Filing bankruptcy and overseas bank accounts.

Hello again guys,

This is probably a very simple question - but once a bankruptcy has been filed, is it possible for them to freeze any international accounts in addition to my UK accounts? I ask because I also have a bank account here in Costa Rica and one in Australia (even though they both have nothing more than £20 in them). If they are also to be frozen during the bankruptcy, I will need to make alternative arrangements.

Thank you in advance...

Ian

Comments

• Richard_S
    Richard_S Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    Hi Ian,

The Insolvency Service has various agreements with other countries regarding bankruptcy, but to the best of my knowledge that only relates to the disposal of assets, and is predominantly with European countries.

I would say the chances of your accounts being frozen in another country to be somewhere between negligible and nil. They even manage to miss bank accounts held by bankrupts in this country.

Richard
  • ian360
    ian360 Posts: 68 Forumite
    Thanks for responding. In addition, do you know if they will also freeze my online PayPal account?

Thank you.
  • Richard_S
    Richard_S Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    ian360 wrote: »
    Thanks for responding. In addition, do you know if they will also freeze my online PayPal account?

Thank you.

Hi ian,

I would doubt whether there's any money in your PayPal account.;) ;)

Ebay and Paypal are very strict about their customer's privacy and you have to give the O.R permission to see the details of your account. It's not the O.R who freezes bank accounts, it's the bank, and I would very much doubt whether PayPal would freeze your account unless there was evidence of fraud.

I don't recall any body else saying that their PayPal account had been frozen, and there are a number of posters on here who use Ebay.

Richard
  • ian360
    ian360 Posts: 68 Forumite
    Ah that is good news, as most of my clients pay me on PayPal... And of course there is no money in it... :rolleyes:

Thanks for the advice guys...
  • What about if I have account in Singapore? Will they find out I own an account in Singapore?
  • diggingdude
    diggingdude Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    maybe create your own post rather than commenting on something from 10 years ago
    An answer isn't spam just because you don't like it......
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure