moving in with pregnant girlfreind that doesnt work

need some help im 22 and my girlfriend is priganant with our first child we are wanting to move in together she doesnt work and is claiming jobseekers allowance where i work bringing in around 13 thousand a year just wondered what i will have to pay or the help we can get

Comments

• Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    need some help im 22 and my girlfriend is priganant with our first child we are wanting to move in together she doesnt work and is claiming jobseekers allowance where i work bringing in around 13 thousand a year just wondered what i will have to pay or the help we can get

According to research from insurer LV=, it costs £218k to raise a child from birth until they are 21.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2012/jan/26/cost-raising-child-rises-218000

Maybe both your parents, the childs grandparents, will chip in a some to help? :)
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,827
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Forumite
    Is the JSA income or contribution based as if income based and you earn over £111 per week she won't be eligible any more.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,533
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    First, identify the LHA in your area (one bedroom rate)
    then try the turn2us benefits calculator to see if you would qualify for any housing benefit
    If your partner is receiving income based JSA, this will cease

Once baby arrives, housing benefit based on 2 bedroom rate, child benefit, child tax credits, working tax credits (again use benefits calculator for a guide)
  • CAB_Wyre_Forest_representative
    CAB_Wyre_Forest_representative Posts: 117 Organisation Representative
    Hello jamesey 1990

As a parent you would be entitled to tax credits and also possibly some help with rent and council tax. www.turn2us.org.uk will let you check your benefit entitlement.

You do not say if you have a property already but the advice about the LHA is important as you can only claim Housing Benefit on a property that is suitable. if you rented a three bed property then the Housing Benefit would only be paid on a one bed property
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure