PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Recycling- tenants rights. Advice needed

Options
I moved into a flat a few months ago and it doesn't offer recycling opportunities. My tenancy is through an estate agent and I appreciate it says there isn't recycling in the contract. However, in this day and age, why not?
It's a 12 block flat and I see the recycling truck passing daily.
The estate agents keep fobbing me off saying the council won't let them, but council workers have said I can. Now the estate agents have come back saying no because it attracts rats- we have normal bins though.

Do I have any rights here? It seems so wrong not recycling!

Comments

• anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,280 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There are no rights.
    However, if the Council will give you a bin and there is somewhere sensible to put it for storage and collection then you don’t need permission, just do it.
  • Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    If you're that concerned then why not take yours to the local recycling centre?
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    The council has rights - it can specify the numbers and types of containers that residents must use, and what types of waste are prohibited and allowed in each type of container.

You could ask your Council to pursue this, but you will probably upset the agent in the process.
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,477 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Which in itself is amazing when else where you can be fined for not recycling.

All councils should give the opportunity to recycle.

However you could also go to local recycle banks if you are that keen.
  • This would normally be a Council decision, not for estate agents or landlords. However, blocks of flats can sometimes have slightly different rules because of accessibility, cost to the council, if the properties are on private roads, etc.

Contact the Council and ask them, they will tell you the way things are. If they don't currently want you to or allow you to recycle at your property, ask if there are any future plans to allow you to.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    A recycle truck passes daily?
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The management agency would probably have to pay for the bin and might not want to do that.
  • Nick_C
    Options
    The management agency would probably have to pay for the bin and might not want to do that.

That would depend entirely on the council and the type of bin they deemed to be appropriate.
  • theartfullodger
    Options
    Recycling truck passing every day?? That isn't for residential properties.

You (yes, YOU!) the occupant have the right to use such recycling facilities/bins that the council make available. You (I sincerely hope..) pay council tax, get your money's worth!

It nothing really to do with the tenancy, the landlord or the agent. (Except there's probably a clause about behaving normally).

Recycle away! It's fashionable!
  • Nick_C
    Options
    Recycling truck passing every day?? That isn't for residential properties.

Could well be if OP lives on a route to a depot or transfer station.

Some properties get their recycling bins emptied multiple times a week.

Bins at local recycling centres are sometimes emptied by lorries doing domestic collections. It's all household waste. They could even be mixing household waste and commercial waste in the same vehicle if they have microchips in their trade bins and on-board weighing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure