Anyone know the process of what happens with the car after part exchange?

Comments

• Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,685 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I doubt they'd plug anything into the ODB unless there was a fault light on, and depending on the size of the Genie it's unlikely anyone has noticed it's plugged in (or unusual).
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    takman wrote: »
    So it does have an inbuilt mobile connection that allows you to remotely track the vehicle. When you started a thread about this and i checked the site it made no mention of having it's own data connection to allow you to do this.

The AA representative even said you had to use WIFI or phone data to make it work. When what they should have said is that it connects to mobile network by itself.

Though in that same thread it says:
    alanf1314 wrote: »
    This is wrong. The Car Genie has a SIM card in it and transmits information via mobile data. You can even see where the car is when you're not in it. No BT connection is required. I use my phone hands-free via BT and the device still works perfectly

And the AA description says:
    “Any faults reported to members are also pushed to our diagnostic dashboard within the AA, so they’ll be constantly monitored by our technical helpdesk team. If it’s something that needs to be addressed quickly, the team will get the relevant technical information and make an outbound call to the member.”

So it’s definitely got its own connection back to the AA.
    ====
  • Jlawson118
    Jlawson118 Posts: 1,132 Forumite
    Someone already has - the dealer!

An idle thought - I wonder what sort of offence, if any, you might be committing by monitoring the car?

Well yep, that's true. I probably am committing an offence but I was just curious the other day as to whether this device had been removed or not and went onto the app before I deleted it where I saw even after two weeks, this device is still picking up data.

I didn't really see it as an offence but you could be right. In my defence I'm hardly going to chase after a Corsa when I've just bought a nearly new Audi :rotfl: But saying that, I bet some people would.
  • With my current car I can lock/unlock it, check its location, see fuel and oil levels, service information, etc via a website or an app.

While I am sure it is not the case, reading the manual seems to suggest you may be reliant on the soon to be previous owner deleting his account/app for this to stop working when the keys are handed over.
  • ess0two
    ess0two Posts: 3,606 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Does it really matter, whatever the car is upto?
    Official MR B fan club,dont go............................
  • Jlawson118
    Jlawson118 Posts: 1,132 Forumite
    ess0two wrote: »
    Does it really matter, whatever the car is upto?

No not really, I'm just curious
  • Jlawson118 wrote: »
    No not really, I'm just curious

Try Grindr.
  • wgl2014
    wgl2014 Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    Jlawson118 wrote: »
    Well yep, that's true. I probably am committing an offence.

What offence do you think you could be committing? I can't think of any.

If you started stalking the cars new owner based on the data you received then maybe.....
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    wgl2014 wrote: »
    What offence do you think you could be committing? I can't think of any.
    He'd be breaching the Computer Misuse Act, for a start.
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Ok let's not get all melodramatic now.

Police aren't gonna come knocking doors down. National papers arent gonna start a man hunt. No nuns have been injured in the process.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure