REMO-Reciprocal Enforcement of Maintenance Order

Comments

• Hi,
    I have just sent my initial form away to the REMO Unit yesterday.

I have a few questions tho...do I need to court order to progress with the Reno application?

My ex has never met his daughter, she was 12 in March just gone. Last time I saw him face to face I was 3 months pregnant. For this reason he isn!!!8217;t on her birth certificate. He has hidden from me for years, I have all the information I had on him to the job centre when my daughter was born and they said they couldn!!!8217;t find him.

He messaged me on Fb just before xmas just gone, apologising for not being part of her life etc, I am convinced he!!!8217;s only got in touch cos he thinks I can!!!8217;t claim what he is due my daughter.

Has anyone had luck with remo application to Poland?? I am in the uk.

Thanks
  • CakeCrusader
    CakeCrusader Posts: 1,118 Forumite
    Hi,
    I have just sent my initial form away to the REMO Unit yesterday.

I have a few questions tho...do I need to court order to progress with the Reno application?

My ex has never met his daughter, she was 12 in March just gone. Last time I saw him face to face I was 3 months pregnant. For this reason he isn!!!8217;t on her birth certificate. He has hidden from me for years, I have all the information I had on him to the job centre when my daughter was born and they said they couldn!!!8217;t find him.

He messaged me on Fb just before xmas just gone, apologising for not being part of her life etc, I am convinced he!!!8217;s only got in touch cos he thinks I can!!!8217;t claim what he is due my daughter.

Has anyone had luck with remo application to Poland?? I am in the uk.

Thanks

Hi :) You do need a court awarded maintenance order, the REMO unit can advise you on this (basically they will will send him the forms, he fills them in to state what his income is etc. If he hires a solicitor here, you will be sent copies of his income details/bank statements etc. You will receive a court date, and you just have to attend and let them know the amount that you think is appropriate (you can ask for the amount that the CSA would award). You can ask them to backdate the order, but it can only be backdated to the date when you filled the REMO. You'll be sent a copy, as will your ex. You will then need to apply to get the order enforced in Poland. ^If^ your ex is a reasonable bloke you might not need to do this, you can make arrangements for him to pay you directly. It's advisable to get this enforced though, especially when you take his previous behavior into account.

It doesn't matter whether he's on the birth certificate or not, he's accepted that he's the father. I haven't dealt with Poland, but generally it's a really slow process.

Hope this helps!
  • Steph1988
    Steph1988 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 16 November 2018 at 11:22AM
    Hi everyone.

I debated on whether to share my story (My story to date haha) having read all the posts but thought I might as well and congratulations to all of you that have had success with this so far.

Bit of background, my Daughter:heart2: was born in 2016, my ex-partner had been working & travelling around Canada during my pregnancy and returned when she was born but decided that he was returning back there (Returned April last year) and has since welcomed a second child. I had no financial support from him leading up to her birth and since her birth he had been paying maintenance, lets say "in blocks" (2 months in a row, then nothing for 4 months etc) with the amounts varying, so I'm now proceeding with REMO.

I filed my application back in January of this year. (Should have done it the moment he left I know!) and have a Court date set in the next few weeks. Completely unfamiliar with this whole process but judging by some of your posts, I have an idea now of what will happen. Anyway, I will be posting updates on how this goes :) and good luck to anyone else going through this process!!
  • Tallulah_loves_hula
    Tallulah_loves_hula Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 23 January 2019 at 4:15PM
    REMO SPAIN
    I have just come across this thread. Wow after feeling like I am the only one going through REMO and not getting anywhere it was a relief to feel connected albeit in such a frustrating system. I applied in 2013 through REMO to Spain where my daughters "father" lives but I am still getting nowhere it seems. Ive not had a penny from him and have no address. I asked for an update yesterday via email and I was told that my case is waiting to be listed for the next available hearing date. Does anyone know what that means and has had any experience of the Spanish Courts? I have asked for an explanation. I am also going to get in touch with my MEP to see if they can help. xx
  • CakeCrusader
    edited 30 January 2019 at 7:59PM
    wrote: »
    REMO SPAIN
    I have just come across this thread. Wow after feeling like I am the only one going through REMO and not getting anywhere it was a relief to feel connected albeit in such a frustrating system. I applied in 2013 through REMO to Spain where my daughters "father" lives but I am still getting nowhere it seems. Ive not had a penny from him and have no address. I asked for an update yesterday via email and I was told that my case is waiting to be listed for the next available hearing date. Does anyone know what that means and has had any experience of the Spanish Courts? I have asked for an explanation. I am also going to get in touch with my MEP to see if they can help. xx

Hi. First of all can I suggest that you change your screen name? It's just so that you're not identifiable.

'Waiting to be listed' just means they are waiting for a court date so it sounds like things are going ahead. If the UK court hasn't given you an order yet then you're waiting for a court date in the UK (usually your local court) so they can make the order for you, you will then need to enforce it. Your MEP can't do anything about the time frame here I'm afraid.

I'm not sure how far along the process you are, but it's not a quick thing to do. Even sending a reply to a letter takes time. If you send documents to the Maintenance team here it takes them at least 6 weeks to open the envelope. The contents are then passed onto a legal advisor (more time's needed to do this), and they then write to you. If you write back it takes them another 6 weeks to open the envelope. You did really well to get a reply to your email right away, the max it's taken them to reply to me is 21 weeks.
  • Hi CakeCrusader. Thanks for your reply.
    I have now changed my profile name at your suggestion which I hadn't thought to do but thanks for the tip.
    I started the process 6 years ago so I know how slow it is. Im still a bit confused about a court hearing and whether this is in the UK or Spain. I'm assuming they still haven't made contact with my ex. I have competed many forms repetitively and given all evidence that I can. (including emails between us, photos, his buisness details ) I have even paid a Spanish Solicitor to gain more information regarding his current residency but she was only able to obtain an ID number for him. He doesn't have any land in his name which I thought was unusual. The Spanish Lawyer told me that Court papers can be delivered to his business address but the court are insisting they have his home address (which I cannot find)
    What do you mean by I would have to enforce it?
  • CakeCrusader
    Hi CakeCrusader. Thanks for your reply.
    I have now changed my profile name at your suggestion which I hadn't thought to do but thanks for the tip.
    I started the process 6 years ago so I know how slow it is. Im still a bit confused about a court hearing and whether this is in the UK or Spain. I'm assuming they still haven't made contact with my ex. I have competed many forms repetitively and given all evidence that I can. (including emails between us, photos, his buisness details ) I have even paid a Spanish Solicitor to gain more information regarding his current residency but she was only able to obtain an ID number for him. He doesn't have any land in his name which I thought was unusual. The Spanish Lawyer told me that Court papers can be delivered to his business address but the court are insisting they have his home address (which I cannot find)
    What do you mean by I would have to enforce it?

No problem, great screen name! :)

Right. It sounds like you don't have an order yet, your hearing will be in the UK as this is where you live. They may have made contact with him as they will need his income details in order to make an award. They can usually trace someone from ID numbers, they are a bit like a National Insurance number. There is a possibility that they haven't found him and are making an award in his absence though, but they really should let you know about this if this is the case.

The process;

1) You apply to the UK courts for a UK court order. They work with the Spanish authorities to trace him so that he can be served. He has to supply his income details. You are sent a date and a time to attend your local court, they will make the award there and then (they will need a weekish to type it up but it will be posted to you). You can ask for it to be backdated to the date when you first submitted the form (you need to ask them to do this), in your case it'll be 6 years ;) You'll need to do this at the hearing. This should be the only one you need to attend unless you or your ex ask for a variation, which you/he can't do for at least 12 months.

2) Once you have received the order through the post you'll need to enforce it. This just means that it's transmitted to the Spanish court so they can follow this up. You deal with the Maintenance Enforcement Team at Bury St Edmunds, there's more paperwork I'm afraid, some of which you've already filled in. You send it back to Bury St Edmunds with a copy of your maintenance certificate, they will send it across to the Spanish courts. The Spanish court will try to get the maintenance from him and will forward it onto the UK court who will pass it onto you, or he can pay it to you directly.

It founds like you're at the start of the first bit at the moment, you should receive a date and a time from your local court, you just need to attend. If your ex has hired legal representation you may receive his income details, and you can ask the UK court to make an award based on this. You can use the current CSA amount (the equivalent of what you'd receive if he still lived in the UK), the award may be higher if your child has additional needs but you'd need to show that he's able to pay a higher amount (tricky if you don't know what he's earning). If they haven't traced him they can just make an award, but it's going to be tricky to enforce it. It might be wise to try to find out if he's been located or not.

He may not have any land in his name, he might be married and it will be in the name of his spouse, or he may be renting (quite common in Europe).
  • jjj1980
    jjj1980 Posts: 577 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    CakeCrusader - you might want to delete the quote in your post on 25th Jan as it still shows Tallulah’s original name!
  • Dear Cake Crusader
    Thank you for explaining the process. I have been in the dark with it all and I'm very grateful for the information you have provided.
    I have just had a letter from the Courts with a date of the hearing. (In May) It says it will be by way of a TV video link. Does that mean my daughters father will be attending via this?
    He has always denied being the father so it is likely he will say this on the day? He is self employed too so Im not sure how the payment will be decided on. I did look at his companies earnings online and I know he earns a high amount but I imagine he may try and hide this if he can. Should I propose a figure bearing in mind my daughter is nearly 10 but I can only back date 6 years from the start of the application.
    Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
  • CakeCrusader
    Dear Cake Crusader
    Thank you for explaining the process. I have been in the dark with it all and I'm very grateful for the information you have provided.
    I have just had a letter from the Courts with a date of the hearing. (In May) It says it will be by way of a TV video link. Does that mean my daughters father will be attending via this?
    He has always denied being the father so it is likely he will say this on the day? He is self employed too so Im not sure how the payment will be decided on. I did look at his companies earnings online and I know he earns a high amount but I imagine he may try and hide this if he can. Should I propose a figure bearing in mind my daughter is nearly 10 but I can only back date 6 years from the start of the application.
    Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

No problem at all. A video link could mean that he's going to attend, yes. The court could request a DNA test if he's refusing paternity, but don't worry, there will be a legal advisor in your court too and they will advise the magistrates. It will take a little longer for the court to make your award but you're well on your way and those arrears will keep accruing.

He'll have to provide the court with all of his financial details, so bank statements, any benefits he receives, a full breakdown of his expenses, full details of his income. If you have evidence of his lifestyle and his income now then you can use that (helpful if he's told them that he's earning pittance), you'll need to take triplicate copies of these for the magistrates. Information on the cost of living in the country where he is residing now is helpful. If he's telling the court that he's spending £300 a week on food when people usually spend £50 then you can point this out. If he owns properties and is using the mortgage payments/utilities to increase his expenditure then you can tell the court about this. If he's telling the court that he's earning less then he actually is then the evidence can be helpful.

You can propose a figure for this year (it's fine to use the same amount that the CSA would award if he was living here, if your little one has additional needs you can request a higher amount to help with any additional costs but they may look at his income and decide that it's too high), and you can ask for this to be backdated to the date where you filled the forms (so 6 years ago, you'll have to remember the date when you filled as it's doubtful that they will know it), and they will use the income from this year when calculating this. I don't think courts automatically backdate, so you'd have to explain the problems that your ex has caused for you and your little one by his non-payment and see what they say. It's at their discretion, sadly, but it will help your case if you remain calm and stick to the facts. If you've been pushed into debt because of the non payment then tell them this etc, if your little one has had to miss out because of this then tell them. The court will just say the award has arrears going back to X date and these are to be paid by XYZ.

I hope this helps! :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure