traveller!) The AF staff member didn't bat an eye and just said 'There's no room on the flight you booked, so we will put you in business class on the next flight'. Result!

(Apart from waking up half way across Russia with a storming hangover and thinking I had SARS.)
  • bunking_off
    bunking_off Posts: 1,264 Forumite
    Options
    Off the top of my head, been upgraded about half a dozen times.

Used to have a BA silver card. Flew about 10-15 times a year, mainly in Europe.

...we both got upgraded on a return from Paris after my getting down on one knee for the (then future) missus. Didn't ask for an upgrade, it was either happy co-incidence or they spotted I was travelling on leisure for once.

...we both got upgraded from premium economy to business both ways on the honeymoon, after I mentioned the purpose of the trip.

I did once manage to act as a complete numpty on a flight back from Japan. Had been out on the pop the night before, had a thick head, and when told at the gate they were having to move me I objected as I wanted to chat with my mate on the way back. It was only when I looked carefully at the tickets I realised I'd turned down an upgrade from business to first...D'oh!

Times have changed now & I don't fly much. However, given the choice of constant flying and the odd upgrade versus flight once in a blue moon and no upgrade, I'll take the latter anytime. The current BMI advert is truer than you can possibly believe...
    I really must stop loafing and get back to work...
  • pkempc
    pkempc Posts: 125 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Only once - flying with Virgin Atlantic & returning from a military exercise in SoCal six of us were upgraded from cattle straight into Upper! :beer:

Lie flat beds, edible food, unlimited free bar, massage & some rather posh socks which I've still got. Almost as good as kipping in a hammock in the back of a 'fat albert'!

It's good to know that Richard Branson appreciates the forces even if HMG doesn't.:T
    Assume 1st – then check the facts!
  • frugalpam
    frugalpam Posts: 2,514 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've been upgraded once - without asking :j I'd flown from Manchester to Atlanta cattle class, but was offered a free upgrade from Atlanta to Tucson, to business class. It was HEAVEN to be able to lie flat and sleep - but by doing so I missed out on the free drinks, good food etc :rotfl:

On the Manchester to Atlanta leg of the journey though - a guy came up (who was in Business Class) and was chatting to the guy sitting next to me. Turned out they were long lost buddies. He asked me if I wanted to swap seats - free exchange for me to travel the 9 hour flight business class. The air steward wouldn't let us do the exchange as it said it was 'against health and safety policy' :confused: :mad:
  • Maisie
    Maisie Posts: 1,343 Forumite
    Options
    We were upgraded to business class on a flight Heathrow/Los Angeles.

We had checked in and waiting for the flight when an announcement came over the speakers asking us to report to the desk.
    Were most surprised when they asked if we wanted to go business class.
  • Rtype
    Rtype Posts: 101 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I get upgraded on every flight, but thats only because my other half is cabin crew :D
    She says that it happens very rarely and the only time it does is when the airline have made a mistake or the cabin crew have an extraordinary reason i.e. honeymoon etc..
    Nice to save.
  • whowants2brich
    Options
    I once flew across Australia with Quantus, my parents were in business and I was in economy. I checked in with my parents, in the business check-in desk, yet they didn't even think of upgrading me at all, she happily checked me in for cattle class.

We then found out that my parents were the only people in the business class part of the flight, so the cabin crew let me go up and sit there for a few minutes to talk to them... rather than being at the back on my own. Still, didn't get any of the food/drink...

I've never been upgraded, though have a honeymoon to get through next year so we shall see how all that goes!
    Having fun trying to save money without going over the top and living on budget food all the time...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure