PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We can't find the Septic Tank

Options
We have a purchase going through on a house. It was built in the 70's and we have had a full structural survey.

We raised with the surveyor we hadn't been able to find the septic tank. The surveyor located two vent pipes but also was not able to locate the septic tank (there is a large garden area next to a canal, which in part is overgrown).

The rest of the survey was fine overall, though we did negotiate some further money odd due to some roofing issues. The vendor who is dealing with probate after inheriting the house from a friend knows very little about the property and has no idea either and to his knowledge doesn't think it had been emptied ever and is one that has 'chambers'.

We have spoken to the vendor and insisted that he has it inspected, emptied and some kind of certification from a company which is then sent to our solicitor (as well as confirming the location of the tank)! Does this sound OK? Is there anything else we need to do?

Comments

• Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 12 January 2018 at 8:13PM
    Options
    As I understand septic tanks they don't need emptying. Cess pits are different though.

Edit. Just discovered septic tanks should be emptied annually nowadays.
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • societys_child
    Options
    We have spoken to the vendor and insisted that he has it inspected, emptied and some kind of certification from a company which is then sent to our solicitor (as well as confirming the location of the tank)! Does this sound OK? Is there anything else we need to do?
    If I was the vendor, I'd probably suggest you need to look for somewhere else.
  • lovehols
    lovehols Posts: 214 Forumite
    Options
    If he can't confirm the location or it, we can't and our surveyor can't, we need someone to confirm where it is! The only way of doing this is to ask him to get someone to confirm where it is and inspect it.

Surely anyone would need to know this? I've never been on a septic tank before but I was lead to believe they should be emptied (perhaps we are wrong then)!

Unfortunately as the vendor is dealing with probate lots of info we have had off him so far is wrong, the date of the property was wrong by about 30 years according to the surveyor, information about boundaries etc. Actually the vendor has been fine about is asking questions.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Is the surveyor saying that the septic tank isn't under the vent pipes? If so what are the vent pipes for?
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    As explained, septic tanks need only eriodic emptying - indeed emptying them removes the bacteria required to break down the effluent.

Yes, there will probably be several chambers in which the effluent breaks down, and then an outflow (of by then relatively clean water), hopefully not into the canal,,,,,,!

If the vendor does not know, you'll have tto rely on your own inspections. I'd go and have a good poke around the garden! Then you could ask an installer to inspect, but as said, e will probably need to empty it, for which you'd need the vendor's permission. whether you can pursuade the vendor to pay is up to him.

For a better understanding, use google or duckduckgo eg

https://www.southernwater.co.uk/septic-tanks-and-cesspits
  • lovehols
    Options
    I only had a brief conversation today with the surveyor, we will get the full report in a few days. If the location could have been found that would have been a start as our surveyor would have looked at it and at least inside and we would have felt some assurance, we don't know if it is brick, plastic etc.
  • lovehols
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    As explained, septic tanks need only eriodic emptying - indeed emptying them removes the bacteria required to break down the effluent.

Yes, there will probably be several chambers in which the effluent breaks down, and then an outflow (of by then relatively clean water), hopefully not into the canal,,,,,,!

If the vendor does not know, you'll have tto rely on your own inspections. I'd go and have a good poke around the garden! Then you could ask an installer to inspect, but as said, e will probably need to empty it, for which you'd need the vendor's permission. whether you can pursuade the vendor to pay is up to him.

For a better understanding, use google or duckduckgo eg

https://www.southernwater.co.uk/septic-tanks-and-cesspits

Thank you so much, yes I'd read about not emptying in full to prevent removing the bacteria. I'd read that some people put dead chickens down them. The vendor has said he will pay for it to be inspected but I think a third visit to have a good poke around at the weekend may be helpful.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    lovehols wrote: »
    Thank you so much, yes I'd read about not emptying in full to prevent removing the bacteria. I'd read that some people put dead chickens down them. The vendor has said he will pay for it to be inspected but I think a third visit to have a good poke around at the weekend may be helpful.
    1st time I've heard that one! Cooked or raw?

Did the vendorr mean he'll arrange an inspection and show the report to you (in which case, inspected by who?), or he'll reimburse you if you arrange the inspection?
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Alter_ego wrote: »
    As I understand septic tanks they don't need emptying. Cess pits are different though.

Edit. Just discovered septic tanks should be emptied annually nowadays.

I lived in a property for 10 years (2004-14) that had a septic tank serving 6 properties, and it was never emptied in that time. Emptying annually would have been an awful waste of money.
  • lovehols
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    1st time I've heard that one! Cooked or raw?

Did the vendorr mean he'll arrange an inspection and show the report to you (in which case, inspected by who?), or he'll reimburse you if you arrange the inspection?

Apparently a dead chicken, not like one you get at Tesco but a feathered dead one. A local farmer said he put a dead fox in his, something about bacteria... I've no idea, sounds gross to me!

He said he would get a professional company to confirm location and get something in writing and it inspected. I'm completely confused. I've spent hours reading about sh*t - literally :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure