I want to stop drowning

Comments

• Glad to hear you sounding more positive and probably best to focus on small goals at the moment rather than the big what seems unsurmountable goal of getting out of debt completely and then a house.

I personally would find it more rewarding I think to pick a card and aim to clear it or get it below a certain amount but if your aim of getting below £40k in total works then go for it.

It sounds like you are doing as much as you can to reduce the food spends and you have a teenager don't you so that is really three adults and two small ones. £85 sounds like a lot and I shop in Lidls and our food spend is £50 roughly with just 2 adults so I am not sure you are doing as bad as you think you are. I don't overly watch the spend though as we can easily afford it. I think I could bring it down to around £30-£40 if needed. Do your family snack lots?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • debtaghh
    debtaghh Posts: 1,794
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Glad to hear you sounding more positive and probably best to focus on small goals at the moment rather than the big what seems unsurmountable goal of getting out of debt completely and then a house.

I personally would find it more rewarding I think to pick a card and aim to clear it or get it below a certain amount but if your aim of getting below £40k in total works then go for it.

It sounds like you are doing as much as you can to reduce the food spends and you have a teenager don't you so that is really three adults and two small ones. £85 sounds like a lot and I shop in Lidls and our food spend is £50 roughly with just 2 adults so I am not sure you are doing as bad as you think you are. I don't overly watch the spend though as we can easily afford it. I think I could bring it down to around £30-£40 if needed. Do your family snack lots?

Thanks. I'm aiming to at least get rid of the bc out of the under 40k challenge.
    Snacking is a major issue, the culprits are my teenager and dh, an hour after dinner they are looking for food again!
  • debtaghh wrote: »
    Thanks. I'm aiming to at least get rid of the bc out of the under 40k challenge.
    Snacking is a major issue, the culprits are my teenager and dh, an hour after dinner they are looking for food again!

My DH is the same. If I lived alone I would not buy snacky bits, just fruit. He is always looking for biscuits, cake, crisps or as a last resort cereal or toast. All you can really do is buy the cheapest snacks you can and maybe increase the carbohydrates to fill them up more at mealtime. Do either of them need to lose weight?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • debtaghh
    Forumite
    My DH is the same. If I lived alone I would not buy snacky bits, just fruit. He is always looking for biscuits, cake, crisps or as a last resort cereal or toast. All you can really do is buy the cheapest snacks you can and maybe increase the carbohydrates to fill them up more at mealtime. Do either of them need to lose weight?

They are both quite slim. I have a several packs of biscuits at the minute (about 8 packs) I might say that has to last x amount of time. I need to bake more as well as I have the basic ingredients so could make scones, fairy cakes etc. We go through several bags of crisps as well.
  • debtaghh
    Forumite
    Hi,

I can't sleep due to neck and back ache 😖

I made a small sale so will transfer that and make a payment. I went through my meal plan last night and am going to work out how much I can survive on for fd shops before dh next pay day.

Today I need to do:

Dusting
    Hoovering
    Washing
    Make small payment
    Work out how much food money I need
    Re look at next pay days budget as it's currently has a shortfall of over £200
    Order friend's bday present
    Log bdays for this month on phone

Have a lovely day everyone.
  • Hope you managed to get some sleep.

You're doing great with the payments and I'm sure you'll be able to hit your goal.

You look like you've a busy day today, make sure you don't over do it.
  • debtaghh
    Forumite
    Hope you managed to get some sleep.

You're doing great with the payments and I'm sure you'll be able to hit your goal.

You look like you've a busy day today, make sure you don't over do it.

Thanks, I got a bit more sleep but am now shattered!

I hope I do achieve my goal as think it will give me more encouragement for future goals.

I'm slightly concerned about the cost of Christmas and my dd special birthday (ish). I have lots of ideas but really would like to stick to my budget but can feel it going out of control.
  • Don't go overboard with your daughters birthday and break your budget when you are doing so well. A well thought out present and a celebration with family or friends is sufficient I have always found. Is she 16?
  • debtaghh
    Forumite
    Don't go overboard with your daughters birthday and break your budget when you are doing so well. A well thought out present and a celebration with family or friends is sufficient I have always found. Is she 16?

Yes she will be and she makes out that her friends have parties and loads of big presents etc :eek:
  • debtaghh wrote: »
    Yes she will be and she makes out that her friends have parties and loads of big presents etc :eek:

No doubt some of them do but there is no saying whether parents get into debt for it or if they can actually afford it.

Getting your daughter used to expecting material goods/expensive parties when you can't afford it leads to misery for you when you have to juggle money and gives the message to her that spending regardless is ok.

There are so many on this forum who either never managed to master budgeting in young adulthood because their parents never said no to them or they came from wealthy families who did not set boundaries and led to expectations of lifestyles they now cannot afford.

It is not a good message to give children that there is limitless money around. Set a good example to her so her life will not be controlled by debt as yours is at the moment.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback