Running around in circles again

Options
13»

Comments

• MessyMare
    MessyMare Posts: 979 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    So I totally misjudged how my credit card payments work and on top of the £200 pounds I just paid off, another £25 minimum payment went to it, whoops! Oh well - I did a quick roll with the punches budget shuffle and we're still on track. At least it was unexpected debt payoff rather than an unexpected bill!

My debt figure has now recovered from my depressed - whack - a - holiday - on - the - card thing and is the lowest it has been. It's really encouraging to watch my net worth report on YNAB and see the debt shrinking and the net worth creeping up through negative to zero (Oh how I long for the day that I become worth zero, haha!).

I'm super excited for February and more debt payoff - obviously the mortgage payment brings the principle down by just over £125, and we pay our monthly payment to my Mum for our little home improvement loan.I'm thinking that with the pay period between February payday and March payday being the shortest of the year that I'm going to attempt a No/Very Low Spend Month. I'm going to try to keep the grocery spend low, minimise the petrol spend (probably just not driving anywhere on my lunch break, and trying not to drive anywhere at the weekend), have a very, very minimal fun spend - maybe just £10 so if I want to go to the pub with the girls I can manage a diet coke or two. This has the potential to free up so much money to be paid to my debt - my spends are always little fritters that leave me with nothing to show for it and no money at the end of the month. A cheap DVD here, a sandwich there, all adds up and I'm always kicking myself at the end of the month.

I know I have no self control so I've set myself up a few barriers. My husband is currently holding both of my debit cards. He will give them to me if I ask him for them, and he will give them to me on a Friday when I go shopping for the groceries. It sounds a bit pre-women's-liberation I know but just having the barrier of having to ask him for them will make me think twice about using them. If there are any emergencies I have a credit card linked to my mother's account; so I know I can use it in an emergency and send the money straight to her. That helps me to evaluate whether the situation really is an emergency or not.

I guess people will think I'm pathetic, not being able to do this stuff by myself. Honestly, I've got so much on my mind that's driving me crazy, so many things that need to be worked on at the same time that I think the only way to deal with it is physical barriers. I know what my goals are and I try to tell myself not to do something as it impacts those goals but sometimes in the very short term I just don't care about the long term. £3 on a meal deal doesn't feel like it hits the goal very much but it does every day that month.

Right, the washing machine has finished so time to go work on another goal (that goal being that my house doesn't look like a giant pigsty 24/7)
    DEBT: £3585.91/£76843
    Pay ALL your debt off by Xmas 2018 #033 £635.78/£2435.78
    EMERGENCY FUND: £1000/£1000
    Our greatest weakness lies in giving up; always try just one more time
  • MessyMare
    Options
    Heh I guess me plodding away at this isn't really very interesting but here I go again.

All of the direct debits have gone out, so we've paid the usual to Mum and cleared another tiny chunk off the principal of the mortgage. Updating that number in my signature has become my favourite part of my week.

So nothing much is going to happen from now until when I get paid; we've got an expensive vet bill coming up for my girl but that's exactly what the emergency fund is for and for once I'm not worried. There's enough in my sinking funds to not actually have to touch the savings account that the fund is in, so that can carry on earning interest (the sinking fund for my car insurance isn't required until April and the one for house insurance/tv license isn't required until July/August so they will be built back up by then)

So with January to March being the shortest pay period I'm looking forward to trying a low spend month. I'm thinking my rules will be:
    1. No driving aside from essential trips. This mean to and from work, and any medical catastrophes that come up. No driving anywhere in my lunch break (the burger van isn't an emergency) and no driving on the weekends. Grocery shopping can be done on a Monday evening after work.
    2. Grocery spends are only allowed if they are on a list and being done as part of a major shop. No lazy 'late home so grab a ready meal' rubbish.
    3. No internet purchases. No craft spend. I have craft materials coming out of my ears.
    4. £10 only allowed for fun money - a diet coke with the girls a couple of times.
    5. Post. Every. Day. Stay accountable. Even if it's just 'NSD' or '£xx.xx spend on blah'
    I've got a bit extra coming my way this month so I've already promised some of it to DH for fence repairs (we're going 50/50 on this one) and I was going to spend some of it on craft materials but I'm thinking...I could really hammer my credit card this month. I could get myself more assured of clearing it by Christmas like I've set out to do. If I can pay...£575 to it, I could just set an easy £150 DD every month and know I can clear it. Then any extra can just go back to my emergency fund. I don't know, it's a pretty incredible stretch but I'm thinking it's almost possible.

I just want this credit card debt gone. I want to close the card and get rid of it, I'm verging on not wanting a card at all. I'm going to keep my normal card for a short while until I can build up an emergency fund the same as my credit limit or maybe just one worth say 3 months wages then I'll get rid of that too. What with the mortgage and mobile contract it's not like my credit rating will take that much of a hit.

My goal for this week is to close my Simply Be account - I only opened it to get a discount and free shipping, so I can get rid of that now. I might go through my credit report actually and set my mind to closing anything that doesn't need to be open. I already got rid of one overdraft, so if I'm itching to tidy up my accounts now.
  • MessyMare
    Options
    Well, I'm two days into my pay period, one no spend and one low spend day. Today I've got to do the grocery shopping so I need to write my list, and I also need to stay in budget which is £30 for this week.

I've paid off a whopping (to me) £250 off my credit card with another £25 to come for the monthly direct debit (this card isn't one that reduces that amount if you make a payment, as I discovered last month). I wish I understood how people make £500 payments or more a month. I would have nothing left (I suppose that's the answer, they earn more money than me!).

I'm super happy with this as now my card has hit it's lowest balance since it was opened - I'm really proud of myself. I can't remember if I've already posted this but Mr MM was so disappointed in me when he found out about my card debt that it's making me even more proud to be facing it.

I'm looking forward to 1st March as that's another big day in my money month - mortgage payment applied to the balance (another £125 off our debt), the payment to mother goes out (another £200 to the debt) and also I get the interest paid on my post office account (woohoo! £1 to the emergency fund! Well, better off in my pocket than theirs)

So with this low spend month I've got £100 sitting in a separate category in YNAB. Each Thursday I get to I'm going to release £25 from this category and pay it off my credit card, providing I haven't spent any off budget money that week. I'm liking the idea, and thinking it will help keep my motivation up rather than trying to save it until the end of the month and pay it in a lump sum.

I keep looking ahead to the future and thinking about how much money I could have to save once our main two debts are paid off (the card and my mother). I'm humming and harring as to whether to take a break in between debts to build up more savings. We'll see - it's a long way off yet.
  • MessyMare
    Options
    Well, there's another £25 off the CC - taking me to a round £1800 owed, which is quite nice. Another £200 has gone to mum, bringing that one to £4500. I'm so disappointed to have to pay council tax again next month, haha. At least I haven't whizzed that money up the wall like I have done in previous years - it's done me some good.

I've had a massive wobble in my low spend month, but my purse is now upstairs out of sight and hopefully out of mind. I had some bad news this week which has led to some comfort eating and spending to the tune of about £40. It's certainly not the end of the world, and it's definitely something I can move on from.

I have my first therapy session this week - I'm trying to sort myself out with some new coping mechanisms and try to address some rubbish from the past. We'll see if it works. It's going to be tight paying for it but I'm hoping it's worth it.

I guess I'm lucky to be able to pay this money back the way I am. I can't imagine being so sstuck I can only afford the minimums. It's also making me aware of how much money I'm throwing away every month. I don't even have anything much to show for it, and that has to change. I suspect I hardly have any readers as I'm not caught in that debt prison. I make my payment every month, and just cut down on spending for spending's sake to do it. There's no drama here, no will-she-won't-she. But I need to start pushing myself, make myself less comfortable so maybe I don't get myself back into this situation.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I think you are doing great with the debt reductions and good idea to include your mortgage in your overall debt position. I use clear checkbook rather than YNAB but whatever works for you.

Good luck with the therapy session and hope it helps.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • sal1960
    sal1960 Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there, just popped in to say well done to you for getting a grip on things. You should be really proud to have taken control of your finances. I haven't been in your boat for a long while but I was and know how hard it all is . Keep it up and give yourself a pat on the back! X
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Oh dear I'm going to encourage you to spend some money :eek:. How much would the shelving cost for your office/craft room? Would you consider reducing an overpayment on the CC for a month and getting this instead? I'm just thinking that if you did that, got the room functional and supplies organised, it might encourage you to use and enjoy what you have rather than hanker after something else? It would also give you somewhere to banish yourself to when you get the desire to spend :).

Have you considered doing something like mystery shopping? You write very well so would have no problem with the reports. You won't earn a fortune but all extra is good and it would let you scratch your shopping 'itch' at someone else's expense. If you worked for a few different companies you could end up getting a small payment a few times a month which would let you make small extra payments and keep your motivation up.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • MessyMare
    Options
    gallygirl wrote: »
    Oh dear I'm going to encourage you to spend some money :eek:. How much would the shelving cost for your office/craft room? Would you consider reducing an overpayment on the CC for a month and getting this instead? I'm just thinking that if you did that, got the room functional and supplies organised, it might encourage you to use and enjoy what you have rather than hanker after something else? It would also give you somewhere to banish yourself to when you get the desire to spend :).

Have you considered doing something like mystery shopping? You write very well so would have no problem with the reports. You won't earn a fortune but all extra is good and it would let you scratch your shopping 'itch' at someone else's expense. If you worked for a few different companies you could end up getting a small payment a few times a month which would let you make small extra payments and keep your motivation up.

Hi Gally :)

Thank you for your comment - I have been doing a lot of overtime and one of my friends told me to think of something to spend the money on/work towards so it didn't feel like I was just doing the overtime because I had to. So, I've earned just enough to put the carpet down in the spare room, and next month's overtime will pay for a trip to Ikea :)

I used to do mystery shopping but the small amounts I did just didn't add up to make sense, so at the moment I'm just focusing on work overtime, but it's certainly something to revisit when that time has dried up, thank you :)

I've made such little progress on the surface over this past few weeks, but I did free up some cash to go to a counsellor, which so far has been worth every penny. I've allowed for two more sessions as I feel like I'm getting to the end of what I've been looking for from it.

I've faced up to YNAB yet again and rebuilt my budget, taking into account the fact that I've willfully ignored it for the past two-three weeks. No additional debt though, so at least there's that. And a four day weekend to boot, thank goodness for small mercies :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business