PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Two)

In view of the issue of longer threads being auto-deleted I thought wise to start a shiny new thread as we had got to over 5.5K posts.:)
The original "Cooking for one" thread can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5585796

13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Good plan Batman.

I had the chicken curry I made 2 days ago, so that's it, all gone, eaten in 3 portions over 3 days. Served this exactly the same as the last two portions, with long grain rice. It was fine... probably better than a ready meal and better than a lot of cheap pub meals, both of which tend to be a bit "claggy".

Popped out earlier to stock up on the compulsory choc ices....

So annoying when you're in a supermarket for one item and have the right money in your hand ...and the person in front of you has a LOT of stuff (£45's worth) and packs VERY slowly ... and doesn't have their payment method to hand at all... and still carries on packing ... and dithering.

:)

I even beat him to the door to get out!
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,083 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Good evening everyone,
    It's been a lovely afternoon most of which I spent lazing in the sunshine with a little bit of gardening chucked in so I didn't feel completely idle.

A cheeky wasp is trying to build a nest in my hose casing:mad: - I've filled any gaps with nest destroyer so fingers crossed.

I had one of my HM frozen mango yoghurts it was tasty but I think it would have worked better as a lolly as it was pretty solid so hard to get out of the dish.

Still going with the quiche and something option for dinner later:).
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I now feel qualified to join you. My house is on the market, my family, who have been living in it for the last 5 years have moved out and for the first time in my long life I am living alone. Until the house is sold and I am installed in a very suitable bungalow, I am Not only learning to live alone but am doing it on a state pension. Of course I can do it but there won't be one spare penny.
    Fortunately I am also determined to lose some more weight so will only be eating two meals a day, breakfast and lunch. I never mind eating the same meal several times and am fairly traditional in my tastes.
    All my life I have cooked for family and friends and also for various church functions. Cooking for 70 I take in my stride. Cooking for one is interesting.

This hot weather I have been living on salad, which I love.

I also have no stock cupboard so am starting from scratch.

I'm loving being on my own and am happy to be joining in the second edition of this thread.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • caronc
    monnagran wrote: »
    I now feel qualified to join you. My house is on the market, my family, who have been living in it for the last 5 years have moved out and for the first time in my long life I am living alone. Until the house is sold and I am installed in a very suitable bungalow, I am Not only learning to live alone but am doing it on a state pension. Of course I can do it but there won't be one spare penny.
    Fortunately I am also determined to lose some more weight so will only be eating two meals a day, breakfast and lunch. I never mind eating the same meal several times and am fairly traditional in my tastes.
    All my life I have cooked for family and friends and also for various church functions. Cooking for 70 I take in my stride. Cooking for one is interesting.

I'm loving being on my own and am happy to be joining in the second edition of this thread.
    Welcome monnagran:) - like you I find cooking for many a skoosh but I do find cooking for one more challenging. How nice to have a completely fresh start, though I'd be twitchy without my stock cupboard especially my herbs & spices.
  • As I said on the "Where've the two missing threads gone?" thread on Old Style - the longest-running thread I could think of straight off on the Forum as a whole is:

- "The 'have a look at this' thread II" on the Housebuying sub-forum.

- It started 5 August 2011.

- Right at this moment - it has 1094 pages and is up to post 21,869.

So there's summat more going on than "auto deletion" imo.

But it's just as well to have a Mark 2 version of this thread - so there's no excuse for "losing" this one too.:T

Anyways - I've just finished dinner for the day. It was rather belatedly. Reason being that I had 4 (!!!) minor emergencies at once of the household variety. One involving calling in a plumber - who, at least, was with me about an hour later and dealt with that aspect of it (ie water going everywhere).

I could have done with A.N. Other around - and we could have divvied them up between us. But, as it was just me having to cope with the lot and a **** spam phone-caller added to it by ringing up to spam me in the middle of it (phone answered in case it was plumber) - then I did my version of "cope with the lot at once" and have a mental picture of myself in a revolving gun turret in a tank and firing at this problem and firing at that problem and so on. Fortunately - I go into "fire at all angles quick sharp" mode if these multi-emergency situations happen and I just keep "shooting" until they're all lying on ground dead/resolved.:rotfl:

Whew! - and hence dinner was later than planned and was pretty much as planned (and that cashew cheese was indeed nice) - but it was accompanied by me rewarding myself for the "shooting gallery episode" by accompanying it with a bottle of craft beer:rotfl:
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Funny you should say that caronc, the one thing I do have is an odd selection of herbs and spices. Probably not very useful but it is a start!
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • caronc
    As I said on the "Where've the two missing threads gone?" thread on Old Style - the longest-running thread I could think of straight off on the Forum as a whole is:

- "The 'have a look at this' thread II" on the Housebuying sub-forum.

- It started 5 August 2011.

- Right at this moment - it has 1094 pages and is up to post 21,869.

So there's summat more going on than "auto deletion" imo.

But it's just as well to have a Mark 2 version of this thread - so there's no excuse for "losing" this one too.:T

Anyways - I've just finished dinner for the day. It was rather belatedly. Reason being that I had 4 (!!!) minor emergencies at once of the household variety. One involving calling in a plumber - who, at least, was with me about an hour later and dealt with that aspect of it (ie water going everywhere).

I could have done with A.N. Other around - and we could have divvied them up between us. But, as it was just me having to cope with the lot and a **** spam phone-caller added to it by ringing up to spam me in the middle of it (phone answered in case it was plumber) - then I did my version of "cope with the lot at once" and have a mental picture of myself in a revolving gun turret in a tank and firing at this problem and firing at that problem and so on. Fortunately - I go into "fire at all angles quick sharp" mode if these multi-emergency situations happen and I just keep "shooting" until they're all lying on ground dead/resolved.:rotfl:

Whew! - and hence dinner was later than planned and was pretty much as planned (and that cashew cheese was indeed nice) - but it was accompanied by me rewarding myself for the "shooting gallery episode" by accompanying it with a bottle of craft beer:rotfl:
    Whoops cross posted on the "missing threads" thread :o, glad you found us:D, sounds as though your beer was well deserved ;)
  • caronc
    Funny you should say that caronc, the one thing I do have is an odd selection of herbs and spices. Probably not very useful but it is a start!
    Phew...... :D I'd hate to think how much it would cost me to start my herb/spice collection from scratch again and I do use them so they're not just festering in the cupboard:cool:
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    caron It might be an idea to PM a BG to close/lock the old thread....just in case ;).

I too don't buy the auto deletion thing, but that's just my [STRIKE]cynical[/STRIKE] questioning nature coming in to play :o:p
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post

Welcome aboard Monna :)
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills