Decision change after 12 years

Back in 2005 I was in arrears with my child maintenance after a number of letter exchanges and the fact my daughter came to live with me for her 2 year college course I received a statement from the CSA clearly stating that the outstanding balance was ZERO. there was no indication what so ever that the decision was temporary or could be reviewed at a later date.
I have now re located to the caribbean where i travel around the different Islands when I can get cheap transport. I am based in one Island where I have a PO box and collect my mail on an irregular bases ( approx monthly) .Last month I received two letters from the CSA , one stating that they had changed their minds regarding the decision made in 2005 and the other one containing various threats including legal action for not informing them of my change of address, not replying or contacting them regarding the outstanding amount and failing to keep up child maintenance payments. (MY daughter is now in her 30's.) Both letters were over a month old. Both only had a free post return address and both only had an 0800 phone number ( I can not phone 0800 numbers from outside the UK ).
At the present time the only income I have is my UK pensions ( which I guess is how they got my address) and with the current exchange rate I have to carefully manage my money and certainly can not pay the £3700 they are demanding. At the present time I can not access my bank account but I think they have already started taking money from my pension
So is there anything I can do to challenge this change of mind,
Who will this money go too? ( my ex left me with joint debts of close to £60K )
Why have they waited 13 years before trying to recover this money even tho' they told me the balance was zero? All the time I was working and could of repaid this money by way of monthly payments but no they wait until now when it will cause me hardship to pay
Oh and by the way I never received a penny in child support while my daughter was living with me attending college !!!

Comments

• CakeCrusader
    CakeCrusader Posts: 1,118 Forumite
    Hi, Andy. The UK Child Support Agency only has jurisdiction in the UK, and for some cases abroad where the NRP has strong ties to the UK (so if they are employed by a company here but work abroad). If you write to them, explain you don't live in the UK and tell them when you moved, they should close your case. You should appeal their decision to re-open your case while you're at it. There's online contact info for them here so you can do all of this online; https://contactnumbers.buzz/csa/
  • Thank you for the information. I will try your suggestion and see what happens. Thanks again.
  • CakeCrusader
    CakeCrusader Posts: 1,118 Forumite
    Not a problem at all, best of luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills