The trials & tribulations of a 1st time landlord & investor

Comments

• TallGirl
    TallGirl Posts: 5,532 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    No running today or yesterday needed break I think will do tomorrow. Dg had job interview near me it was really short but they liked her, we would be working a mile from each other. It!!!8217;s the area of law she wants to get out of kind of but it!!!8217;s more money and they do do other things so a major interest I got now. The job she went for at the end of November still hasn!!!8217;t come back to her as they were interviewing more people but now the agent has gone quiet so rubbish when you have been for an interview. I think this one will suit her better as I kind of know them through work plus it would actually help me.

Bought two mats to do gym work on £28 and some salad stuff so we could have a wrap tonight and one for lunch tomorrow. I!!!8217;ve got my hair cut tomorrow and then it!!!8217;s definitely run time. Chilling out before bed maybe some telly in a bit.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50
    PB Win 21 £225, 22 £275, 23 £900, Balance Mar  £30,850 + £12K added to pension) (Wins 24 Jan £200 Feb £150 Mar £75 Apr £125) 
    Plan to move to Denmark for FIRE by 2028 “May your decisions reflect your hopes not your fears”
    New diary aiming for fire https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414795/mortgage-free-now-aiming-for-fire#latest

• TallGirl
    Weekend is here had my hair cut £57 and that was with 25% off but I like it and it!!!8217;s worth it. No highlights needed at the moment.

Dg has already got a previsional job offer from the interview yesterday. I!!!8217;m pleased but it!!!8217;s only £1K more than she!!!8217;s on now and we don!!!8217;t have a lot of detail. I think she needs to negotiate more and think if she really wants it. Of course it would work well in my favour if she got it and we could do lunch together which would be fab actually. Let!!!8217;s see what happens if it!!!8217;s min holiday she needs more money for sure.

Went for a run when I got back and had healthy small dinner. We like cauliflower rice but it!!!8217;s a faff to make and cauliflower goes off quickly. Tried Iceland!!!8217;s frozen cauliflower rice they are great 50p a bag covers two of us so good for convenience.

Had hot chocolate and also ate a chocolate at the hair dressers plus two biscuits. Worst I!!!8217;ve been since bootcamp. Had to wear a belt today wish I hadn!!!8217;t put all my smaller trousers in the loft at my other house will be a while before I get them out.

Opened my next First Direct regular savers account 5% but of course not £300 a month but still good. So easy doing it online like it.

I must log into Nationwide and get that looked at should be fine but needs to chase estate agent that he!!!8217;s had my change of bank details.

Dg is on the phone to her mum I!!!8217;m really tired. Night night soon I think.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50
    PB Win 21 £225, 22 £275, 23 £900, Balance Mar  £30,850 + £12K added to pension) (Wins 24 Jan £200 Feb £150 Mar £75 Apr £125) 
    Plan to move to Denmark for FIRE by 2028 “May your decisions reflect your hopes not your fears”
    New diary aiming for fire https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414795/mortgage-free-now-aiming-for-fire#latest

• Tahlullah
    Tahlullah Posts: 1,086 Forumite
    Congratulations to DG on the job offer!!

Tx
    Still striving to be mortgage free before I get to a point I can't enjoy it.

Owed at the end of -
    02/19 - £78,400. 04/19 - £85,000. 05/19 - £83,300. 06/19 - £78,900.
    07/19 - £77,500. 08/19 - £76,000.
  • TallGirl
    Thank you she!!!8217;s about to provisionally accept it If she can keep her holiday entitlement and get a bit more in wages. We shall see if they take it.

Lovely weekend Golf yesterday and today and played 18 which was so good my game is coming together I can play with the ladies again if only dg had a handicap.

Made bolognaise sauce boxed up so there is enough for lunch next day we still keep portions small but prefer hot lunches at the moment.

Pictures tomorrow so no running which isn!!!8217;t ideal but it!!!8217;s our third anniversary and we!!!8217;re seeing 50 shades it!!!8217;s a tradition obviously can!!!8217;t used two for one which is a pain but it!!!8217;s a one off and better to go on the actual day.

Going to sort my new Nationwide bank account out and open the regular saver needs to be done and shouldn!!!8217;t be too bad I hope got everything I think.

Dg made some smoothie really nice better than the Diet Pepsi she used to drink.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• vandanfc
    vandanfc Posts: 2,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Congrats. to DG on her job offer,I hope it all works out for her.
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Congrats to DG, I hope she can negotiate an improved package!
  • TallGirl
    bugslet wrote: »
    Congrats to DG, I hope she can negotiate an improved package!

Thanks she did negotiate it £1k higher but that was only £2k more than her current salery and she would loose 10 days leave which wasn't worth it. The real clincher was that they weren't really offering the private side she wanted it was all legal aid which is what she wants to leave so not a good jump. It has boosted her confidence to get the offer and she's a bit happier at her current job so now the grass isn't so much greener on the other side. The right job will be out there for her I know and she wasn't to set up self employed when were back down south.

Work is a bit strange at the moment I'm being asked to so stuff I know suits my skills and I enjoy doing but it'not my job. CEO still hasn't handed over the stuff I should be doing so a chat is needed. I enjoy the other stuff but it's what I did three years ago and won't help my cv to be honest.

Diet still going well exercise not so great should have run tonight but dg had hair cut and Monday we went to the pictures but did run Tues and will tomorrow as well.

Bath now then bed thank god it's Friday tomorrow.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• TallGirl
    Gosh time flies it's Tuesday but that is good two days work left before Gambia. Been going ok cold and travel a pain but ok. Had my one to one today and I'm going to get more of my project handed back to me which is a good thing if a little late.

I'm doing other stuff which is good and I can learn from those but it's things I've done before and only reason I'm doing them is because person who should be doing them are incompetent and had been since they joined ten years ago and never been challenged on this so crazy.

DG is starting to plan her self employment and we are now slowly starting to see a picture emerge of us back where I used to live. We need to move back to my house (which I love) but exDH bless is soul was found dead there so DG not too keen on staying there. I would like a bigger place but I love the location more when I say location I mean within the same four roads but it's perfect next door to the golf club and 20 min drive to main line station plus easy access to major motorways. So DG is happy to move back in for day 6 months then sell up and buy something slightly bigger spending approx £100k which I can do from my inheritance which means no mortgage and house stays mine not DG and mortgage free. She can live there for free which will help her new self employment. Her and I might then look to invest in buy to let so she gets on the property ladder herself. I don't have to worry about being employed when we make the move or if I want to I can go part time or even low paid. Suits me nicely actually. Play more golf for sure.

My business premises which I inherited which aren't really mine at the moment (can of worms if I did) would make the perfect base for DGs new business so all good potentially. Anyway nice dreams which can become a reality all very much because I am mortgage free for sure and also because I want my future back down south rather than super expensive London.

But for now my contract ends Aug 19 so nothing will happen before end of this year and DG has to persuade her employers to let her be a consultant instead of her wages. It is nice to have plans actually although you also have to live for the here and now.

Tomorrow I've got a work do to go to migth be quite late I just hope the trans stay ok today was a bit dodgy. Should really pack but cannot be asked don't actually need that much is a pure beach holiday.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• TallGirl
    Had a fab time in Gambia lovely and hot with a slight breeze so not too hot and the sea refreshing to go in. Ate a lot of portion sizes moderate did drink a lot of beer but didn't get drunk once. Spent £500 from the joint kitty and £100 of my own money but I did have 3 1.5 hour massages and bought two made to measure kaftans so quite good as we were breakfast only.

Back home late Friday so Golf lesson yesterday and practiced today. My game is almost there dg not quite. I need to get back to playing with the ladies saw them all today they are so nice.

No exercise which is bad but running tomorrow and squats and also cutting food portions slightly. Lunch prepped for tomorrow and pretty much sorted the week out did Lidl and Asda shops yesterday.

Sorted my financial update out slightly early for the end of the quarter but seeing IFA Saturday so needs doing. Currently I hold 35% in cash incl premium bonds, 21% in stocks and shares incl ISA and 44% in pensions. Need to talk to him about plan to buy property with no mortgage once I sell mine.

My property made £10000 profit before tax so happy with that. Tenant emailed looks like I need a new sliding door as they took the barrel out but it's 25 years old so it's not a big loss. Annoying none the less.

Tenant wants to stay up to two years so that's good but I'll just go for one year but as my contract ends Aug 19 it's one and a half really. While we were away got a linked in message from dream job and job that was up 6 months ago was back but it closed friday so when I said I couldn't get CV back within 24 hours he lost interest. Wasn't meant to be again obviously wrong timing but they did have loads of jobs up.

Dread a little bit going into work but my team is so good and my ceo just run a lot of my job still so I'm sure it will all be fine.

We didn't celebrate Mother's Day as it's my mums birthday on the 3/3 but I spoke to her on her birthday and sent her flowers. She was quite snowed in so had to cancel her brunch. We're going over in April for the hotel stay. Hope everyone has had a nice Mother's Day and sorry to those who don't have a mother anymore. Seeing DGs mother on Friday but she's working that weekend so will be quite brief.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    TallGirl wrote: »
    Gosh time flies it's Tuesday but that is good two days work left before Gambia. Been going ok cold and travel a pain but ok. Had my one to one today and I'm going to get more of my project handed back to me which is a good thing if a little late.

I'm doing other stuff which is good and I can learn from those but it's things I've done before and only reason I'm doing them is because person who should be doing them are incompetent and had been since they joined ten years ago and never been challenged on this so crazy.

DG is starting to plan her self employment and we are now slowly starting to see a picture emerge of us back where I used to live. We need to move back to my house (which I love) but exDH bless is soul was found dead there so DG not too keen on staying there. I would like a bigger place but I love the location more when I say location I mean within the same four roads but it's perfect next door to the golf club and 20 min drive to main line station plus easy access to major motorways. So DG is happy to move back in for day 6 months then sell up and buy something slightly bigger spending approx £100k which I can do from my inheritance which means no mortgage and house stays mine not DG and mortgage free. She can live there for free which will help her new self employment. Her and I might then look to invest in buy to let so she gets on the property ladder herself. I don't have to worry about being employed when we make the move or if I want to I can go part time or even low paid. Suits me nicely actually. Play more golf for sure.

My business premises which I inherited which aren't really mine at the moment (can of worms if I did) would make the perfect base for DGs new business so all good potentially. Anyway nice dreams which can become a reality all very much because I am mortgage free for sure and also because I want my future back down south rather than super expensive London.

But for now my contract ends Aug 19 so nothing will happen before end of this year and DG has to persuade her employers to let her be a consultant instead of her wages. It is nice to have plans actually although you also have to live for the here and now.

Tomorrow I've got a work do to go to migth be quite late I just hope the trans stay ok today was a bit dodgy. Should really pack but cannot be asked don't actually need that much is a pure beach holiday.

A move back sounds good - and hopefully your garden hasn't suffered whilst you have been away. London is fun, but sooo expensive.

Really sounds as if things are coming together for you both and from experience, it makes sense to keep things in your name.

I hope DG gets the consulting gig, that would great for you both.
    TallGirl wrote: »
    Had a fab time in Gambia lovely and hot with a slight breeze so not too hot and the sea refreshing to go in. Ate a lot of portion sizes moderate did drink a lot of beer but didn't get drunk once. Spent £500 from the joint kitty and £100 of my own money but I did have 3 1.5 hour massages and bought two made to measure kaftans so quite good as we were breakfast only.

Back home late Friday so Golf lesson yesterday and practiced today. My game is almost there dg not quite. I need to get back to playing with the ladies saw them all today they are so nice.

No exercise which is bad but running tomorrow and squats and also cutting food portions slightly. Lunch prepped for tomorrow and pretty much sorted the week out did Lidl and Asda shops yesterday.

Sorted my financial update out slightly early for the end of the quarter but seeing IFA Saturday so needs doing. Currently I hold 35% in cash incl premium bonds, 21% in stocks and shares incl ISA and 44% in pensions. Need to talk to him about plan to buy property with no mortgage once I sell mine.

My property made £10000 profit before tax so happy with that. Tenant emailed looks like I need a new sliding door as they took the barrel out but it's 25 years old so it's not a big loss. Annoying none the less.

Tenant wants to stay up to two years so that's good but I'll just go for one year but as my contract ends Aug 19 it's one and a half really. While we were away got a linked in message from dream job and job that was up 6 months ago was back but it closed friday so when I said I couldn't get CV back within 24 hours he lost interest. Wasn't meant to be again obviously wrong timing but they did have loads of jobs up.

Dread a little bit going into work but my team is so good and my ceo just run a lot of my job still so I'm sure it will all be fine.

We didn't celebrate Mother's Day as it's my mums birthday on the 3/3 but I spoke to her on her birthday and sent her flowers. She was quite snowed in so had to cancel her brunch. We're going over in April for the hotel stay. Hope everyone has had a nice Mother's Day and sorry to those who don't have a mother anymore. Seeing DGs mother on Friday but she's working that weekend so will be quite brief.

Holidays and diets do not go together! Well done though on managing so well. Bet you were glad to miss the worst of the snow:(.

Good luck with the IFA - it sounds a good spread, but that is what s/he is for, to give advice and move things round a bit if possible.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure